PDA

View Full Version : Register

Kerry84
30-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Do you all have a register and get parents to sign children in and out every day? Also is it a requirement and would I need to mark a little girl down on there that I take to school? She's only in my home for 15 minutes? Thank you in advance :-) xx

chris goodyear
30-01-2014, 10:42 AM
I don't have one and don't intend to - this is my home and not a non domestic premise. As someone on here stated once before we know who is in our home and people do not come in and out without our knowledge so no need for a register. As far as I am aware there is no requirement by Ofsted. Your mindees are all written in your attendance book so for your peace of mind you can include the one who is only with you for 15 mins. in this.

AliceK
30-01-2014, 10:50 AM
I log ALL children in and out to the exact minute no matter how short time they are here. I do it to protect myself more than anything and for insurance purposes should I ever need it. I just use 1 A4 sheet per child and that is for the whole month.

xx

kellyskidz!
30-01-2014, 02:02 PM
I do too, I have a register not because I don't know who's in my home (although I have been known to set out 3 meals for only 2 kids on more than one occasion lol.. What this job does to you?!) but because I have parents who claim tax credits for help with their childcare costs and funded children in so its just easier for me if it was disputed if the child was in on that day, or ill or something to just be able to go back and see, yes they were in on this day or no they weren't xx

Mouse
30-01-2014, 02:11 PM
This is what the rules say you must have:

 a daily record of the names of the children looked after on the premises, their hours of attendance and the names of the children’s key person

You have to keep a record of the exact times all of the children are with you, even if it is only for 15 minutes. How you keep that record is up to you - a diary, a register sheet, an attendance book. Just make sure it is written down somewhere. It's not a requirement to get parents to sign it, although many people do.

If you don't keep a record of names and times you will be graded inadequate.

rickysmiths
30-01-2014, 02:15 PM
I use the Pacey Attendance Register and always have and yes my parents sign but not every day every week. It is not a requirement that they sign but it is good practice and evidence that they have been informed of and confirmed the hours and days their child has been in your care.

I page per month per child. Then you can copy the information easily.

It stood me in good stead when a parent made an allegation about a particular day to Ofsted claiming I hadn't told her something. I was able to copy the page in the register and because she had signed it the allegation was thrown out of the water. It made 18 years of getting it signed well worth it. It also helps if there are disputes about money, or holidays etc. I always mark my and their holidays in the register and get them to sign the weeks for them so they are acknowledging that they have agreed to them.

maisiemog
30-01-2014, 02:33 PM
I just use a cheap exercise book and have a page a week and just write times in and out for each child in it. Have never got the parents to sign it and have no intention of starting now. Never ha to sign it at a nursery, preschool or school!

rickysmiths
31-01-2014, 04:42 AM
I just use a cheap exercise book and have a page a week and just write times in and out for each child in it. Have never got the parents to sign it and have no intention of starting now. Never ha to sign it at a nursery, preschool or school!

Nursery, Pre School and School teachers don't work on their own with the children childminders do.

I see the parents signing as a Safeguarding issue for both their children and me.

Mouse
31-01-2014, 07:09 AM

Neither do they write down the exact times like we have to.

Simona
31-01-2014, 11:46 AM
In the case of funded children a register confirms their attendance
I am sure that part of the LA audit is to ensure their attendance is recorded against the money funded to us and ensures they account for the funding to govt

I think LAs can withdraw funding to a parent whose child fails to take up the place or the non attendance has no real reason behind it

I would check with your LA

Registers need not add to your paperwork load...one of those Collins stationery books (red ones) can last years and are evidence as well as including all children in them
My current one started 2008 and will last another couple of years...once replaced I keep that filed away for safekeeping
Not sure if a parent signature is a requirement of the EYFS but some cms may want to add that

primula
31-01-2014, 12:44 PM
I have always used a week to view diary from the pound shop!! and written down who was here and when, I also use it for planning, notes about the day, brief summary of the week visits everything, self reflection what worked what didnt, wish lists, school holiday dates, my holiday dates! celebrations/festivals, everyone's birthdays, fees due and when, sickness, time off, dog to the vet, doc/dentist appointments, resources brought, Ofsted fees paid, insurance due, childminding vacancy enquires, food supplied for the children. List of toys on loan to other minders and children. As you can see I couldn't be without it!!! Ofsted inspector had a good old nosey in it!!

cathtee
31-01-2014, 05:00 PM
I have always used a week to view diary from the pound shop!! and written down who was here and when, I also use it for planning, notes about the day, brief summary of the week visits everything, self reflection what worked what didnt, wish lists, school holiday dates, my holiday dates! celebrations/festivals, everyone's birthdays, fees due and when, sickness, time off, dog to the vet, doc/dentist appointments, resources brought, Ofsted fees paid, insurance due, childminding vacancy enquires, food supplied for the children. List of toys on loan to other minders and children. As you can see I couldn't be without it!!! Ofsted inspector had a good old nosey in it!!

This is exactly what I was about to write except for the dog to vets, :thumbsup: