PDA

View Full Version : Just about to kiss goodbye to my extra holiday income

miss mopple
20-07-2008, 07:58 PM
As I've just finished sorting out my last years accounts and have realised I'm going to have a bigger tax bill than I thought :doh:

I've yet to put the utilites bills on, but I doubt they'll make much difference, so I think I'll be in for about a £750 bill :(

I've got about £400 saved already and have extra kids booked in over the hols so should be able to get it together, but it pains me to have to do it.

Guess I shouldn't moan as DH pays more a month than I'll have to pay for a year, so it's really not too bad.

Have to say I'm stumped as to how some of my friends end up not paying a tax bill :huh:

miffy
20-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Oh dear - maybe you need an accountant!

Are you sure you've put everything through that you can?

Miffy xx

miss mopple
20-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Can't think of anything I haven't put through unfortunately.

At least its better than last years bill. That was £1100:eek:

miffy
20-07-2008, 08:48 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek:

As you say at least there's some improvement!

Miffy xx

jaz
26-07-2008, 06:07 PM

Oh my thats alot. Have another look thru and see if you can reduce that figure.

let us know how you get on

J
x

Mollymop
26-07-2008, 08:43 PM
I hope you can reduce it somehow xx

I have a ready reakoner that suggests I should put a side £50 pounds a month for tax. But that will change in September as my income is looking as though it will drop,

Chimps Childminding
27-07-2008, 04:41 PM
I've just done mine too and I recon mine will be approx £500!!!!:angry: Unfortunately I didn't keep it up to date last year so I only knew the full figures when I got ready to fill in my tax return!!!!!!!!!

I am going to try and do my accounts at least monthly if not fortnightly from now on (ok I know its nearly August and I haven't started yet) so that I can either replace items or maybe cut back on the number of children if it looks as though I will need to pay tax next year. Don't see the point in working long hours to give it to the tax man!!!!! :D

Bushpig
27-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Wow, that does sound like a lot!!! :(

Donkey
29-07-2008, 07:51 AM
there is a great thread somewhere that shows what you can claim for???

are you sure your claiming for everything???

don't forget speaking with an accountant is tax deductable, rather pay it to an accountant than the tax man, you never know you might have missed something ;)

cloud9
29-07-2008, 07:55 PM

don't forget speaking with an accountant is tax deductable, rather pay it to an accountant than the tax man, you never know you might have missed something ;)

Does anyone know whre this thread is i do my own accounts but think theres probably so much more i should claim for

cloud9
29-07-2008, 07:56 PM

Does anyone know where this thread is i do my own accounts but think theres probably so much more i should claim for.?

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
30-07-2008, 03:06 PM
That seems an awful lot I only paid £67.00 this year which was great.

Lorraine xx

mayberry
31-07-2008, 05:41 AM
[QUOTE=miss mopple;190293]Can't think of anything I haven't put through unfortunately.

I have an accountant £80 it cost me and he’s is worth every penny

Dawn xxx

Schnakes
22-08-2008, 05:44 PM
My tax return this year is nearly three grand. I actually cried when I saw the amount - especially as, since I had actually got a rebate the year before I hadnt bothered putting anything aside for this year. Makes me feel like crying now, just thinking about it!!!

Sx

Minstrel
22-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Really???
Thats a lot for a childminder you must be raking it in.
Maybe you could get an accountant to go through your books and lower this a little.

Chimps Childminding
22-08-2008, 05:54 PM
My tax return this year is nearly three grand. I actually cried when I saw the amount - especially as, since I had actually got a rebate the year before I hadnt bothered putting anything aside for this year. Makes me feel like crying now, just thinking about it!!!

Sx

OMG:eek: I thought mine at £800 was bad enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Decided gonna buy lots of nice EXPENSIVE things for lo's ready for next year so that horrible old tax man can't have my money!!!!!!:D

Schnakes
22-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Minstrel - I know its huge for a childminder...I phoned the Inland Revenue three times to query it and each time they told me it was correct. I dont know ANYONE else who pays such a huge amount. I went through my books again after I had the bill and the only thing I found was that I hadnt put enough down for my water bill for some reason, but that only gave me another £60 back. Gutted. I really want to get an accountant, but I dont want to pay the accountant just for the tax bill to be the same and have his/her bill on top, if you see what I mean?

Sx

tulip0803
22-08-2008, 06:42 PM

Here's the link http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2734

Chatterbox Childcare
22-08-2008, 09:40 PM
I would have a good look through your own toys and see what you could sell to yourself, include video's, dvd's etc...

If you have a tax bill of £800 you can add another £400 to it for pre paid tax for next year plus Class 4 NI.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Debbie

J_J
23-08-2008, 09:09 PM
i know how you feel, mine is just under 4 grand for the year. i used an accountant last year, but she didnt help at all, except to add on working clothes for £100.00.
j x

hello kitty
23-08-2008, 09:29 PM
WOW that's alot of money.

My accountant once told me no childminder should be paying tax, on that figure you must be earning in the region of £30,000 - £40,000. :eek:

Check that link out for all the expenses you can claim.

J_J
23-08-2008, 11:32 PM
ive only claimed about 30% for expenses. i went through that list and had most things already. cant think of anything else to reduce it, as next year is going to be more. im so glad ive got a separate savings account for my tax bill!! a friend of mine always works hers out to be about half her income to expenses. its not that much, would be nice though!!

j x