PDA

View Full Version : Working weekends- how do I say no?

Glitter
27-01-2014, 12:32 PM
I had an enquiry from a parent to care for her child at the weekends. The parent did not have a job yet and thought she would only need two days a month.
I agree that would be fine and asked her to come for a visit so we could meet up.

The parent has been emailing me but said she could not visit yet. She has just emailed to say she has had a job offer and she would like to come for a visit next week. The problem is the email also said she will either need at least two full weekends a month, or one day every weekend. I really don't want to work that much as I work all week and need weekends to relax.

What is the best way to tell this lady I can not work that many days a month without upsetting her. I know she will not find other childcare at weekends as no one offers it, and in my area reputation is important. With out a good reputation I will not get more work.

Anyone have advice about how to deal with this situation?

little chickee
27-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Reply, thank you for your email. Your original email stated 2 weekend days a month which I am able to accommodate. However as you are now requiring more weekend days I'm sorry but I can not offer you a space as I cannot accommodate your needs. I can still offer the 2 days a month , but no more. Sorry for the inconvenience.

MessybutHappy
27-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Be honest! Tell her that her original request was something you could do, but that you are not able to take on any more than that. Please can she confirm whether she'd like to continue with the meeting knowing this?
Don't take her on, then regret it, that really does have the potential to end badly!

FussyElmo
27-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Simply NO.

If you dont work weekends and do not want to email her backs and say unfortunately you do not offer weekend hours.

There will be no damage to your reputation :)

JCrakers
27-01-2014, 12:55 PM
If it was me, my reply would be friendly but to the point :D

Congratulations on your job offer! As much as I would like to offer a space to your little one, unfortunately I don't work weekends. My working hours are Mon-Fri 8-6pm.
I wish you all the best in finding someone and apologies again that I cannot be of more help.

Then go on to give her any names you do know if you know of anyone

In your case, as you had already said yes to a couple of days, just e truthful with her, say you don't mind doing 2 days a month but anymore than that you are not doing :D

ivy
27-01-2014, 06:12 PM
NO.
Keep it simple no need to justify answer .