PDA

View Full Version : In Limbo for September mindees

JCrakers
30-01-2014, 01:36 PM
At the moment I seem to be in Limbo....everything is up in the air and no decisions can be made for another couple of months due to it being too early to make decisions. Although Sept is only round the corner for me, its a long way off for parents to tell me what their plans are.

I've got a couple of children leaving for school in 5-6mths and I need to fill spaces, I've also got 2 older children leaving for secondary school maybe freeing up some space.

But I haven't got any secure answers yet. I have lots of maybe's and it's hard!

For September I've got
A family of 3 coming back from maternity (no signed contract yet but will do very soon HOPEFULLY, 12m,3yrs,6yrs)
A sibling 11m (hopefully starting but Mums not sure what date she's going back to work, she's also entitled to change her mind)
A 4yr old who I have 2 days a week but Mum doesn't know if she's continuing care when she starts school. She might change her hours to suit the school run.
2x 11yr olds starting secondary school who MAY make their own way to my house but Mums don't know yet as its too early to say. 1 Mum's contract finishes in July so she doesn't know what she's going to be doing in September.

So no definite answers at the moment with enquiries coming in is really frustrating to be hanging on. I think I might give everyone a deadline of Easter to make their decisions.
I am a very organised person and NEED TO KNOW NOW. This job is so hard at times. :o

Shamai
30-01-2014, 01:46 PM
I know exactly what you mean - I've had lots of enquiries for August/September but need kiddiwinks now!! I am competing with the local before and after school club plus other childminder's undercutting me by charging much, much less. I've also held a place in goodwill for a friend who is now not going back to work so Arghhhhh! I think its not unreasonable to give an Easter deadline and maybe offer reasonable retainers to secure places for your current mindees before you start advertising xx

smurfette
30-01-2014, 01:54 PM
I am the same it's a pain isn't it?! Don't want to be left with nothing!

primula
30-01-2014, 02:07 PM
definitely do the deadline thing! especially if you are getting enquiries, I am the same need to know!

loocyloo
30-01-2014, 02:14 PM
I've got 2 mums waiting to hear from
THEIR employers about hours etc and when they are due to return to work! I've given them deadlines and they have passed these on but it's very difficult!

SYLVIA
31-01-2014, 07:20 AM
Ive got 4 going to school in Sept and they are all part time which works on the different days BUT I have 4 mums with babies who want to start throughout this year but I think I can only help 2

bunyip
31-01-2014, 08:24 AM
I'm much the same way fixed. I know who's leaving but actually have even less idea about who might fill the spaces. Like you, I also go crazy wanting the know the unknowable.

I've had some very tentative enquiries from parents looking a long way ahead to August/September, including one that's barely even conceived, never mind given birth :p.

I always find this very tricky to handle. On the one hand, I like parents who are thinking and planning ahead. OTOH I know they are likely to visit a lot of settings, and I'm nervous about advance bookings as I got thoroughly st1ffed by one such last year.

It's especially frustrating, as I've had a string on enquiries since the new year which I cannot accommodate. Told them all I could do it from the summer if that helps, but that's too late. :(

Keep trying to tell myself something will come along in the summer, but it's hard not knowing for sure.

samb
31-01-2014, 08:29 AM
I'm pretty much the same as bunnyip. I know some of mine are leaving or reducing hours and then leaving but months in advance. I've had a few enquiries but they need sooner start dates. They are all very bitty enquiries which I could accommodate if they could wait but if I don't take them on by september I will be on less than half the money I'm on now which I can't cope with either.