PDA

View Full Version : Transitions support for the child left behind...

samb
31-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Can anyone recommend any books and activities I can do to support an almost 2 year old who I think is struggling with changes?

She is almost full time with me and comes for the longest days too so she sees all the comings and goings of the other children every day. I had a child leave in November, another 2 leave this week and another 2 due to leave at the end of term and I think she is becoming effected by this. She is due to have a sibling in July and they plan to cut her hours with me drastically and then completely stop and then she will go to preschool. So there's a lot of changes going on bless her.

She is so bright, communicates really well, very able physically and generally socially great- she's at that really cute copying and playing alongside others as well as seeking others ou t and involving them in her play etc, she is well mannered and helpful. However she is biting- really servers almost breaking the skin and leaving awful bruises. She responds after she has done it (apologies es straight away, stroked the persons arm etc and looks upset if I take Her away from the activities - as a sort of times out and to clam the situation.

I have basic books about the new baby and starting school etc. but not sure about books to do with other people leaving and you staying? Especially for that age group. But bearing in mind she could cope with those aimed slightly older. I am going to make a photo register for all the children so they can put their picture into the house when they arrive, be in the holding area if they are going to be coming that day and taken off completely for those not coming back, I thought it would be helpful for them all but particularly aimed at her. Any other ideas?

lisbet
31-01-2014, 08:00 PM
Could she maybe be in charge of adding the photos to the register as they children arrive and then taking them off again? To give her a feeling of control about the situation? Or, if the other children want to add their own photos (probably will!) then maybe she could have a duplicate one to be in charge of? x

samb
31-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Could she maybe be in charge of adding the photos to the register as they children arrive and then taking them off again? To give her a feeling of control about the situation? Or, if the other children want to add their own photos (probably will!) then maybe she could have a duplicate one to be in charge of? x
That's a good idea thank you :-)