PDA

View Full Version : Can i claim for............

Magic
06-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows.........

At the moment i am claiming for my car insurance but i am not sure if i am allowed to? I have not claimed for any other vehicle expenses not even mileage and i do use my vehicle but not often as prefer to walk.

Thanks for the help

Magic xx

berkschick
06-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Hi,

I THINK you are meant to claim so much per mile and that covers petrol, wear and tear, etc but Im not entirly sure as I am a newbie!

Love

Debbie

Tily Bud
06-01-2008, 06:35 PM
hi magic

i use my car for minding and even had to but a 7 seater to fit everyone in but i dont claim my car insurance, never have so i dont know if you can or not x

i do claim mileage at 40p per mile though x it mounts up and i end up claiming around £25 per week with all the school and nursery runs. i have decided that i am going to claim the cost of my service from now on x

cheryl x

nat1664
06-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Good question, Will be good to hear what every one has to say on this, as i have not been putting down my insurance.

Nat x

Pauline
06-01-2008, 07:42 PM
As far as I know it's just the 40p a mile to cover everything, but if you put it down and the tax man accepts it, then go for it!!

fionamal
06-01-2008, 08:27 PM
I was told I could claim Car Insurance as it is Business Insurance to cover the kids. I also put through my service receipts and 1 petrol receipt per month instead of 40p per mile. It works out about the same in the end.

Almost forgot, I also put through the road tax as well.

Spangles
06-01-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't put any petrol down because I'm only going places I would go anyway and I only put down the difference between non-business car insurance and business.

Should I be putting down more as expenses then?

miffy
06-01-2008, 08:56 PM
I don't put any petrol down because I'm only going places I would go anyway and I only put down the difference between non-business car insurance and business.

Should I be putting down more as expenses then?

I don't drive so probably shouldn't be answering this but

Lorri the tax man doesn't know where you were going so if you are taking benjamin and a mindee to nursery or whatever then I'd claim the mileage - anything to avoid paying tax!!!!!

Miffy xx

button68
06-01-2008, 09:09 PM
I am only a newbie - infact not yet registered :blush: However I have just done my ICP and on the final two weeks we have these two people come in presenting Childminding - Loud and Proud. One was an ex-inspector and one was an accountant.

They said you can either claim the mileage or apportion the tax, insurance, service, wear and tear ect .... The accountant said the mileage option was by far the most benefical.

The course they presented was excellent they gave us loads of tips - They were saying that you can easily get a mobile contract for say £15-£20 per month and put it 'through your books' and the tax man will be fine as it is a neccessity (just don't take the p*ss and get an all singing all dancing phone on a £40 pm contract ;) )

He also said yes go shopping and keep a separate receipt for your 'buisness food' but alternatively many tax offices will let you make and allowance of £xx per child/per day for a snack and £xxx per child/per day for a hot meal.

Another 'nugget' the accountant chap gave us was that as childminders we don't need receipts for items under £10. So if we are out at the beach on a hot day and buy mindees all a lovely lolly ice :p then we don't have to hassle the poor man in the lolly-van for a receipt - but may still claim.

I've hunted high and low for my college notes but I fear they were put in the loft in the 'pre-xmas clear up'!!!! :(

I am probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs but I found the info on the course invaluable - just need to find the folder they provided :blush:

Mandy xx

Tily Bud
06-01-2008, 09:48 PM
thats great info mandy x

ajs
06-01-2008, 09:54 PM
i agree with mandy (must be the name)
i was told that if you claim the 40p a mile then you couldn't claim anything else, but you can alwys trey putting it through nd see

if you don't use your car much then cliaming mileage probably won't be as effective for you so claim everything seperately
you can but try

button68
06-01-2008, 10:09 PM
iif you don't use your car much then cliaming mileage probably won't be as effective for you so claim everything seperately
you can but try

Aye ...... but the bloke said that you must apportion the amount of your service, tax, insurance etc... So if you don't use your car much you still can't claim much, iyswim (if you do 12,000 miles a year and only 500 are buisness miles then you can only claim 1/24th of your tax, insurance etc)

Is that as clear a mud :rolleyes:

Mandy xx

manjay
06-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Aye ...... but the bloke said that you must apportion the amount of your service, tax, insurance etc... So if you don't use your car much you still can't claim much, iyswim (if you do 12,000 miles a year and only 500 are buisness miles then you can only claim 1/24th of your tax, insurance etc)

Is that as clear a mud :rolleyes:

Mandy xx

Is doing it this way then counted as claiming capital expenses and then you get into the realms of having to keep full accounts and completing a long tax form!

amanda xx

button68
06-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Is doing it this way then counted as claiming capital expenses and then you get into the realms of having to keep full accounts and completing a long tax form!

amanda xx

Dunno :o I just hung onto his advice that claiming the mileage can't be beat. One student even said what if she bought a car and put the price through the books? He said fine if you ONLY use it for buisness but if you use if for personal use then you have to break it down - and he STILL reckons the mileage option can't be beat!

Mandy xx

Rubybubbles
06-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Mandy some top info there thanks

Rubybubbles
06-01-2008, 11:35 PM
I need a new phone mines about 4 yrs old lol!! but then I won't make £20 in calls for work, oh now I'm confused

Magic
07-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks for everyones info......

I think what i will do is stop claiming for my car insurance and just claim for mileage. As i said before i don't use my car much so i think me claiming for my insurance is abit cheeky really.

Once again thanks

Magic xx:)

Bev
18-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Och i HATE tax and doing the accounts! made a total mess of my first full book and had to do it all again! Ended up paying about £250 tax last week :mad: , Certainly learnt my lesson, i didnt claim enough.
I got a new car, a bigger one so i can fit 3 car seats in the back (you couldnt in my old one) and started off claiming 10% of my monthly repayments, however ive stopped that now, as not sure i was allowed!!

Going off topic a wee bit, i know someone who has their own dancing business, and they claim silly things like her hairdressers appointments ( she has to look good for the class), her dentist fees (for the same reason) etc and she also says the tax man will never check on my business as its not a "big business" so she says to claim EVERYTHING!

Monkey1
19-01-2008, 08:08 PM
I claim the 40p a mile...works out for the better! Usually write off about 60 quid a week x

smartypants
19-01-2008, 09:50 PM
I was told I could claim Car Insurance as it is Business Insurance to cover the kids. I also put through my service receipts and 1 petrol receipt per month instead of 40p per mile. It works out about the same in the end.

Almost forgot, I also put through the road tax as well.

Same here!! Claim insurance, tax, car parts etc

I think it works out about the same in the long run :thumbsup:

Kelly
21-01-2008, 01:28 PM
I have always claimed the Motor Mileage Allowance, when it comes to insurance I think if you use your car ONLY for childminding you could put insurance against your tax return. But I am sure if you can prove that your car insurance cost more because of your business you can claim the difference, so you need to get two quotes one with social, domestic and pleasure and one with business cover, if there is an increase you can prove it therefore can claim.... does that make sense, its the same with household insurance!