PDA

View Full Version : what do you do when parents visit for the first time?

Annabelle
31-01-2014, 11:56 AM
Hi, I am reluctantly having to look for new clients for various reasons and would value your opinions.

Had a lady visit last week who needed the perfect hours, so showed her round the house and did my spiel (bit out of practice as haven't had to do it for a while) but we got on well etc. at the end of the visit she turns to me and says shes already got baby down for a nursery place and she'll probably go with the nursery!

Next lady visits, don't show her round the house but she's not sure about my location as it might be too far for her to walk etc. which is understandable, even though she knew before she came where I live!! wants 1 day a week.

Today, didn't show lady around house, nice baby, only wants place until September when she has full time place with another childminder. She said she'd like to use me, I told her I was going to see others as I'd ideally like to full the space more permanently. wants 2 days.

Got another woman coming this afternoon with a 3 yr old, who will have pre-school place in September. wants 2.5 days.

My question is, do you show prospective parents around your home, what do you talk to them about, how far do you go with what you talk about? and who would you go with? I feel none of them are going to be permanent or want the hours that I want to give...

ziggy
31-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Children only go in kitchen and playroom, so when parents first visit i usually take them in playroom then we can sit and chat and i can interact with child. If they ask i show them bedroom where children sleep.

I usually ask firstly what it is there are looking for (times, days) Tell them what i charge, talk about holidays etc, then tell them activities we do, groups we attend. Show them my certificates n registration cert. Then ask if they have any questions

Not sure who i would go with tbh but i usually go with first one to sign contract.

primula
31-01-2014, 12:24 PM
I only show parents around the areas I use for childminding and then I show them the folder with info/policies etc and have an informal chat, interact with baby/child etc and see how it goes really, I can usually tell as the conversation goes if it looks good or not! I tell them that this first visit is to see if they like my setting ( and If I like them and the child!!) and another visit is booked if they want to bring a partner, If I were you I would take the baby for sept as he/she will have settled then and they may not wont to move the baby? If the other parent that visited has gone for the nursery, then I would say I hope that works out ok for you but if you find that the nursery is not for you please feel free to get in touch! you never know and you parted on good terms and hopefully they will remember this and may even recommend you in the future?!! try not to take things personally, its difficult for parents sometimes to make decisions about the care for their children.

cathtee
31-01-2014, 05:05 PM
I have only ever shown parents where the lo will play, and they have never asked to see elsewhere. If they do come to me some have used the loo on collection but otherwise the rest of my house stays private.

unalindura77
01-02-2014, 03:43 PM
I normally tell them I have to be somewhere at x time as I've had a few last over an hour and a half, even I get carried away chatting but then I hear those dreaded words 'would it be ok next week for my husband to meet you?'. I feel like saying why didn't he come today for gods sake as normally it's just to get the hubby to answer questions they didn't feel brave enough to ask you

I have them in the lounge where our play area is and if it's gone well I show them the room children sleep in before they leave which they really like to see

One cheeky woman asked to see my kitchen/daughters room, I did let her but next time I won't. The kitchen is fine but not my daughters room

alex__17
01-02-2014, 06:36 PM
I was going to ask a similar question, had my first family over this morning, was so nervous and I've lost my voice so was croaking away, think it went well but didn't think I interacted as well as I normally would of with the kids as I can barely talk, and wish I'd showed them rooms before sitting down in living/playroom to chat, they did use loo so saw most but would of been nice to point things out.
Just felt l didn't give enough info, even forgot to show file! Oh well, lessons learnt for next time! I think I'll try not to be so nervous next time, was fine when they were here, just me worrying before they arrived!

Greengrass74
01-02-2014, 06:51 PM
The thing is to be proud of your setting and what you offer. We all work hard to make our settings great for the Lo's so why not show them off.

I show new parents the area that is used for childminding and just talk about what I offer. I ask them what they are looking to get from me. I have a portfolio for them to look at which has an all about me bit, training qualifications, certificates etc, photos from every day activities, reference letters, policies and procedures, registration info, insurance info. I give them the portfolio to look at but most just flick through it.

I always do the first visit out of hours so that I can give them my full attention, I then ask if they want to come back and see how the setting works when children are here.

Like I have said be confident and proud about what you have worked for and it should be ok.

trickiedickie
02-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Since the beginning of Jan I have had 5 parents visit with 2 returning visits. So 7 visits all together each lasting on average 50 minutes (even the returning ones). Not one has decided to use me :(. So I am probably the wrong person to answer this post as I am obviously doing something wrong.

I bring them into my living room, they sit down, child has a wee play for 5 mins with toys in living room. Then I invite them to look around the other rooms downstairs that I use for childminding. So the play room (which is quite small). Child usually has a play in there for 5/10 mins. Then I take them into my sun room (so have to go through my kitchen) and child will play there for 10 mins too.

Then I encourage them back into my living room as more baby toys and usually by this point the baby/toddler is attempting to shut the dolls house door on their fingers etc. in the sun room.

Then parent and child has been staying for a further 30 mins in my living room. Child still having a ball as all new toys to play with but by the end of the 50 mins I find conversation is drying up and parent still not always taking the hint to go.

I have given them my welcome pack and usually say they can take it home. Though I am not doing that anymore. They can read the booklet in my house and though I know they won't get through it I am not offering for them to take it with them.

I feel after a 50 minute visit can suffice. I text them the next day thanking them for visiting and tell them to contact me if they have any other questions. I have the lovely ladies and men on this forum to thank for that piece of advise.

I have 2 visits this week. Rejection is becoming my middle name. I am really trying not to get my hopes up.

Good luck with your upcoming visit.

trickiedickie
02-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Oh and totally agree about parents not being local to you and then deciding to use a childminder or nursery more local. Out of the 5 parents who visited only one was kind of local. I am going to try and ask more questions on the phone to try and elimate people who once they have thought through all the pro's and con's will decide to stay local.

blue bear
02-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Get yourself a pad for near the phone or in your bag whatever works for you. On ea) page write out
name of caller
Phone number
Child's name
Child's interests
When care is required (month or date)

These are things I always ask every caller before I offer a visit, the note pad will serve as a reminder to get this info.

Setting up, on the fire guard I put
Personal folder
Policies
Risk assessments
Diary (permission from family)
Learning journal (permission from family or use a dummy one)

I set the room up as if the child was staying for the day to give the family an idea of what they would be buying into.
answer door, say hello, little smile for child address by name, peekaboo or whatever feels right, family come into lounge, through conservatory look into garden. I ask about the grown ups, where they work, how they feel, who else they have been to visits, ask about their worries etc, it's about connecting With the whole family, find things in common be friendly and put them at ease.
I usually sit on the floor and start playing with the toys and the children will join me, if it's a tiny baby I ask for a cuddle, I chat to baby sing to them what ever I would normally do if parent not there, it's reassuring for parents to see how you handle their little one.
I have a little leaflet I give the parents and a copy of the ofsted report that I give them to take home. I encourage them to make other visits and come back to me when they have made their decision, I make it clear I will continue to see other families. Until they make a firm commitment.
50 minutes is usually about right.
I always assume they are not coming to me until the contract is signed, the problem with humans is that they change their minds frequently, do not take it personally.

VeggieSausage
02-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Just had a load of visits myself.....one I wasted my day off on because she ended up saying she wanted to use me but not on the days I had free so would I have a space anyway....erm....NO.....another was too far away but they came anyway, mum didn't drive and I was too far.......next one has signed with me but came on a Friday evening, stayed for 2 hours and then contacted me to say could her husband meet me, came in an evening again and stayed for 1.5hours.....child running off and would go in the end I right right I have to get my tea now so I am really going to have to hurry things up and they went, did sign up though but blimey......latest fashion seems to see about 6 childminders....just wasting time really......

I show them around my downstairs after we have had a chat in the living room, I use my folder as a prompt to make sure I have covered everything, show them a learning journey and a photo album full of pics of happy busy children......don't feel rejected when people don't go with you, you don't know what they were looking for......also some people will remember not that long ago I went to make a mum a cup of tea, came back in and the cat was sat in front her next to her beautiful tiny baby licking its bum......the look of disgust on her face was priceless!!!:laughing:

trickiedickie
02-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the idea of the notepad. I am going with that. Copying it word for word. I might even take a note of details. Say I am minding children at the monent so can I call back to discuss further.

Having the house set up as if I was having the child for the day sounds good. I will try that as best I can.

I have a four year old and 1 year old siblings visiting on Wednedsay (four year old won't start school til Aug 15!) so I will have to get things out that don't contain any small things that wee one could put in mouth. I remember these two stages with my own and can't come up with toys that will hold 4 year olds interest long enough that don't contain small parts!

The cat licking it's bum is so funny. :laughing:

Annabelle
05-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Thank you so much for your thoughts, have decided to go with the baby and will try to make him love it here so dont have to advertise for September again!

(The final visit was a mentalist 3.5 year old, weird family and not entirely sure they were being honest with me - obviously issues with the child they continued to ignore my questioning about why they wouldn't try a pre-school - i know, each to their own, but there was something odd about this family)

Husband came home and I told him about all the visits, he questioned why I wouldn't go with the 3.5 yr old as they needed loads more hours...I feel good that, for the first time, I have been able to turn someone down for the benefits of the child and not because I need to take someone on for the sake of it (I just don't think I could support her needs)

thanks again