PDA

View Full Version : What!!!!

jackie 7
24-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Got a lo 20 months. First week so far all she will do is stand by my sofa looking out the window. Doesn't say much. Mum talks English and Bulgarian to her. She is on short term contract and comes 4 days. Mum arrived and said as she has some hospital appointments she WILL come at the weekend. I tried to explain that A I only do emergency care over weekends. B that I charge much more for weekends and C I only do it if it suits me. Ok I didn't say I only do it if I want to. But it was attitude that I would be open and it was normal for me to drags self out of bed early

AliceK
24-01-2014, 10:12 AM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: nothing surprises me anymore. Don't you know yet that you don't have a personal life, every waking minute of your life belongs to the parents.

I hope you put her straight.

xxxxx

Koala
24-01-2014, 10:21 AM
And of course she wanted you to do this for peanuts or didn't even consider payment :panic: , again I am not surprised at anything anymore, it's a shame but I just waite for the next parent to of load their c :censored: rap on me. Thank :censored: it's Friday :clapping: :clapping:

dawn100
24-01-2014, 10:39 AM
I've just had a parent tell me they are changing their hours! I replied I will need time to think if I can accomadate the change of hours! They were shocked! :angry: :angry:

rickysmiths
24-01-2014, 10:41 AM
But how unreasonable of you Jackie all she wants to do is swap days what is wrong with you :laughing:

You don't do anything at the weekends do you? I thought you sat at home waiting for your minded families to arrive :laughing:

I wonder what the local Nursery would have said? What did she say when you explained it doesn't work like that? It would be nice to be asked as well.

kellib
24-01-2014, 11:10 AM
I think they all think our lives revolve around them and the little darlings!

I had one parent, who is contracted to Wednesdays & Thursdays, say to me actually LO will be with you Tuesday & Wednesday next week.

Actually I think you'll find LO won't be! Parent was shocked and kept mentioning having to change shifts etc but I stood my ground. If id had a bit more notice or even a please I might have considered it!

Koala
24-01-2014, 11:31 AM
I think the difference is the please and the thank you or even just a request instead of being told - I am increasingly infuriated about parents rudeness - I have one mum who comes a little late all the time - I don't really mind what does insult me is that she will apologize to her son who is 14 m old but NEVER to me!

Is it me, am I just so out of touch to expect a little etiquette!! :angry: :angry: and :angry:

Ripeberry
24-01-2014, 11:51 AM
You need to tell her in no uncertain terms that you are NOT employed by HER. You are providing a service and YOU decide the days/hours that you will work. All with a nice smile of course :D

KatieFS
24-01-2014, 01:36 PM
How does no grab you?

nicjelley
24-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Some people are unbelievable :(
Get them told x

dawn100
24-01-2014, 02:11 PM
I like to help parents out where possible as I believe if you show a little bit of willing when you want something in return eg short notice change of hours due to school production they are more likely to oblige ( I know it doesn't always happen) but and it's a big but I like to be asked as far as possible in advance with the understanding that whilst as far as possible I will accommodate (within reason) I can't always accommodate their requests as I do have a life and a family and make plans for when I am not working. I like to be asked and given time to think and check and not be made to feel guilty if I say no!!! Oh and to be appreciated for accommodating their request - just a simple thank you is enough!

Simona
24-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Got a lo 20 months. First week so far all she will do is stand by my sofa looking out the window. Doesn't say much. Mum talks English and Bulgarian to her. She is on short term contract and comes 4 days. Mum arrived and said as she has some hospital appointments she WILL come at the weekend. I tried to explain that A I only do emergency care over weekends. B that I charge much more for weekends and C I only do it if it suits me. Ok I didn't say I only do it if I want to. But it was attitude that I would be open and it was normal for me to drags self out of bed early

Let's give the parent the benefit of the doubt...I would go through the contract and explain clearly weekends are not working days for you and is there any other arrangements she could make with friends, family or such to care for the child?

A hospital appointment at the weekend is unusual ...ask if she could explain if it is an emergency or routine
you say that you would charge more...is this in the contract that maybe the parent has seen?
you may want to help ...if not you can say you have other plans and not suitable

jackie 7
24-01-2014, 05:57 PM
I just had a lo g talk with her. She wanted to swop week day for weekend but realised from what I said I only do emergency cover at weekends. She asked if closer to her exams if I could do it. I said I understood that shd might need help then as her husband was also doing exams. I said book in advance and if I could help I would do 1 day over weekend. She went away happy but a big surprised st how much I would charge!! I don't get out of bed at weekends for low pay.

Simona
24-01-2014, 06:18 PM
I just had a lo g talk with her. She wanted to swop week day for weekend but realised from what I said I only do emergency cover at weekends. She asked if closer to her exams if I could do it. I said I understood that shd might need help then as her husband was also doing exams. I said book in advance and if I could help I would do 1 day over weekend. She went away happy but a big surprised st how much I would charge!! I don't get out of bed at weekends for low pay.

Well that is a very good result!
CMs should never get out of bed for low pay...not just at weekends but weekdays too! :rolleyes: