PDA

View Full Version : Starting point observations for new starter

Kaybeaa
26-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Help! I've only been minding about a month and ofsted are coming in the next couple of weeks to grade me. My 2 mindees (both 3 days a week) started the week before Christmas, and so far, in terms of their starting points I have an All About Me, and about 10 obs per child with pictures and comments and some next steps which are in the LJ, I've labelled this "getting to know you". I've also dated on EYO when I've noticed a child doing something, so more obs. Does anyone know if this is enough? Too much? And should I be starting their individual planning now based on what I know so far? (I've got yearly planning and a continuous provision booklet)

moggy
26-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Individual planning I am sure you are doing already without realising it-

- you get out a toy that you know the child will like (because you obs the day before), that is daily planning...

- you extend their play a bit by trying a new variation on something they have done already (because you made an obs last week and a next step even if you didn't write it down you know what would be a good thing to do next to help the learning), that's weekly planning...

- you think about next month how it is Valentines and maybe it would be nice to decorate cards for loved ones, that is monthly planning....

etc.

You might just want to note these things down in a diary or on a sheet, call it 'planning' if you like, things you might do the next days are daily planning, things you'll get round to arranging next week are 'weekly planning', things that take a bit longer to arrange (like a trip somewhere) are monthly planning along with any events and seasonal things like Valentines etc. Try to note why you are doing each (due to a previous obs) and then they will generate more new obs which lead to new plannings.

I am sure you are already doing it all. You just need to find a way to write it down to help you explain it to the inspector.

Kaybeaa
26-01-2014, 08:42 PM
That makes a lot of sense, thankyou

Does anyone know whether or not about 10 picture obs in the child's learning journey and headed "getting to know you observations" is enough or should I be doing more as I get to know the child? Only reason I ask is because their learning journeys look quite full considering they've only been with me a few weeks and I'm concerned that might work against me...!

sing-low
26-01-2014, 08:50 PM
I think that will be viewed as a good thing. Emphasis now is on getting started 'teaching' as soon as possible by quickly doing starting points so you know where the child is at and then move on to individual planning and next steps. Good advice above re planning. You are probably already doing it!

Kaybeaa
27-01-2014, 07:56 AM
I hope so! Thanks guya

Simona
27-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Help! I've only been minding about a month and ofsted are coming in the next couple of weeks to grade me. My 2 mindees (both 3 days a week) started the week before Christmas, and so far, in terms of their starting points I have an All About Me, and about 10 obs per child with pictures and comments and some next steps which are in the LJ, I've labelled this "getting to know you". I've also dated on EYO when I've noticed a child doing something, so more obs. Does anyone know if this is enough? Too much? And should I be starting their individual planning now based on what I know so far? (I've got yearly planning and a continuous provision booklet)

I think you have posted this before...it is hard to say whether what you are doing is enough...it is up to you to put in place a system that suits you
You say you have been minding a month...that is enough to give you starting points surely and now move on to next steps?

How do you know Osted are coming in the next 2 weeks? if you are sure of that try to contact someone in your LA to came and have a look at your paperwork...I am sure there will be someone there for support

Kaybeaa
27-01-2014, 11:33 AM
I've posted before about ofsted coming that's right but when I last posted I wasn't sure if I was doing enough. Since all of your helpful advice on this forum I've worked my bum off and got a lot sorted and now I'm wondering if 10 picture obs plus EYO obs on top of that is too much! I have contacted my Learning development team to ask them to come to see me and have yet to hear back which is very normal for them. I know ofsted are coming within a month as that's what prospects told me when they rang.

Anyway I'll stop asking questions now for fear of making more of a nuisance of myself than I already have!!! Lol x

Kirstylob
27-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Its never a nuisance to ask questions!
Ask as many as you like, there are plenty of helpful people here ti answer you.
Sounds like your doing great. X

Simona
27-01-2014, 12:50 PM
I've posted before about ofsted coming that's right but when I last posted I wasn't sure if I was doing enough. Since all of your helpful advice on this forum I've worked my bum off and got a lot sorted and now I'm wondering if 10 picture obs plus EYO obs on top of that is too much! I have contacted my Learning development team to ask them to come to see me and have yet to hear back which is very normal for them. I know ofsted are coming within a month as that's what prospects told me when they rang.

Anyway I'll stop asking questions now for fear of making more of a nuisance of myself than I already have!!! Lol x

I think you are doing all you can...it would be good for someone in the team to come and have a look to reassure you so you can relax but I can see they are in no hurry to respond to you...any other CM close who could help you?
Photos...you can add as many as you can, the more the better if you do not mind doing that, they will also show the Characteristics of EL

amyp
27-01-2014, 01:27 PM
What's an EYO observation? X

cherry
27-01-2014, 01:36 PM
You ask as many questions as you like, this forum is here to help everyone :thumbsup:

Kaybeaa
27-01-2014, 02:31 PM
Thankyou everyone. You've all been very helpful so far! There's a childminder near me that I might ask. Just don't know if she'll see me as competition and not want to help!

An EYO ob is an observation relating to something in the early years outcome booklet. :)

amyp
27-01-2014, 03:07 PM
What is the early years outcome booklet? I am new to childminding but have never heard of it! Whoops x

Simona
27-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Thankyou everyone. You've all been very helpful so far! There's a childminder near me that I might ask. Just don't know if she'll see me as competition and not want to help!

An EYO ob is an observation relating to something in the early years outcome booklet. :)

I am sure she won't mind helping you...good luck

amyp...this is the link to the EYO

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/237249/Early_Years_Outcomes.pdf