PDA

View Full Version : For those of you with Assistants

NinaBowen
22-01-2014, 09:23 PM
We have made the decision, that my husband will become my Assistant. He is being made redundant and this is a good opportunity for us. For those of you who have Assistants, does he just need to complete the EY2 form and complete a first aid course or is there anything else? Also how long does it take to get approval from Ofsted?

dawn sweet
22-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Yes EY2 form, 12 hour paediatric first aid and written consent from parents if your assistant is going to get for short periods of time.

Rickers83
23-01-2014, 09:44 AM
My husband and I looked into this, he will also need a new DBS check, as its a new position & you now have to pay for it.
OFSTED Told me it would take around 6-8 weeks as long as DBS came back ok
also they said he would only need first aid if he was going to be left alone with any of the children

good luck, hope it works out for you

maisiemog
23-01-2014, 10:12 AM
And for tax and accounts etc it will probably be better if he registers as self employed and sends you an invoice each week/month!

jackie 7
23-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Keeps record of when and for how long he is left alone with them.

NinaBowen
23-01-2014, 02:21 PM
How do we apply for a DBS check then? Does that automatically happen with you fill out the EY2 form? The check should be fine, had CRB check done 2 years ago so can't see any problems with this just formality. And oh didn't realise I would have to pay for it! Seems like you have to pay for everything now!

I have checked our square footage of our lounge which is 21 and that divided up is 3.5 which means we could have in total 6 children under the age of 5. Can I just go ahead and presume this or does anyone check it and confirm it??? How does this ratio measurement work with after school children? Or isn't it taken into account?

Dreading the amount of extra paperwork that this will bring! Still hopefully all being well if he still wants to in 6 months time he can apply to becoming a childminder instead. The assistant is the quickest way to get him working as will take 6 months for him to be registered and can't wait that long!

Rickers83
23-01-2014, 03:51 PM
When you contact ofsted they should give you the website address & a reference number, the company is called capita i think