PDA

View Full Version : Changing nappies at playgroup

Stapleton83
22-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Quick question if you are at playgroup and needed to change a nappy would you take all your mindees with you or not? Someone at mine today told me I should take all mine with me even though there are helpers from the playgroup, friends there etc.

What is your view?

Sam

kellyskidz!
22-01-2014, 01:04 PM
I asked another minder to keep an eye on mine if I've only got one other and she's in numbers or I take the others with me. I'm lucky because the nappy change area is off the main hall with no door so I can hear if there's anything going on or another minder shouts me back in. I think there's an OFSTED rule that says children should be within sight or hearing distance at all times but don't quote me on it :) x

Stapleton83
22-01-2014, 01:07 PM
There was another minder who was there and said it to me and I think you might be right the children just get so cross when I take them away from what they are playing with.

Thanks.

Sam x

JCrakers
22-01-2014, 01:08 PM
I think if you are with other childminders maybe you could leave them. I go to another childminders house to play and if one needs the toilet I leave the other 2 in the playroom with her and vice versa but if I was in the house on my own that's what I do anyway.

I wouldn't leave the children with anyone else such as friends or someone I knew because they are not dbs/crb checked and if something was to happen in the short space of time then its you who is accountable.

We have a childminding group in my town and I know everyone looks after everyone else's, whether they are supposed to or not, I don't know

When I go to toddler groups I always take all my 3 with me. The other childminder is there but she has 2 of her own so I wouldn't expect her to look after all 4.

kellyskidz!
22-01-2014, 01:21 PM
There was another minder who was there and said it to me and I think you might be right the children just get so cross when I take them away from what they are playing with.

Thanks.

Sam x

I know, it's a shame for them. My oldest one does a big dramatic sigh when I say lets go and quickly changes X's nappy, like I'm asking him to climb a mountain or something lol xx

sing-low
22-01-2014, 01:23 PM
Common sense (and I think this is how it works in practice) says it's ok to leave children with another cm as you know they are DBS checked (and ok'd by Ofsted). However, I'm not sure if this is the official answer. I think it was something we were told was ok when I did my CYPOP5, although I never have done. Just because it's usually my DD I'm leaving and that's up to me as a parent.

Emra81
22-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Yeah I've always wondered about this too. I leave my dd with a friend or another minder who wouldn't be over their numbers and then take both of the other 2 with me as they're the ones I'm being paid to look after...luckily dd is usually quite happy just cracking on without me!

charlottenash
22-01-2014, 01:58 PM
Hmmm it can get complicated, if we say 'yes it's ok to leave with another childminder' do we then need to see proof that they are an ofsted registered childminder before doing it!

I think the world has gone a bit bonkers :(

Mouse
22-01-2014, 03:08 PM
The groups I go to have always got other childminders there. If I need to go to the toilet myself, take one of the children to the toilet, or go & change a nappy, I ask the other cms to watch the remaining children for me. I often have 4 children & no way am I taking them all with me.

What if you had a baby with you, but needed to take a toddler to have their nappy changed? Where would you put the baby if you had to take it with you to the bathroom?

I really do think you have to use some common sense. You wouldn't leave children in a public soft play area, for instance, while you went off to the toilet, but if you are in a secure room with other childminders I really don't see the problem in asking them to keep an eye on your children for a couple of minutes.

mrs robbie williams
22-01-2014, 04:52 PM
I only go to sure start groups and ask them to watch others if need to take one to toilet :) x

Tazmin68
22-01-2014, 04:56 PM
We were advised by ofsted and coordinator that we need to get parents to sign a permission form to confirm that it is ok for their child to remain in a playroom with another named childminder when we are at groups for this particular sinario. On this form in my case it names two childminders and network coordinator who all have current DBS checks that are less than 3 years old.

Debbie

k-tots
22-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Yeah I've always wondered about this too. I leave my dd with a friend or another minder who wouldn't be over their numbers and then take both of the other 2 with me as they're the ones I'm being paid to look after...luckily dd is usually quite happy just cracking on without me!

I do the same...my own two stay but take the mindees together

munch149
22-01-2014, 06:24 PM
I have permission from parents to leave with childrens centre workers (that's where I go most of the time) this is mainly because I had three non walkers and it was such a palava to go to the loo. The parents know the staff too which helps. Otherwise I left my dd and took other two

sarah707
22-01-2014, 07:27 PM
I would take them with me - there are too many unannounced / malicious complaints being made at the moment :(

I want children in my sight and / or hearing at all times as required by the Eyfs xx

Simona
22-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Aren't we in danger of becoming scared of our own shadow and becoming slaves to a framework that relies on our professionalism to make sound decisions and judgement?

I would assume most cms change nappies before going to playgroup...if one needed changing this should be an occasional occurrence not standard practice so another well known and trusted CM should be able to cover for 10 mins?

We were allowed to nominate registered CMs for holiday 'cover' who would be well known to the children and with permission from families allow them to cover our breaks....isn't that what agencies will allow cms who join them?
I can't see why this should not apply here but, of course, everyone is different.

I can see we are now going to have to run and create another document to cover such eventualities ...yes children must be within hearing and sight as Sarah says but also safeguarded...I would assume being looked after by a trusted colleague falls in the category?

Hard to give any advice because we will see this differently

LauraS
22-01-2014, 07:55 PM
I take them all with me. I change them all before we go and when we get home, so they usually don't need changing whilst there anyway. I have more peace of mind taking them with me, especially as one of my Los is a bit bitey at the moment and one cries when I get more than six feet from him.

Mouse
22-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Out of interest, if children have to be in sight or hearing at all times, how do cms manage when they take children to soft play or toddler groups where the children are out of sight (at one of ours the room was such a shape that children could play round the corner. They were still in the main room, but couldn't always been seen & definitely couldn't be heard in the noise)?

And what about at nurseries when the children take themselves off to the toilet? Again, at our nursery, the children couldn't be seen or heard.

sing-low
22-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Out of interest, if children have to be in sight or hearing at all times, how do cms manage when they take children to soft play or toddler groups where the children are out of sight (at one of ours the room was such a shape that children could play round the corner. They were still in the main room, but couldn't always been seen & definitely couldn't be heard in the noise)?

And what about at nurseries when the children take themselves off to the toilet? Again, at our nursery, the children couldn't be seen or heard.

This is one of the things that mean that I won't be going to toddler group anymore :( It is too difficult to get all three children safely in and out while still keeping them within sight or hearing. I would have given up going long ago except for the fact that one of the three is my DD so can be left briefly. I've never needed to change a nappy and only once taken DD to the toilet (that time only had one LO so just took with me. With two, I'd have to put one in the pushchair to keep them safe and help DD. Far too much hassle, to my mind. Easier just not to go. Sad really, as it's the only time I get to meet other non-parents IYSWIM (nannies, but we're on the same wavelength).

With regards to soft play, we have a huge one near us but I can only go with just DD and one other, again to comply with the EYFS. Actually in this case, I wouldn't want them out of sight anyway as they're just too small and vulnerable. There is a smaller one but it's too far to go and come back within school/pre-school drop off times. Sigh!

Mouse
22-01-2014, 08:45 PM
This is one of the things that mean that I won't be going to toddler group anymore :( It is too difficult to get all three children safely in and out while still keeping them within sight or hearing. I would have given up going long ago except for the fact that one of the three is my DD so can be left briefly. I've never needed to change a nappy and only once taken DD to the toilet (that time only had one LO so just took with me. With two, I'd have to put one in the pushchair to keep them safe and help DD. Far too much hassle, to my mind. Easier just not to go. Sad really, as it's the only time I get to meet other non-parents IYSWIM (nannies, but we're on the same wavelength).

With regards to soft play, we have a huge one near us but I can only go with just DD and one other, again to comply with the EYFS. Actually in this case, I wouldn't want them out of sight anyway as they're just too small and vulnerable. There is a smaller one but it's too far to go and come back within school/pre-school drop off times. Sigh!

It's very interesting that you say you don't go to groups because of leaving the children. Ofsted are very keen for us to go to groups with the children and i wonder how they would view it if none of us went because we couldn't leave the children to go to the toilet? I'm due an inspection soon, so think I'm going to ask about that :thumbsup:

Simona
22-01-2014, 09:00 PM
It's very interesting that you say you don't go to groups because of leaving the children. Ofsted are very keen for us to go to groups with the children and i wonder how they would view it if none of us went because we couldn't leave the children to go to the toilet? I'm due an inspection soon, so think I'm going to ask about that :thumbsup:

What happens in Childrens Centres for those who attend?
surely we cannot give up taking children to places where they experience the 'larger' group environment because of the possibility we need to change a nappy?

this needs to be reflected upon and not have another area where we are worried about our 'well planned' actions?

Mouse
22-01-2014, 09:14 PM
What happens in Childrens Centres for those who attend?
surely we cannot give up taking children to places where they experience the 'larger' group environment because of the possibility we need to change a nappy?

this needs to be reflected upon and not have another area where we are worried about our 'well planned' actions?

Never mind changing a nappy, I cannot last a whole morning without going for a wee! The toilets are too small to take any children in with you and besides, I wouldn't want to anyway. If I had a baby with me I wouldn't lie it on the floor, even if there was room. How can that be better than leaving it with another childminder?

And what about the playgroup run by the CC, or the majority of nurseries where the children are free to go to the toilet, or to wash their hands whenever they want? Is their independence supposed to be limited because they're not allowed to go by themselves?

I know the EYFS says children must always be within sight or hearing, but you have to wonder if anyone actually thought that through?

sing-low
22-01-2014, 09:25 PM

It's not that I don't go to groups, I'm just going to try not going this week and see if it's better (for the LOs and me). It wasn't just the difficultly of leaving the group but also it clashes with one LOs nap time so we were only able to stay for an hour and then had to race home to get LO to bed. He then didn't sleep for as long as usual. I also felt that I was using too much of the time going places and breaking up their play time. I've been feeling like I keep having to stop play to either go somewhere (group, school run, pre-school pick up) or for nap-time or food. We never seem to have an extended time to play which I think my LOs would really benefit from. Maybe once the nap time changes we'll go back again.

I agree that going to groups is A Good Thing. I only work part-time so LOs are at home with Mum for much of the week. I'm going to ask parents what activities they do when they're not with me (possibly groups) and then try and complement what they do.

I'd be interested to hear what Ofsted have to say about this (and good luck with your inspection!).

Mouse
22-01-2014, 09:47 PM
It's not that I don't go to groups, I'm just going to try not going this week and see if it's better (for the LOs and me). It wasn't just the difficultly of leaving the group but also it clashes with one LOs nap time so we were only able to stay for an hour and then had to race home to get LO to bed. He then didn't sleep for as long as usual. I also felt that I was using too much of the time going places and breaking up their play time. I've been feeling like I keep having to stop play to either go somewhere (group, school run, pre-school pick up) or for nap-time or food. We never seem to have an extended time to play which I think my LOs would really benefit from. Maybe once the nap time changes we'll go back again.

I agree that going to groups is A Good Thing. I only work part-time so LOs are at home with Mum for much of the week. I'm going to ask parents what activities they do when they're not with me (possibly groups) and then try and complement what they do.

I'd be interested to hear what Ofsted have to say about this (and good luck with your inspection!).

I'm pretty much the same as you. All of my mindees are part time. Apart from one of them, the others all attend various other groups with their parents or grandparents, so I don't see a huge need to go very often. I fit our visits around the child who doesn't go to any groups at all, but feel they all really benefit from uninterrupted play at home. To be honest, the group visits are probably more for my benefit!

smurfette
23-01-2014, 09:43 PM
Interesting because that's my Unique selling point! Parents choose me cos I am out and about most days,, we don't have children's centres or childminder groups here so no one I can leave Los with .. I change them before we go and after, the main group I go with has a mat in the main room for changing so that's fine and if I have to take one to loo we all go!