PDA

View Full Version : need a kick up the ...

Bluebell
31-01-2014, 10:06 PM
I am really struggling to get on with my 10,000 word essay. In May I had 2,500 words and have not managed to contribute anymore to it. It took me a lot of time and effort consistently over a few months (evenings and weekends) to get that together and I had all the resources I needed to start me off.
I then had a break to complete my EYP, then I had a break for the summer, then I didn't know if I was actually registered on the course or not, then I couldn't get library books out - its been one excuse after another and I've let all this time pass me by! I have no idea which direction to go, how to approach it, when I'm going to find the time to do it - uggghh!

Someone give me a kick up the bum - hand in date is end of May and I really, really need to get on with it!! I am so full on busy right now - with kids, family commitments, work commitments etc etc etc I just don't seem to be spending my time or energy on the right things!

I have an appointment with my tutor next week and really wanted to have something to show for it but I just seem to end up going round in circles. If anything I have more questions than ever! I Know what I'm going to be doing this weekend!!

sarah707
01-02-2014, 08:03 AM
Break it down into bite sized chunks - do you have your overview? Start - middle paragraph / section contents - end?

Use those to sketch out what you want to talk about - then get some quotes - then waffle in between them!

Come on you know how to structure an essay!! :jump for joy:

MessybutHappy
01-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Write something! even if it's complete drivel, write it! once you start you'll keep going. even if you write "I need to research..... " once it's down in black and white it'll be easier!

FloraDora
01-02-2014, 09:42 AM
I find if I timetable study, the same as CMing, or club commitments etc... Then I get down to it better.

I am a little anal with my diary but I pencil in when I hope to do everything e.g early Sunday a.m. Read ....... I spend time with diary every week and work out windows of opportunity to read and study, put them in, if I keep to it I feel great, if I don't, I know that I have missed something and a bit of a conscience seeps in so I pencil in an extra session asap.

If a window just does not exist due to other commitments, social life etc.. I know in a week or so I will have to make a big window appear to catch up. I put it on the house calendar so dH knows my intended schedule and usually plans something for himself to do....I have always done this as the children were growing up, although then DH knew if reports was scrawled all over Saturday then he would be the main parent, and I would do they same when he had reports or school play rehearsals 4 weekends in October!

I don't watch TV much, I have always got up really early before anyone else is up, I then have more day to do things, yet the majority of my study commitments are still finalised close to deadlines, I am more prolific if I am under a bit of pressure!

Smiley
01-02-2014, 09:09 PM
I also study and get going with assignments close to deadlines, I work better under pressure, probably because panic sets in and I know I can no longer use avoidance tactics :laughing:

The Juggler
01-02-2014, 10:45 PM
one kick up the bottom duly delivered to all who need it :laughing::laughing::laughing: