PDA

View Full Version : Longer school days and shorter holiday

Simona
30-01-2014, 10:18 AM
Another worrying proposal but the govt seems intent on more time in school and less free time

Lengthen school days and cut holidays, says former Tory adviser | Education | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/jan/30/lengthen-school-days-cut-holidays-tory-adviser?CMP=twt_gu)

AliceK
30-01-2014, 10:21 AM
Well lets just hope the tories don't get in again.
The day this happens is the day I pull both my kids out of school (if I haven't already by then :angry:)

xxxx

mummyMia
30-01-2014, 10:23 AM
This is just ridiculous! There is no way that I am sending my children to school for that many hours. If this goes through I'd have to start considering home schooling them.

Mrsh3103
30-01-2014, 10:34 AM
My ds5 would never cope! He goes to bed at 6.30pm and that's with only 6 hours at school.

Mouse
30-01-2014, 10:34 AM
I don't quite know why people are so up in arms at this.

Yes, it is a stupid proposal, but it's come from a personal blog of someone who USED to be a government advisor.

It's not a Tory proposal, it's not something they've said they are doing, or even considering.

Do you really think the government would get away with a change like that?

AliceK
30-01-2014, 10:48 AM

Yes, it is a stupid proposal, but it's come from a personal blog of someone who USED to be a government advisor.

It's not a Tory proposal, it's not something they've said they are doing, or even considering.

Yes I do actually. The stupid ideas they are currently coming up with gives me no hope at all. 2 year olds in school!!! need I say more :panic:

xxx

Mouse
30-01-2014, 10:51 AM

Yes I do actually. The stupid ideas they are currently coming up with gives me no hope at all. 2 year olds in school!!! need I say more :panic:

xxx

But there's a very big difference in allowing 2 years olds into school and making 9am-6pm, 45 weeks a year education compulsory

AliceK
30-01-2014, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=AliceK;1338057]

But there's a very big difference in allowing 2 years olds into school and making 9am-6pm, 45 weeks a year education compulsory

To you and me Yes, there is a big difference but to the government who want more parents out to work and better education / better pass rates for our children this would seem to fit the bill.
Maybe it's just me being cynical but I wouldn't put anything past them anymore :panic:

xxx

Mouse
30-01-2014, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=Mouse;1338060]

To you and me Yes, there is a big difference but to the government who want more parents out to work and better education / better pass rates for our children this would seem to fit the bill.
Maybe it's just me being cynical but I wouldn't put anything past them anymore :panic:

xxx

But this isn't a government proposal. If it was I would be more concerned.

I'm just always surprised that people read articles like this and react as if they are fact. I've seen so many people this morning (not on here) saying "this is ridiculous. I'm not going to send my children to school for that long. What about summer holidays we've got booked?" :rolleyes:

One friend has said she is looking into home schooling because she won't be able to cope with her children out of the house for that long. Now, maybe I'm too laid back, but to me that is a very extreme reaction to some bloke's blog!

rickysmiths
30-01-2014, 11:10 AM
It seems to me his who proposal falls down with one of his first statements.

Imagine if, of the 5m women working part-time for an average of 18 hours per week, 20% worked 10 hours more (as they tell pollsters that they want) and 1m mums who don’t work also started working, with half being full time and half doing 18 hours per week. That’s 2m mums working more, 1m full time equivalent extra workers. This would give the UK the same sort of female employment rates as the Scandanavian countries. The State would save money – it wouldn’t have to pay parents for school age childcare costs (through all its existing vouchers and credits) and of course, it would have the tax revenues of the new workers, it could expect parents on benefits to work more. The non-educational benefits go much further. Just one example is telling. 30% of all youth offending happens between 3 and 6pm each day, in the period between school finishing and parents getting home. Full time school would eliminate this period, the peak period of youth offending.

He is saying that if 20% of the mums working 18 hours a week could work 10 hours more so 28 hours a week. 20% 5m so 1m working 10 hours more

500,000 working 18 hours a week

500,000 working full time

The top two wouldn't need extra hours of school to work or min wrap around care say a breakfast club and a homework club for an hour before and after school at most.

the 500,000 wouldn't need any help with school because they are working within school time.

the 500,000 full timers would need help with wrap around care and there is already a lot of it available.

His plans sound huge and expensive to cater for so few?

The biggest and most expensive stumbling block is cover in the holidays so maybe the government should provide free summer and Easter schools for the children which has a combination of fun, sport and education like they do in the States? It is the summer the parents complain most about the cost of holidays so don't take them have the children in a state provided summer school and the parents can use half terms and Christmas for their holidays? 5 weeks a year which easily covers a family holiday and the rest can be covered between the parents giving them the quality time they crave with their children .

EYFS children would have to go to Childminder's or Day Nurseries in the holidays so they remain in more of a home environment which is more beneficial for the under 6 yrs.

The money saved on Tax credits etc would help fund these schemes, teacher could be offered overtime to work over the holidays if they wanted to and everyone would be happy. No compulsory vast times in school but all the holidays covered.

Mouse
30-01-2014, 11:18 AM
I'd like to know where the jobs were coming from for these million or so mums?

VeggieSausage
30-01-2014, 11:49 AM
lets just hope no one listens to him.....

Rickers83
30-01-2014, 12:34 PM

and for those of US who rely on schoolies to top-up their income

with longer days, shorter hols, mums wouldn't need me as much & what im left with wouldn't pay the bills :0\

Maza
30-01-2014, 12:35 PM

They could become childminders...oh no, there are no children or babies anymore, they are all at school 24/7.

smurfette
30-01-2014, 12:42 PM
I posted this yesterday,, uour kids are already in school more than hours! Ours do 9-230 on average after age 7, 9-130 up Til then, and 9-4 when in secondary usually with one day a week finishing at lunch time. We have holidays from end June to end August, two weeks Christmas two weeks Easter and three midterms of a week each.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/give-childhood-back-to-children-if-we-want-our-offspring-to-have-happy-productive-and-moral-lives-we-must-allow-more-time-for-play-not-less-are-you-listening-gove-9054433.html

Simona
30-01-2014, 01:38 PM
This survey is also interesting

Not sure who this Kirby guy is but the govt could jump at his suggestions...anything to keep kids in schools longer
His blog is causing valid reactions and worries

Should schoolchildren work the same hours as adults? | Comment is free | theguardian.com (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/poll/2014/jan/30/longer-school-days-tory-suggestion-poll)

kellyskidz!
30-01-2014, 01:45 PM
I agree its probably all speculation and 'maybes' at this point but can you imagine if it did happen? Our kids in school from 9 til 6, the fact that someone has even suggested it is ludicrous and worrying.
My dd5 is shattered when she comes home from school at half past 3, she'd probably be kipping on the desk if they were kept there until 6 :yawning:
There was a big discussion about it at the school gates today and I think a lot of mums were under the impression that it is going to happen thanks to media hype. Why do they insist on causing unnecessary upset if its not even a government proposal anyway!

Simona
30-01-2014, 01:50 PM
My feeling is that this is an idea put forward as an election vote winner.

Is what this guy is saying in his blog different from what Gove wants to do if left entirely up to him?

Jayse74
30-01-2014, 05:43 PM
Totally agree! It is a potential vote winner, as with all government things these days lol

I could read off many things that are stupid, crazy, not right.

Only time will tell tbh. Next year, around May is it? the next big election... I do not like politics lol!

This country will really know it if the Tories gain outright power, I have no preference to any party as such. Just distrust all mp's now :(

funemnx
30-01-2014, 05:50 PM
I seriously doubt that teachers would go for longer working hours - they already work evenings and weekends doing marking & planning....

kats
02-02-2014, 08:44 AM
I have 2 parents who are primary teachers and they don't think this will ever happen :)

Simona
02-02-2014, 09:14 AM
I have 2 parents who are primary teachers and they don't think this will ever happen :)

From the point of view of the children and family life...no it should never happen but do you trust this govt not to ...somehow...try to do it without taking notice of anyone's opinions?

I doubt they would care if they saw a window of opportunity ...look at agencies they never bothered to listen ...I think it is sad to mess about with children and family life like this for the sake of votes at an election

Simona
02-02-2014, 09:48 AM
Blow me down...there is Gove on the BBC Marr show talking about it...
oh yes he will find a way of doing it especially the way he is proposing to go about it...watch this space!

SYLVIA
02-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Poor kids would be ding longer hours than the parents. All we will end up with is exhausted and very stressed out children and teachers. And less and less time for building family values. These are terrible ideas. As for Gove, I think he is on a power trip and heading for a big fall if he really thinks parents are going to accept all his crazy ideas.... And now I'm fuming, and I don't even have children at school!!

hectors house
03-02-2014, 07:41 AM
Going off the initial thread slightly but I wish they would introduce longer days and shorter holidays for uni students - then they could get a degree in 2 years instead of 3 and not have to pay for expensive accommodation that they aren't even living in during the holidays.

SYLVIA
03-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Going off the initial thread slightly but I wish they would introduce longer days and shorter holidays for uni students - then they could get a degree in 2 years instead of 3 and not have to pay for expensive accommodation that they aren't even living in during the holidays.

I agree with this. My daughter is in her last year but she never seems to be in uni,more working at home. But we still have to pay the same fees.

Simona
03-02-2014, 09:51 AM
I agree with the comment about Uni students...they certainly face huge fees and debts for the privilege of getting a degree

Not sure if anyone watched Gove on the Marr show yesterday morning?...it was a rather controversial interview and all his warped proposals came out such as punishing children to address their bad behaviour...
the introduction of 'no notice' inspections for schools where behaviour appears to be a problem
Baroness Morgan getting the sack as Ofsted chair ..who will replace her, oftsed independence from the Dfe and the longer school hours he is fond of introducing

What he wants to introduce is 'extra curricular' activities in schools...these has been widely reported in various articles yesterday
am I wrong in saying these activities are already available? Children can access activities at 8am and also those after 3.15 pm....so nothing new here

What he has not addressed is the fact that these extra curricular activities are not 'compulsory' and that parents pay for them...so what is the plan he is trying to sell? that longer hours if introduced will address the cost of childcare?...not sure how his logic works

can he truly introduce such proposals when he is at loggerheads with the teaching profession?
will teachers ever agree longer school days and shorter holiday?
will parent agree as well?
is the proposal family friendly?

The only thing not discussed on the show was his proposal to test 4 year olds....he is totally out of touch there as he appears not to know how the system works in EY and once children enter school at Reception....

All in all a very fruitful day for the Education Minister...or so he may believe

If anyone is interested they can add to this poll by Voice the union
Poll: Are the school (summer) holidays “too long”? (updated) | Voice Blog (http://blog.voicetheunion.org.uk/?p=9298)