PDA

View Full Version : researching local childminders

Kidston
27-01-2014, 09:51 AM
How do you do it?
I want to find out how much childminders round here charge but non have a website and most dont have profiles on childcare. Would you just call up pretending to be a parent or would you just call up saying im currently registering?
Theres a cm the next street from me im really interested in hearing if she thinks there is a demand locally.

Mouse
27-01-2014, 10:03 AM
I would phone up & be honest, saying you're registering and wonder if she would mind if you asked a few questions.

Us childminders do get to know which callers sound genuine & which ones are just fishing for info :p

I would much rather a new cm was honest with me. I'm more than happy to help if they just ask :thumbsup:

Pixie dust
27-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Do you not have a Family information directory run by your early years team/ council. I thought most areas have a family information service where parents can ring or access the web page which lists all the local childminders. Ours and my neighbouring county council have a web page with childminders info with fees/vacancies/what the childminder offers.

Smiley
27-01-2014, 10:28 AM
Yes as Pixie dust suggested check on your LA FIS website, hopefully you can do a childcare search. Although not all childminders announce their fees via their LA website. In that section I and many I know have used the wording 'contact provider'

dawn100
27-01-2014, 10:53 AM
I agree with what mouse said and dont phone up pretending to be a parent as I know that can really put up some cm's backs as most can tell the difference.
I think most cm's prefer honesty, some might not be prepared to help or share info but hopefully you will some who will.

Tulip
27-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Can you get yourself down to your local library and use their computers :)

rickysmiths
27-01-2014, 11:26 AM
What about visiting your local Children's Centre? They should be able to give you an idea about local costs.