PDA

View Full Version : Starting childminding business in a rented property

Hannah Cowles
30-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Hi there, new to this page and I'm still finishing my L3 diploma (finishing in June 14).
I know that I want to start childminding in gorleston (Great Yarmouth) when I finish and start renting up there.
I've gotten a rough idea of what I need to do to get registered but still very fuzzy about it all, don't know if it's fear or genuinely because I'm still so young to understand the business world (I'll be 19 once qualified)
Would be good if someone could give me a rough idea of what to do before renting the property I plan to childmind from through to registering.

Thanks!
Hannah

tulip0803
30-01-2014, 05:50 PM
You need to ensure that you have written permission from your landlord to childmind and it can be difficult to find someone that is willing to allow you to work from their house. Before you even look at a house you need to check to see if the landlord will allow you to work from the premises. You need to then see the house to ensure that it would be safe for children and suitable for minding.

Thins is how to apply to be a childminder in Norfolk Norfolk County Council - Are you interested in becoming a childminder (http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/Childrens_services/Family_information_and_childcare/Working_in_early_years_and_childcare/NCC073263)

You will still need to do a childminder registration course even though you have a level 3 as there are at lot of things that are unique to childminding that you do not find in other childcare roles.

Good luck

Hannah Cowles
01-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Thanks, how long is the registration course?

tulip0803
01-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Depends on how your LA does it. Some have it over 6 weeks one evening a week, others a couple of days, others do on-line version. You will also need paediatric 1st aid, child protection (and food hygiene is good practice) you may have done paediatric 1st aid as part of your lvl 3. You will need to contact your LA. Depending on areas it can take anything from 3 months to a year to register. Contact your LA and they can tell you how they do things.

Hannah Cowles
02-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Thank you...
LA meaning local agency/authority? Sorry still learning the lingo :-)
X

tulip0803
02-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Thank you...
LA meaning local agency/authority? Sorry still learning the lingo :-)
X

No Prob

Local Authority - You have to do LA approved courses and they advise/arrange training

PeekABoos
03-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Hey Hannah,

I am in Suffolk, where are you moving from? You need to make sure your landlord will allow you to do business from their home. Good luck. Xx

MrsPixie
04-02-2014, 01:40 PM
We are in a rented house, we moved to find somewhere suitable. It was really hard to find somewhere and we ended up in a family house as they have gone abroad for a couple of years. We found houses rented out purely as business were much less willing to accept us.

Hannah Cowles
19-02-2014, 03:28 PM
I am moving from Ipswich... I asked around all lettings agents and it was a straight up 'no' from every single one!
Instead I've opted for gumtree and asked a private landlord for their opinion. I found an ideal place and although it'll be taken by the time I move she was very helpful and told me that agents regard childminding as a business whereas it's not technically classed as one, so as most tenancies state 'NO business to be run from the property' they instantly disregard you.

I asked... As a private landlord would you allow your tenant to run childminding from your home providing they are fully insured for the nature of the career? She said she would have no problem and also knows other private landlords that let to childminders.

So now I just hope there'll be an opportunity nearer the time I move! So raring to get going once I qualify I can't wait till I own a home!!

Thanks all for your help. I also spoke to a tutor at college and she actually teaches the registration course on evenings. 1 night a week for ten weeks... Excited!

Best wishes to you all. X