PDA

View Full Version : Oh help me help me help me!!!!

Minstrel
30-01-2014, 06:39 PM
I think ofsted are on their way. I'm overdue an inspection so no surprise, but suddenly feel very underprepared.

Can you give me any pointers to anything I might have missed. I don't do the sef but do have written reflection in my planning.

LJ's will get a spruce up over the weekend, parents and kids are great so I think I'll get nice feedback and all basic paperwork is in place (policies permissions etc.

Any pointers if you've had a recent inspection?

unalindura77
30-01-2014, 07:16 PM
I think ofsted are on their way. I'm overdue an inspection so no surprise, but suddenly feel very underprepared.

Can you give me any pointers to anything I might have missed. I don't do the sef but do have written reflection in my planning.

LJ's will get a spruce up over the weekend, parents and kids are great so I think I'll get nice feedback and all basic paperwork is in place (policies permissions etc.

Any pointers if you've had a recent inspection?

We're with you....and BREATHE!

I saw on the other thread about the phone call, you and I and a few others are in this state of paranoia/frenzy/self doubtful/in denial mania. So you're not alone. Go on the Ofsted website and there's a search option for inspections done within the last 12 months in your area, I found them really helpful to get some good idea's, you can see there how people got marked inadequate or good etc.

You'll be fine! Prepare yourself so next week you can answer the phone confidently (says she!)

sing-low
30-01-2014, 07:27 PM
You'll be fine. Best advice I was given was to 'talk the talk' I.e. Try and anticipate what they inspector is going to ask next. So for example, when I had my inspection recently, Mrs O commented on my LJs that I didn't put how the children were doing what they did and I chimed in with 'oh, you mean the characteristics of effective learning? Yes, I'm trying to get on some training for that as I know it's something I need to understand better.'

sarah707
31-01-2014, 07:18 AM
There is a free 'essential Ofsted paperwork checklist' here - Childminder Guides - Exclusive Information Guides for Registered Childminder Members - Childcare.co.uk (http://www.childcare.co.uk/information/childminder-plus).

There is some information about joint observations here - Joint observations - be prepared! - (http://independentchildminders.weebly.com/1/post/2014/01/joint-observations-be-prepared.html)

There are lots of tips to work through here - Looking to the future (http://independentchildminders.weebly.com/looking-to-the-future.html)

Stay calm, dot all your is and you will be amazing :D

miffy
31-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Good luck Minstrel!

Miffy xx

bunyip
31-01-2014, 08:16 AM
Can't give any pointers, as I've not been inspected since the new EYFS, but just want to wish you all the best. :thumbsup:

I did a SEF, but the inspector said it was one of the worst she'd ever seen :p, so pretty much ignored it. She was actually happier to see my 'reflective practice' was built into all I do - which sounds the same in your case, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

I also told mine I was very nervous and 'froze' at any kind of test, and she was very understanding about that.

Hope that helps, but you've always come across as extremely competent and probably need no more help than to say "be yourself, do your thing, and show them how darned good you are!" :thumbsup:

Minstrel
31-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Thank you all very much.

I'm a bit like you bunyip, I don't do well in exam toys pressure. My last inspector gave me a firm hand on the arm about half hour into the inspection and said 'Relax, you're doing great' It really helped.

I think it's just I've heard so many horror stories. I'm currently 'good' and I think, by the sounds of it, that will currently be a 'requires improvement' which sounds dreadful.

Hey ho. I guess my best is all I can do and if that's not good enough I'll worry about that when or if it comes.

Any further tips, much appreciated :)