PDA

View Full Version : Mindee no show, advice?

Miss freckles
29-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Looking for some advice on how to approach this situation.

I have a 5y after school a few days a week. Mum generally sees me as a babysitter, doesn't bother to read anything I send home like newsletters etc. I know this as whenever I verbally remind her of what was in the letters she's oblivious. Never even got a happy Xmas or a thank you anyway....

Lo or mum generally have a lot of time off work/school, I went to collect her as normal last Friday to be told by the TA that she wasn't at school today she's poorly. I never got a txt or call from mum at all. Monday was her bday so I txt mum asking if I was collecting as normal her reply said no, I'm collecting her early and taking her out. No apology for Friday and also when was she going to tell me she was picking up.

Go to school to collect her today and again the TA tells me she's not in, again no text or call from mum. Now I have to pick my children up from this school so I'm sure mum just thinks it's no big deal to me except what she doesn't seem to realise is I plan meals for her and buy extra in as she's so fussy and I'm nice enough to adjust what we eat on those days to suit her!! And I've set up activities for her, these things are all things I'm sure mum just doesn't realise.

I know I have to address this, I can't just ignore it otherwise she will think I'm not bothered and just carry on so my question is how exactly would you address this situation?

Mouse
29-01-2014, 04:24 PM
Do you charge for the times you go to collect the child, but she isn't there?

rickysmiths
29-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Does she pay you for the days she isn't with you? Does she pay you on time?

Do you use Pacey Contracts if you do what did you fill in on page 4 about ending the Contract id there was no Contact and they don't use you? I allow a week in mine.

However there has been some contact hasn't there even though it was sparked by you.

I have an after Nursery one that does this to me but I had the foresight to charge a min fee for a min of four days so it doesn't really bother me. I always text before I set out to Nursery if I haven't heard so since Sept I have only gone once when mum turned up as well. She rarely uses me 4 days a week and if she does it is rarely for the full six hours.

It depends on your Contract with mum but it sounds as if you need to get her in for a chat or just give notice or you will resent her.

chris goodyear
29-01-2014, 04:35 PM
I would be very unhappy to be treated like that and my first thought was to give notice! However I spoke to my daughter who works with me and she was a bit nicer and said you should tell this parent face to face this is not acceptable. Tell her does she realise this is your job and you are not just her personal babysitter and a quick text or phone call to say LO is not in school today would be appreciated. Is it a cultural thing and mum doesn't think she is doing anything wrong? If it doesn't improve after this then I would definitely give notice, you don't have to give a reason just make sure you comply with your contract conditions. Hope this helps.

Miss freckles
29-01-2014, 04:47 PM
I should of mentioned in the first post that I'm paid by her college so my payment contract is with them not her, however I do have a contract with her and signed. College only pay me when she attends college and if her attendance drops below 80% which I'm pretty sure she can't be far from that! They stop all payment.

I'm going to have to speak to her about it, it's not acceptable!

bunyip
29-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Maybe that's the nub of the problem. College are (hopefully) paying, so mum doesn't give 2 hoots cos she has nothing invested in the arrangement.

I'd make sure that any college-funded arrangement is backed up by a condition that mum pays if college fail to do so. Also she should be paying for booked time, whether or not she chooses to use it.

I'd put this mum on a warning and start to advertise/look for a more reliable replacement.

Btw, failure to turn up at a childcare setting (as well as being downright selfish and inconsiderate) can be treated as a safeguarding concern if it continues. You might remind mum of that too. :mad:

Kerry30
29-01-2014, 08:30 PM
I have an after schoolie, that i sometimes turn up at school to be told by teacher that shes not at school or been sent home! Annoying! I then ring parent just to 'double check' that shes not in school. Parent is aplogetic! I collect my dd from the same school. She does txt now and again to let me no. Was annoyed today tho when i got a txt 10mins b4 i was about to leave to say mindee wasnt at school, especially as had to wake lo's and my dd was staying on at school for an extra hour for a club grrrr! The up side is i get paid regardless of whether mindee comes or not!

VeggieSausage
30-01-2014, 09:28 AM
I agree this could be a safeguarding concern, do you think the child is actually ill or just being kept off.....wonder if mum has dropped out of college....

karen m
30-01-2014, 11:17 AM
I have had this recently , child not coming in the morning and mr having to ring round to see if I was collecting from nursery, well after discussing contract with mum a few weeks ago and saying it was up to her to inform me if the child didn't come in the morning but I was to collect at lunchtime , contract reviewed last week , this week child doesn't arrive in morning so I never went to pick up as no contact from mum , dad calls 4 minutes after child is finished did I have her , no explained to dad contract review , write a 4 weeks notice of contract cancellation , give it mum next morning on drop off her excuse she had told boyfriend to keep child off nursery , but he sent her in and I should just go each day to see , sorry no I won't contract ends 27 February