PDA

View Full Version : Minding Step Grandchildren

teacake2
02-02-2014, 02:16 PM
Hi, I will be starting to look after my son's partners two children from a previous relationship after Feb half term. The youngest is 3 and the oldest is 8. Now I am only doing this for a short time as Mum goes on maternity leave soon and DS is a teacher so no problem with holidays, I will not be charging for them as they need help at the moment. (I know its is silly not charging, but they really are struggling for a few months so I said I would help).
What I want to know is, do I still do all the paper work for them as though they were other mindees (not to do with family)? I am assuming I will have to do contracts, all about me details etc, is there anything else I will need or will that be enough? you would think by now I would know after 30 years but I haven't looked after close family before.
Thanks
Teacake2

Smiley
02-02-2014, 02:36 PM
I can understand why you are wondering what to do.have you read the document Registration not required?

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/filedownloading/?file=documents/registration-forms-and-guides/r/Registration%20not%20required.pdf&refer=0

blue bear
02-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Difficult one, are you actually childminding them if not receiving any money? Does it not comeinto doing your son and his partner a favour, if you had your child's friend round for tea you don't need all the paperwork, this is more long term yes but essentially the same.
Think I'd be emailing ofsted to be sure (always email so you have your answer in writing)

candy cat
02-02-2014, 07:18 PM
I think if no money changes hands then no paperwork.... But will still count in your numbers :0)

hectors house
03-02-2014, 07:45 AM
I look after my grandson one day a week for no charge, only paperwork I have is child record form and permission forms - I haven't done a contract. I do try to do Learning Journal for him but when I get behind with others I do then cut back on what I do in his.

teacake2
03-02-2014, 10:12 AM
Thank you all for your replies, no money will be paid so I think I will do permissions, child details and maybe a simple contract just to cover myself, it is only till end of May as well, and won't have them in the holidays unless DS has to do something for his school.
Teacake2