PDA

View Full Version : Working with nursery

Smileyface
30-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Hello would like some advice on how I can work with a child's nursery.
I mind him one day a week on a weds he goes to nursery tues/Thursday I do not take or collect him.
He's been there a few months now and the nursery have asked his mum if they call me to discuss his development
What will they ask me? How can I work with them? I know I should have done this when he started just wasn't sure how.
Please your good advice will be be grateful.
I have noticed they are due an inspection very soon.
I'm very new to this side of childminding.
Tia

Simona
30-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Hello would like some advice on how I can work with a child's nursery.
I mind him one day a week on a weds he goes to nursery tues/Thursday I do not take or collect him.
He's been there a few months now and the nursery have asked his mum if they call me to discuss his development
What will they ask me? How can I work with them? I know I should have done this when he started just wasn't sure how.
Please your good advice will be be grateful.
I have noticed they are due an inspection very soon.
I'm very new to this side of childminding.
Tia

They should be asking you for a convenient time for you to meet with them if you are willing to do that and share progress about the child
telephone discussions will not really be very effective because you will want to see their evidence and the other way round

I would take along your LJ and ask them to see theirs
Do you know if they ever send their LJ to the parents? if so you could ask to have a look
In a way it is good they are engaging with you and if you get to meet this is excellent evidence for Ofsted that you are working with other providers

If, as you say, they are preparing for an inspection they maybe thinking on the same lines: sharing info with you to evidence at inspection

Hope this helps you

Smiley
30-01-2014, 11:11 PM
Perhaps you could make an appointment to see them, with parental consent of course. Have you considered doing a communication sheet or diary, a summary of the child's current development. Information about activities you are doing, child's current interests etc

Simona
31-01-2014, 12:37 PM
This issue is coming up in a few threads so I thought I'd refresh myself by looking at EYFS 2012 and see what it asks us to do...

Information and records (page 26)

3.67 Providers must maintain records and obtain and share information (with parents and carers, other professionals working with the child, and the police, social services and Ofsted as appropriate) to ensure the safe and efficient management of the setting, and to help ensure the needs of all children are met.

Providers must enable a regular two-way flow of information with parents and/or carers, and between providers, if a child is attending more than one setting.
If requested, providers should incorporate parents’ and/or carers’ comments into children’s records.

So the first requirement is a MUST which tells me we have a duty to share information

But the next : IF requested ...is open to interpretation requested by whom? the parents? one of the providers involved in the care? both of them?

Anyone with an idea?
If cms are not requested by the other or by parents....can Ofsted mark us down?

Clear as mud ...but I still think sharing is good practice for best outcomes.