PDA

View Full Version : Working with others

tori4
30-01-2014, 09:09 PM
That old story I've sent loads of request to several nurseries/ pre-sch my Los attended but only 1 of 3 have responded.

Parents are on board
I have sent letters by post email and record deliver
Parents nag on my behalf

So saw my CO who also works with local nurseries here response was - live with what u get and write it I ur SEF with a plan on how u are going to reach hard to reach providers...!!!!

I get the bit if I acknowledge it in my SEF and say I am working on it then that looks proactive

but what can I put as my action plan ??

Apart from tying myself to their premises until they shre info with me what else can I do??

Any suggestion gr8fully received

sing-low
30-01-2014, 10:08 PM
I wonder if there is a way to make it as easy for nurseries as possible? So ask if you can come and look at the child's LJ, when would be the best time to contact their key worker for a brief ( emphasise brief) chat? Or ask for their expertise on something. 'oh, LO came home raving about the biscuits you made, can I have the recipe?' If you take or collect, use the opportunity to look at notice boards, displays, what's out for the children and write it all down.

Simona
30-01-2014, 11:22 PM
That old story I've sent loads of request to several nurseries/ pre-sch my Los attended but only 1 of 3 have responded.

Parents are on board
I have sent letters by post email and record deliver
Parents nag on my behalf

So saw my CO who also works with local nurseries here response was - live with what u get and write it I ur SEF with a plan on how u are going to reach hard to reach providers...!!!!

I get the bit if I acknowledge it in my SEF and say I am working on it then that looks proactive

but what can I put as my action plan ??

Apart from tying myself to their premises until they shre info with me what else can I do??

Any suggestion gr8fully received

This is an issue that is becoming very real because the professional relationships are really not there or need to be built in a positive way
It is both in the nurseries interest and Cms to share information when they share the care of a child

Like you they too have to answer that part of the SEF and evidence how they work with us

The best way would be for the LA to encourage providers to get together and find ways to start positive engagement

I am really surprised that you have had no reply to your various request though...that is not on...do keep those for evidence for Ofsted

This matter, in my view, needs a big article in one of the EY magazines to raise awareness across the sector

sarah707
31-01-2014, 07:10 AM
I have read a number of inspection reports where the childminder has been downgraded because, despite trying to work with other settings - the other settings have not engaged.

Ofsted are basically saying we have to try harder ...

So yes keep documented evidence that you have tried - but also ring them, call in to see them, write to them again - get everything you can from them even if they won't talk to you by reading newsletters, sharing info via parents etc.

Hth :D

miffy
31-01-2014, 07:57 AM
I have read a number of inspection reports where the childminder has been downgraded because, despite trying to work with other settings - the other settings have not engaged.

Ofsted are basically saying we have to try harder ...

Have to agree with Sarah - my Ofsted inspector didn't take kindly to me saying that I was still waiting for any school, nursery, playgroup, out of school club to approach me about sharing info - it was all down to me to approach them.

Miffy xx

funemnx
31-01-2014, 08:13 AM
I would usually just take my lo's LJ with me when they start and say something like "I'll collect it next week, there is a section for you to sign" I check if it's been signed when I collect it. We shouldn't need to be so assertive - it makes you wonder if they are downgraded for not sharing with us! :rolleyes:

jackie 7
31-01-2014, 08:19 AM
What would happen if like me I have 1 boy who goes to nursery but not on a day he comes to me and he leaves in may so could bd gone before I am inspected. So I would have no way of working with other professionals. I will have to keep the reports I hsve sent to doctors on another child' who has left.

samb
31-01-2014, 08:24 AM
I would usually just take my lo's LJ with me when they start and say something like "I'll collect it next week, there is a section for you to sign" I check if it's been signed when I collect it. We shouldn't need to be so assertive - it makes you wonder if they are downgraded for not sharing with us! :rolleyes:

That's not a bad idea although I would worry the whole week that they weren't giving it back! I also think they should have equal amount of pressure on them to share with us. I started looking after a 3 year old last April. I wrote to the preschool to introduce myself, did a summary and plan at end of summer term, photocopied and gave to them with a letter, again end of Xmas term. Each time I asked them if they got it etc and each time I was told it was probably given to xxx (Radom other nursery nurses) they never gave me any feedback etc. lo left this week and I said to the preschool that is given mum his learning journey if they wanted to request it. I told mum and she said she had never given them any of the letters as she didn't see the point! I was fuming! All that hard work, mum lied by saying she had given it to them, they fobbed me off saying it must be with someone else etc and turns out no one had anything! In future I will definitely take things myself and definitely ask for signatures.

Simona
31-01-2014, 09:09 AM

May I offer a word of advice here...NEVER leave your LJ with any preschool or nursery...
If they want to have a look they can do so with you present by arranging time with you to do so...meeting will take your time but it is up to us to decide if it is worth investing in.....This will also count for you as CPD...let alone sharing information

Inspectors often put recommendations in reports without knowing the full picture...and of course all inspectors will vary and what applies to one cm maybe different to another

If this info sharing is important all of a sudden...well I would question that as it has been important for a very long time (see EYFS 2008)...then why aren't the LAs facilitating this?
why aren't other providers waking up to the fact it could reflect in their inspection?

As I mentioned in my first comment sometimes we can come up with many barriers but there are still ways of evidencing you are trying your best not just with nurseries but schools too.

If this has become an issue lets bring it up at Ofsted Big Conversation meetings or even better approach your representing association...2 of them represent the wider sector not just CMs!

Plenty of ways for them to promote this...I also know many preschools very willing to engage with CMs...I sat in a meeting recently with plenty of them who said just that: how can we engage more positively with cms?

The message was they think we do not engage with them and CMs think nurseries will not engage with them....lets be proactive and do something about it.

tori4
31-01-2014, 04:46 PM
so this is another letter iam writing to settings, - can some one help me with the last paragraph - basically I am trying to get myself an invite there Im guessing if I am offering them possible work they might be nicer to me ;-)

As part of my commitment to good partnership working I have enclosed a copy of ………………….. Summary Assessment, Individual Next steps, Group Planning and our recent News Letter.

I would love to hear more about ………………… time at your Nursery perhaps you could send me a copy of your Nursery’s/Pre-school’s Newsletter.

As I have several children due to start pre-school in the next term please do let me know of any forthcoming Open Days, I would really like to offer first-hand knowledge of Early Years settings in and around Devizes.

many thanks xT

Simona
31-01-2014, 05:07 PM
so this is another letter iam writing to settings, - can some one help me with the last paragraph - basically I am trying to get myself an invite there Im guessing if I am offering them possible work they might be nicer to me ;-)

As part of my commitment to good partnership working I have enclosed a copy of ………………….. Summary Assessment, Individual Next steps, Group Planning and our recent News Letter.

I would love to hear more about ………………… time at your Nursery perhaps you could send me a copy of your Nursery’s/Pre-school’s Newsletter.

As I have several children due to start pre-school in the next term please do let me know of any forthcoming Open Days, I would really like to offer first-hand knowledge of Early Years settings in and around Devizes.

many thanks xT

You could also mention the EYFS and especially this part

Information and records (page 26)

3.67 Providers must maintain records and obtain and share information (with parents and carers, other professionals working with the child, and the police, social services and Ofsted as appropriate) to ensure the safe and efficient management of the setting, and to help ensure the needs of all children are met.

Providers must enable a regular two-way flow of information with parents and/or carers, and between providers, if a child is attending more than one setting.
If requested, providers should incorporate parents’ and/or carers’ comments into children’s records.

It would be a professional 'invitation' to connect with you...let us know if it works

funemnx
31-01-2014, 05:36 PM
May I offer a word of advice here...NEVER leave your LJ with any preschool or nursery...
If they want to have a look they can do so with you present by arranging time with you to do so...meeting will take your time but it is up to us to decide if it is worth investing in.....This will also count for you as CPD...let alone sharing information

Inspectors often put recommendations in reports without knowing the full picture...and of course all inspectors will vary and what applies to one cm maybe different to another

If this info sharing is important all of a sudden...well I would question that as it has been important for a very long time (see EYFS 2008)...then why aren't the LAs facilitating this?
why aren't other providers waking up to the fact it could reflect in their inspection?

As I mentioned in my first comment sometimes we can come up with many barriers but there are still ways of evidencing you are trying your best not just with nurseries but schools too.

If this has become an issue lets bring it up at Ofsted Big Conversation meetings or even better approach your representing association...2 of them represent the wider sector not just CMs!

Plenty of ways for them to promote this...I also know many preschools very willing to engage with CMs...I sat in a meeting recently with plenty of them who said just that: how can we engage more positively with cms?

The message was they think we do not engage with them and CMs think nurseries will not engage with them....lets be proactive and do something about it.

I wonder why we shouldn't let them have the LJ Simona? I have the children LJ's from playschool too. Is it because they might lose it? The parents have all signed a permission for me to share...

Simona
31-01-2014, 06:02 PM
I wonder why we shouldn't let them have the LJ Simona? I have the children LJ's from playschool too. Is it because they might lose it? The parents have all signed a permission for me to share...

The reason why....my fear of course... is that dreaded knock on the door by Ofsted carrying out an unannounced visit? the worst scenario I know but what if it happened and the LJ was at the nursery? we would have no evidence

I also worry if it is taken out of their premises...will it be lost? who will read it?

I am in this situation now and have told my parents I will be happy to go to the nursery and take my LJ but not leave it...they agree
It also looks like the nursery is happy with my suggestion

It is only my way of doing things but worth reminding CMs as we did discuss CMs who had no LJs when Ofsted arrived...

Smiley
31-01-2014, 06:37 PM
I agree with Simona and would never leave mine with another setting but very happy to be with them when they look and to discuss any of the information. I do a record of transfer when children start to attend another setting, this is basically a summary of all areas of learning and shows children's current progress. They are able to keep this and parents sign the document prior to me sharing with others.