PDA

View Full Version : I just fell for the line..... What a mug!

Aunty vanna
31-01-2014, 12:44 PM
As you know I'm a newbie and slowly but surely getting the hang of things.
I had a lovely lady ring making and enquiry for her child. Some of our discussion made alarm bells ring in my head but nevertheless I did try to be genuinely helpful. She is having real difficulties finding care. As it turns out I can't accommodate all of her request but she seemed really eager to take what I could. I offered to ask around for her and she said she would also look around for better options. (Sorry for the waffle) I asked around and have been told that the child in question is a nightmare and I should not do it.
I'm dreading her getting back to me now!!!
Would be very grateful of advice I know if pushed I will back down as I'm too soft!

miffy
31-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Personally I'd meet mum and child and make your own mind up.

If you want to give it a go then have a few sessions over a trial period before you commit to a full contract.

Miffy xx

loocyloo
31-01-2014, 12:54 PM
meet with mum and have an honest discussion with her (but don't tell her you have been told child is a nightmare, but try and ask 'leading' questions, such as why she is looking for (new?) childcare, any concerns/issues she has about her child etc )

some children are nightmares for some people and fine with others. your setting might be the best thing ever for this child ( it might not be too! so if you don't think its for you, then don't be afraid to say no )

I minded a child who had been through more than half the local minders in a very short space of time, then a minder friend of mine, who knew mum ( but didn't have space for child ), asked if I would consider child, as she thought I would 'suit' him ... he was a wotsit, and hard work, but, he stayed with me for 3 years and my own children adored him. all the other minders asked how I coped etc and I didn't do anything different to the way I usually worked, but we did 'click'.

equally, I minded another child who just didn't fit in with us. he went to another minder and stayed there till they moved away.

good luck x

unalindura77
31-01-2014, 12:56 PM
As you know I'm a newbie and slowly but surely getting the hang of things.
I had a lovely lady ring making and enquiry for her child. Some of our discussion made alarm bells ring in my head but nevertheless I did try to be genuinely helpful. She is having real difficulties finding care. As it turns out I can't accommodate all of her request but she seemed really eager to take what I could. I offered to ask around for her and she said she would also look around for better options. (Sorry for the waffle) I asked around and have been told that the child in question is a nightmare and I should not do it.
I'm dreading her getting back to me now!!!
Would be very grateful of advice I know if pushed I will back down as I'm too soft!

Well don't worry, you weren't to know....I can tell you I've been doing this for only a few months and you will learn quickly to realise you have to accept and choose to work with them also, so it's not only about selling yourself. (I'm getting rather picky about who I take on now!).

Although I am tough on paper, in person I am a complete weakling who when faced with such sentences as 'It would be so much kinder to our pockets if you could wait until AUGUST for the deposit' look back at the parent and say 'oh I know it's not easy is it' and then when they're gone I send them a polite email saying hey ho this isn't going to work!

So, always email is the moral of the story. If you're like me and it will take you a while to toughen up face to face:D:D

~Grasshopper~
31-01-2014, 12:59 PM
hi

id deffo make your own mind up. i took on a child and was warned by lots of local minders/afterschool club that they didnt pay, child was a nightmare and mum has assaulted a member of staff!!!!.

i can honestly say i had no problems at all.

good luck x

unalindura77
31-01-2014, 12:59 PM
The other advice is great and I didn't think that way...but you have nothing to lose and I have learned a lot from interviewing families I never want to see again , not in a very good mood today as you can see! :angry::angry:

claireLouise
31-01-2014, 01:10 PM
Just want to add, be careful, I have given families the benefit of the doubt and both were nightmares and the parents were worse and very angry when things didn't work out and I served notice.

Aunty vanna
31-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Thank you for all your advice. Couldn't survive without you lovely childminders! Learning so much on here.

Chatterbox Childcare
31-01-2014, 02:21 PM
I would also meet with the parents and make up your mind

If you are still not sure make sure you get paid up front with deposit and no money no contract. If you don't want the child make the money too high and they will go elsewhere