PDA

View Full Version : Do you think it's possible to be graded outstanding, while doing minimum paperwork?

sing-low
28-01-2014, 05:48 PM
A few threads recently have got me thinking. I'm fed up with doing paperwork just for the sake of it. As far as I'm concerned, writing down that you have done something is not evidence that you have done it, it is just evidence that you have written it down. Either way, Mrs O has to take your word for it. And I'm not minding for or because of an Ofsted grading but because I believe I can take good care of my LOs and meet their needs. So on to my question: is is possible to be graded outstanding while doing minimum paperwork?

rickysmiths
28-01-2014, 05:56 PM
If you meet all the criteria and step out of the box yes. I know a cm who is outstanding and does not do a SEF, no Learning Journals, no written planning, no trackers for development in fact the absolute min of paperwork.

rollypolly
28-01-2014, 06:07 PM
It's a tricky one. Mrs o said that she could see that I was meeting all the children's developmental needs but lacked some of the evidence on paper! I was graded good, when she was leaving, she commented that it was a shame because I was only a few pieces of paperwork from outstanding. But to be honest, I have been minding for 10 years. I'm a very happy with the service I provide. Families tend to stay with me for years and most of my new l/o's come from being recommended by families I'm working with. I agree with what your saying, just because it's written, doesn't mean it's happened!

sing-low
28-01-2014, 06:49 PM
If you meet all the criteria and step out of the box yes. I know a cm who is outstanding and does not do a SEF, no Learning Journals, no written planning, no trackers for development in fact the absolute min of paperwork.
What do you mean by 'step out of the box'?

Simona
28-01-2014, 07:00 PM
very interesting question ...is there a minimum or maximum?
some cms may need several pieces of evidence while others get away with just one

Planning for each child can be done within their observations and assessment...no need for reams of paper
Tracking too can be done via observations not costly booklets
Some do 'All about me' but it can be incorporated in the Starting points
General planning can show overall what you provide but again no files and files needed...what matters is how we present the evidence of outcomes for children to the inspectors and she can see the progress

The EYFS was meant to save on paperwork and I am still of the opinion CMs do far far too much.....SEF I do but CPD is the main source of reflection because it is my choice not like the SEF which is devised by someone else and longwinded...it used to be very repetitive too.
Portfolios/LJs I feel are nice for the parents and the children love them

Simple I feel is more effective...but we are all different!
I agree Rickysmiths...we could think out of the box :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
28-01-2014, 07:43 PM
What do you mean by 'step out of the box'?

You need to look at Ofsted's Evaluation schedule for inspections of registered early years provision November 2013 Ref No 120086 pages 16,17 and 18.

Ofsted | Evaluation schedule for inspections of registered early years provision (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/evaluation-schedule-for-inspections-of-registered-early-years-provision)

lorettacritchet
28-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Lucky her!

QUOTE=rickysmiths;1337577]If you meet all the criteria and step out of the box yes. I know a cm who is outstanding and does not do a SEF, no Learning Journals, no written planning, no trackers for development in fact the absolute min of paperwork.[/QUOTE]

Maza
28-01-2014, 09:47 PM

I would love to read her Ofsted report!

rickysmiths
29-01-2014, 04:30 PM
I haven't read it but knowing her it is very good and positive. You do have to be very confident and be able to talk to pull it off.