PDA

View Full Version : Planning ideas for new starter 7 month old

nessa80
25-01-2014, 04:37 PM
Hello, HELP I have a new starter next week and he's only 7month old and really don't know what planning I could do, I will only have him so I don't need to worry to try to get lots of children involve apart from my own LO who's 2years old.
I think planning for toddlers is much easier! :-)

sarah707
25-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Observe what he likes doing - and ask parents about his favourite toys and games at home - and extend his learning and development with some fun activities!

I think you are over thinking it - he's 7 months old so he will explore, play with his toes, be starting to move and take an interest, chat to you... build on that :D

amylouise867
26-01-2014, 12:45 AM
Hello, HELP I have a new starter next week and he's only 7month old and really don't know what planning I could do, I will only have him so I don't need to worry to try to get lots of children involve apart from my own LO who's 2years old. I think planning for toddlers is much easier! :-)

Hello there,

Yes get familiar with his likes and dislikes for the first few days.

You will soon be over run with ideas and activities you would like to try.

Some ideas

Sensory bottles always go down great!! You could have a go at making them with the older children you have during other days and then let him explore them once they are made and secured.

I keep a stash of jar tops aswel all different sizes and colours and keep them in a container. Something so so simple but the children LOVE exploring, emptying them, filling containers up with them and evening mastering the popping noise they make when you press them down in the centre.

I have a colourful box filled with ribbons and fabrics with different textures - goes down well with all ages again.

Make some edible finger paints and let him do some Mark making :)

Spaghetti play

Bubbles

Musical instruments

Use a shallow tray and fill with a small amount of water - you could place some plastic shapes, characters etc in there for him to fish out.

One activity to consider too which will go down well is filling a large container with cereals (obviously check there is no allergies and so on)
I have a large sand tray which I brought from Argos that I always use for edible activities. I fill the sections with corn flakes, rice crispies, coco pops and the children explore, fill containers, love the crunching and eating!
Can get abit messy but it stimulates all the senses and keep them occupied.

Play some music for the little one too - who doesn't like music :)

I could go on and on all day.

Just a little thought too - Velentine Day is approaching - do a painting/card etc for his parents/carers :)

Hope that helps a little :)

Good Luck and have fun :) xxx

nessa80
26-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Hello there, Yes get familiar with his likes and dislikes for the first few days. You will soon be over run with ideas and activities you would like to try. Some ideas Sensory bottles always go down great!! You could have a go at making them with the older children you have during other days and then let him explore them once they are made and secured. I keep a stash of jar tops aswel all different sizes and colours and keep them in a container. Something so so simple but the children LOVE exploring, emptying them, filling containers up with them and evening mastering the popping noise they make when you press them down in the centre. I have a colourful box filled with ribbons and fabrics with different textures - goes down well with all ages again. Make some edible finger paints and let him do some Mark making :) Spaghetti play Bubbles Musical instruments Use a shallow tray and fill with a small amount of water - you could place some plastic shapes, characters etc in there for him to fish out. One activity to consider too which will go down well is filling a large container with cereals (obviously check there is no allergies and so on) I have a large sand tray which I brought from Argos that I always use for edible activities. I fill the sections with corn flakes, rice crispies, coco pops and the children explore, fill containers, love the crunching and eating! Can get abit messy but it stimulates all the senses and keep them occupied. Play some music for the little one too - who doesn't like music :) I could go on and on all day. Just a little thought too - Velentine Day is approaching - do a painting/card etc for his parents/carers :) Hope that helps a little :) Good Luck and have fun :) xxx

Wow, this is fantastic, thank you so much , you gave me so many ideas, can't wait for him to start next week :-) xx

Kaybeaa
26-01-2014, 08:42 AM
Hello there, Yes get familiar with his likes and dislikes for the first few days. You will soon be over run with ideas and activities you would like to try. Some ideas Sensory bottles always go down great!! You could have a go at making them with the older children you have during other days and then let him explore them once they are made and secured. I keep a stash of jar tops aswel all different sizes and colours and keep them in a container. Something so so simple but the children LOVE exploring, emptying them, filling containers up with them and evening mastering the popping noise they make when you press them down in the centre. I have a colourful box filled with ribbons and fabrics with different textures - goes down well with all ages again. Make some edible finger paints and let him do some Mark making :) Spaghetti play Bubbles Musical instruments Use a shallow tray and fill with a small amount of water - you could place some plastic shapes, characters etc in there for him to fish out. One activity to consider too which will go down well is filling a large container with cereals (obviously check there is no allergies and so on) I have a large sand tray which I brought from Argos that I always use for edible activities. I fill the sections with corn flakes, rice crispies, coco pops and the children explore, fill containers, love the crunching and eating! Can get abit messy but it stimulates all the senses and keep them occupied. Play some music for the little one too - who doesn't like music :) I could go on and on all day. Just a little thought too - Velentine Day is approaching - do a painting/card etc for his parents/carers :) Hope that helps a little :) Good Luck and have fun :) xxx

Some brilliant suggestions. A treasure basket is also a great resource for the very little ones. Google "treasure basket" and there's lots of suggestions as to what to put in it. I have a 7 month old mindee and when the older ones are doing painting I put some on his hands and he does hand print painting.

However... How do you make edible paint? That sounds great!!

Simona
26-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Mirrors...mirrors and more mirrors...babies love them as they start to look at their own reflection, babbling to themselves and kissing their reflection!!
Look in DM under Positive Relationships...lots of idea there for all the Prime Areas