PDA

View Full Version : Logistics with 3 under 3

MrsP2C
24-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Ive always had just 2 lo's during the day but now I'm getting more confident in my CMing abilities & mindees are now a little older (all around 2) I'm starting to think about taking on another pre-schooler & have had a couple of enquiries for 8-10month old but struggling with logistics.

school run - I use a double buggy for 2 LOs with straps for young school children to hold (busy road to cross). Whilst my 2yr old mindees could walk the distance, I don't think I can safely have one of out of the buggy even in a harness so not sure how would I manage with a 3rd little one. Got a babycity mini double so would a buggy board work & would it be ok for a 2 year old?

Sleeping - currently have 2 travel cots in our 2 upstairs bedrooms. Where would a 3rd sleep?!

Car/out & about - going to the park how do you keep an eye on 3 without keeping them on reins?! Ditto playgroups, soft play etc I'm concerned I'll be spreading myself too thin to the detriment of existing mindees.

I could do with the extra income as I've just lost a school child 4 days a week & my only enquires are little ones, but, don't want to over commit & then regret it and do worry that a 3rd might make working a chore rather than a pleasure (mainly ;))

Any advice?

raeward08
24-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Hi i have 3 under the age of 3, and so i also invested in a buggy board for buggy (same as yours), super idea, unfortunately my 2yr old (who is also mine) dislikes the board & it ends up being a battle of wills keeping him on it! Would may e try one of your mindees out before taking on another. Also found when out & about napoy changing is a bit manic as need to keep eyes on everyone.

However it is great fun & it keeps you on your toes.

Mummits
24-01-2014, 12:04 PM
As far as equipment is concerned, I'd say a triple buggy would be essential with three under three. My baby currently sleeps in a carry cot, but will soon need his own travel cot, but then travel cots are not that expensive so I don't see that as a problem. Buggies are expensive, but maybe possible to get second hand, and the investment does soon get paid back as you will be earning 50% more. I would have three of similar age given the choice, as my toddlers can be a bit jealous when I feed or fuss over the baby (now the novelty has worn off!). It's also much easier to supervise three if you have three who can all do the same things - harder if you need to keep different plates spinning.

KatieFS
24-01-2014, 01:34 PM
I have 3 under 3 and manage a playgroup and school runs
Playgroup - have to be super organised night before. Get car seats buggy, bags etc ready to go. I get babies nappies changed and toddler wee before we go so unless they do a poo won't need to do nappies until I get home. I take double buggy into playgroup with me so if need to do something with one can keep them safe (2 are on walkers). Can be busy but they all love being out - and I need to get out too!
School runs - non walkers in double buggy and 2 yo walks.
I would assess and see if 2 yo walking will work. I too tried buggy board but 2 yo didn't like it.
Lots of fun keeps me v busy!

jackie 7
24-01-2014, 01:40 PM
I often have 3 under 3. I have a t3 buggy. 3travel cots I have had 2asleep I. The same room. They are around the same age. When I was in London I had 3 who were very close in age. They would wake up snd chat to each other. I leave playgrounds when it gets full. I make sure all nappies find before going out. I don't do after school so don't have to worry about school runs.

Louise_Oaktree
24-01-2014, 02:10 PM
You need to remember that after a couple of months things will get much easier, it takes practice but little ones are very adaptable and will learn to walk and hold onto the pushchair. I use reins and so I can hold them and push the buggy.

You wouldn't need to have 3 every day so why not try taking on someone for 2 or 3 days then you can get out on the other days to groups etc.

I drive to parks in the countryside where it is mostly quiet and there is a fence all the way around, I use hi-vis waistcoats when very busy as it makes my little ones easy to count :)

cathtee
24-01-2014, 09:32 PM
I have three under 3, the 3rd only started for one day and came on a day when only had one so he fitted in nicely, but then mom wanted an extra day for 6 hours so I fitted him into 9-3 so buggy wasn't an issue but we do playgroup on that day so walking was out so use the car. At playgroup it's ok as they are 2 3/4, 2 1/2, and just 2 so they are mobile and go off, I sit by the door so I can see them at all times sleeping isn't a problem as only one sleeps.

redtiger21
26-01-2014, 04:40 PM
I have 3 under-3s twice a wk, soon to be 3days a wk. It's certainly a challenge and takes some re-thinking (i.e. I had to just accept that the mess was going to be worse those days, and have to really think about when to do messy play, and lunches have to be a much simpler affair so that I can be available very quickly when needed, as 2yo twins are potty training!) I have a twin stroller with a buggy board, but don't particularly like using it and am finding that I'm restricting trips out to library, park etc because of it- so I've just purchased a buggypod that goes on the side of my tandem. I'll see how it goes this week! For sleeping I have 2cots in one room and one in another, all upstairs. x

samb
26-01-2014, 07:29 PM
I use a Phil and teds side by side double with an easy x rider on the back for my 3 under 3s. I don't go to busy toddler groups only 1 small one and a childminder group. I go to parks when it is quieter and try and keep them together. I am starting to let my 2 almost 2 year olds walk shorter distances on reins attached to buggy too. I have a hip seat with a strap round the back to help with carrying the ones that don't walk to get them into the car safely etc. it's hard going but lovely. I now feel odd when I am out with only 2!

samb
26-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Oh and I have currently 2 travel cots and a cot sized mattress. Youngest sleeps in travel cot in my room and the other 2 sleep in my children's room- the travel cot against the drawers and the mattress the other side just in case the one on the mattress gets up he then can't open anything!

MrsP2C
26-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Thanks that's brilliant really helpful advice & plenty to think about.

I've just messaged one of the enquiries as she wants quite flexible terms (min 1 day maximum 3 per week) which I normally wouldn't consider but actually might work for my 3rd space as I can earn more on busier weeks but then get out & about more on quieter weeks.

lisbet
26-01-2014, 11:08 PM
Those hours sound like they would work very well for you for the foreseeable future :thumbsup:

I started with very young ones, and now they're older and settled in I have taken on a 3rd. So now I have 3 under 2yrs on 4 days a week. (1 only comes for 5hrs a day though, I don't have any schoolies and I have most school holidays off. :phew:)

School runs: I don't have a car. For the few school walks where I have 3, I have a double Nipper 360 pushchair and a Babyhawk OhSnap carrier that is comfy even with a toddler. Nearer summer I'm going to get a buggy board as another option.

Sleeping: I hoped I'd be able to have more than one LO sleep in the same room, but the particular children that I have would disturb each other, so I have one in my bedroom in a cot; 1 in the sitting room on a mattress, and 1 in the pushchair in the kitchen-diner.

Groups: All my children come 3 days or less, so playing at my house is still a novelty for them - like a very small playgroup! :laughing: By the time you've taken eating, sleeping, nappy changing etc out of their day, they still don't have time to get bored even if we just play in the house/ garden. There are some groups that work well for them though - it depends on the layout of the room, types of activities etc.

It's all a juggling act, but on the whole, great fun! x