PDA

View Full Version : when should I start worrying?

Rickers83
30-01-2014, 11:07 AM
I've had no contact at all from a parent since she told me last Monday lo would not be coming anymore as she quit her job.
I've invoiced her this month, which includes some of the 4 week notice period & it is due on the 1st.
i sent a reminder text yesterday as i usually do, & she normally responds to tell me when she will come to bring the fees, but like i say I've heard nothing from her.

as she is no longer coming here & I Cant get hold of her, if come Saturday there is no payment do i still have to go through my procedure for non payment or can i seek advise sooner?

AliceK
30-01-2014, 11:13 AM
It doesn't sound promising does it.
I'm sure you could call your insurer today and ask what if, so that come Saturday / Monday if you haven't been paid you are all ready to go so to speak.

Good luck. Could you pop over and knock on her door to ask?

xxxx

Mouse
30-01-2014, 11:14 AM
I would phone your insurance company now. Talk it through with them & they will hopefully give you advice on what to write in a letter, what timescales to give etc.

Koala
30-01-2014, 11:17 AM
I'de start worrying now.

And start the process for non payment when the payment date is up, but make sure your client is aware of what you expect and that this is what you are intending to do. I know she is probably fully aware of the payment date and is just putting her head in the proverbial sand and hoping you will go away, so put it in writing so there is no 'misinterpretation' or 'misunderstanding' from a third party if needed.
Good luck :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
30-01-2014, 11:25 AM
What does it say on your contract?

On page four of my Pacey one it clearly states that if there is no contact in xxxx days the contract ceases to exist.

I would personally have written to the mother on Monday confirming what she had told me, confirming the last day of care and any monies owed. I would then taken it to the mother's home and had a copy for her to sign to say she had received this confirmation of Notice. I find lots of parents don't put things in writing so i have to do it for them. That would have been the end then and the parent would have known what they still have to ow.

Now I would still write a letter saying you are concerned you haven't received Notice in writing as per the Contract but that you are now confirming that she gave verbal notice on xx date and that the fees still owing to cover the notice period are xxxxx and give them 7 days to pay and if they do in this time I won't apply late payment fees as detailed in the Contract.

If they don't pay in the 7 days I would then write again, very simple xxx is still owed and is now xxx with the late fees as detailed in the Contract added. If this sum is not paid in 7 days I will have no alternative but to seek legal advise to collect the debt. I would also like to advise you that it is your responsibility to notify Tax Credits of your change of circumstances if you use them. If I think or know they use them I would at this point be ringing them to tell them when the parent stopped paying me.

Rickers83
30-01-2014, 11:33 AM
She gave me written notice by completing my termination of contract form, which states last day of minding & reminds about tell tax credits etc & I gave her her invoice.

yes i have procedures for non payment set out in both my contract & policies, but wasn't sure where I stood as in no longer minding for them, although technically the notice period doesn't end until 14th feb, she just chose not to send lo as shea not working

rickysmiths
30-01-2014, 11:42 AM
The terms of the Contract apply even if she has chosen not to use the Notice period. I would follow it and request payment at once.

kellyskidz!
30-01-2014, 11:58 AM
What does it say on your contract?

On page four of my Pacey one it clearly states that if there is no contact in xxxx days the contract ceases to exist.

Can I ask how many days you do put from no contact to contract ceasing to exist, it's something I've not thought of and would like to add to my contract but unsure what a reasonable time frame is xx

Simona
30-01-2014, 02:43 PM
I know many will not agree but if a deposit was held parents would refrain from doing this sort of thing to cms...getting money in these circumstances can be costly if pursued via the small claims court

Notice should be 4 weeks really but obviously up to cms.

Rickers83
30-01-2014, 05:19 PM
I did take a deposit, but it won't cover a full months fees plus notice. My notice period is 4 weeks, but mum chose not to send lo during notice.

Simona
30-01-2014, 06:09 PM
I did take a deposit, but it won't cover a full months fees plus notice. My notice period is 4 weeks, but mum chose not to send lo during notice.

You should invoice the parent for the 4 weeks of notice as per usual acknowledging her notice (keep a copy) ..even if it was verbal...ask if she would be kind enough to confirm in writing to comply with your contract.
You could say that once she has confirmed the last day you are then able to offer the space to other families

If parent does not pay the monthly fees your deposit will cover some of the fees but you are left with an outstanding sum...it is then up to you to decide if you want to pursue the missing money.

I do hope the parent will be reasonable...next time make sure you get 4 weeks deposit to avoid this worrying situation

Keep us posted and good luck