PDA

View Full Version : make your own youghurt.

ja-lula-belli
21-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Hi all I was just looking at the yogurt maker in hobbycraft. Has any one used it? Is it any good? Is it better value in the long run? Is it more healthy than shop bought ?

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

loocyloo
21-01-2014, 07:36 PM
I use the yogurt maker from lakeland. (Not the easyyo)

I use a tbls natural full fat yogurt, a couple of tbls milk powder and litre uht full fat milk.
I've made my own yoghurt for past 5 or 6 years. We add fruit purees or stewed fruit or jam or just a sprinkle of sugar. It takes mindees a while to get used to it as it is obviously not flavoured or as sweet as commercial yogurt.
I think it's a bit cheaper plus I know there are no nasties in it :-)

moggy
21-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Yes, I never buy yogurt and make it a couple of times a week using organic UHT, recipe same as the last post.

I would not recommend any system that requires you to buy their 'sachets'- it is a con! You just need a spoonful of the last batch to make a new batch (or a spoonful from a shop-bought pot of natural yog to start you off). It taste so much better, really mild and creamy and you can add your own healthy flavours to it (mashed fruit, jam, honey etc).

Works out much cheaper compared to buying good-quality/organic yog.

I use a very old 'BEL' maker, you can even use a Thermos to make it in if you warm the milk to the right temperature.

Pixie dust
22-01-2014, 02:29 PM
I have the easiyo system and we all love it here. Some flavours we like more than others. It is so simple to make and have never had a problem with it. Yes you do have to buy the sachets but there are often some good deals around but it is still better than the shop bought stuff.

ja-lula-belli
22-01-2014, 02:53 PM
I have the easiyo system and we all love it here. Some flavours we like more than others. It is so simple to make and have never had a problem with it. Yes you do have to buy the sachets but there are often some good deals around but it is still better than the shop bought stuff.

Ive done a lot of research and found that you dont have to use the sachets even in the easiyo yoghurt maker. I found a blog from someone with a recipe using full fat milk and powder then jist 2 table spoons of the made yoghurt each time for the culture .

Thanks all for your comments. I have bought one as its on offer in hobbycraft at the moment. I am so excited to start using it!

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

maisiemog
22-01-2014, 06:10 PM
I shouldn't have read this thread! Now I want a yogurt maker! I try to make as many things myself as possible to avoid all the nasty additives! Now I want to add yogurt to the list! Is it worth the money? Easy to make? Would I be likely to use it a lot? Very tempting....how long until payday?

funemnx
22-01-2014, 06:17 PM
I shouldn't have read this thread! Now I want a yogurt maker! I try to make as many things myself as possible to avoid all the nasty additives! Now I want to add yogurt to the list! Is it worth the money? Easy to make? Would I be likely to use it a lot? Very tempting....how long until payday?

Lol! I've been looking at them on-line today too... :thumbsup:

ginag
22-01-2014, 06:57 PM
I have never thought of making my own yoghurt but we eat so much of the stuff it sounds like a great idea. Will have to have a go!
Gina xx

Pixie dust
22-01-2014, 08:01 PM
I kept thinking about it for a while as we have a load of kitchen gadgets that get used for a while then get stuffed in to a cupboard then never seen again but I have had the yoghurt maker for 18 months now and we use it every week. We use easiyo which is very simple to use but you do have to buy the sachets but they have all different flavours. (I have just seen on here that you don't need to so going to look in to that) All you do is mix the packet with water and leave it in the maker which is basically like a flask. 10 hours later lovely fresh youghurt. The children love it it keeps for 2 weeks but it never lasts that long in our house:).

maisiemog
22-01-2014, 08:21 PM
I'm buying one on payday! No spare pennies until then! There will probably be more calories in a homemade yogurt than a shop bought one but I like the idea of it!

And I can honestly say that I use all 3 of my electrical gadgets at least once a week, usually more. And given that I like control over what goes in my food I reckon I would use this!

Pixie dust
22-01-2014, 08:40 PM
There will probably be more calories in a homemade yogurt than a shop bought one but I like the idea of it!

Apparently there is less fat in the ones we use not sure about the others. Do your research so you get the best one for you.

maisiemog
23-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Apparently there is less fat in the ones we use not sure about the others. Do your research so you get the best one for you.

Really? Even better! Getting quite excited by the thought now. And even better hubby's staff discount code at amazon came today so it's even cheaper now!

moggy
23-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Really? Even better! Getting quite excited by the thought now. And even better hubby's staff discount code at amazon came today so it's even cheaper now!

If you use UHT to make your own yogurt you can buy skimmed if you want.