PDA

View Full Version : Yet again Childminders being given a bad name by the press

twiggy
21-01-2014, 01:18 PM
I saw this article on my friends Facebook and was sad to see yet again the press are implying that Childminders were involved rather than calling them nursery or pre school staff.

Katie Ann Guttridge, 3, attacked at Leicester nursery by a 2-year-old | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2077039/Katie-Ann-Guttridge-3-attacked-Leicester-nursery-2-year-old.html)

loocyloo
21-01-2014, 01:51 PM
very sad, but also from a couple of years ago.

the only mention I saw of childminders as I skimmed article is that the mother of the child who is harming others is a childminder.

charlottenash
21-01-2014, 01:55 PM
I've read that before, I didn't see it as a blame on childminders to be honest.

Mouse
21-01-2014, 01:55 PM
That is an old article. They were reported at the time, Ofsted visited, but found everything OK. You can easily find their report online.

I don't understand why they called the staff 'childminders', but as it is an old article I'd hope they were better informed now & wouldn't make the same mistake again :rolleyes:

Simona
21-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Old news...I question how the nurseries gave permission to publish the child's 'confidential' accident records?
She had already been named ...that should have been enough in my view.

charlottenash
21-01-2014, 02:44 PM
All it said was the mother of the 'attacker' was a childminder and 'it seems the nursery works closely with the childminder and are afraid to punish the child' what a load of rubbish lol!

Samijanec
21-01-2014, 02:45 PM
It's the dad that mentions childminders, he says when he went to collect the little girl there were about eight childminders in the other room drinking coffee and chatting about the weather and no one watching the kids! :(

Taken from the article..

Mr Guttridge, 32, a property developer and commercial landlord, said: 'Katie is normally such a bubbly little girl but this seems to have frightened her and left her very nervous and scared to be around other children.
'I was horrified that my daughter has been exposed to such violence in a place which should be safe.
'I understand the police can't do anything because of the girl's age but the nursery should expel her.'
Ms Mackow also alleged that the eight childminders at the nursery were ‘more interested in drinking tea’ than caring for the youngsters.
She said: ‘When Lewis went to pick Katie up he saw that six of the eight staff who were on duty were all drinking tea in a side room and chatting about the weather.
‘No one seemed to be looking after the children who were in the main hall.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2077039/Katie-Ann-Guttridge-3-attacked-Leicester-nursery-2-year-old.html#ixzz2r2pGOGuE
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

kellyskidz!
22-01-2014, 09:13 AM
It's the dad that mentions childminders, he says when he went to collect the little girl there were about eight childminders in the other room drinking coffee and chatting about the weather and no one watching the kids! :(

Taken from the article..

Mr Guttridge, 32, a property developer and commercial landlord, said: 'Katie is normally such a bubbly little girl but this seems to have frightened her and left her very nervous and scared to be around other children.
'I was horrified that my daughter has been exposed to such violence in a place which should be safe.
'I understand the police can't do anything because of the girl's age but the nursery should expel her.'
Ms Mackow also alleged that the eight childminders at the nursery were ‘more interested in drinking tea’ than caring for the youngsters.
She said: ‘When Lewis went to pick Katie up he saw that six of the eight staff who were on duty were all drinking tea in a side room and chatting about the weather.
‘No one seemed to be looking after the children who were in the main hall.

Read more: Katie Ann Guttridge, 3, attacked at Leicester nursery by a 2-year-old | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2077039/Katie-Ann-Guttridge-3-attacked-Leicester-nursery-2-year-old.html#ixzz2r2pGOGuE)
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I read that as the nursery staff, not childminders? 6 of the 8 staff, as in the nursery staff, he's probably said childminders in error, as in the ones who mind the children. it happened in a nursery, so it wouldn't have been childminders in charge xx

munch149
22-01-2014, 09:17 AM
It does Ms Mackow also alleged that the eight childminders at the nursery were ‘more interested in drinking tea.

Never mind reread

hectors house
22-01-2014, 09:22 AM
It does Ms Mackow also alleged that the eight childminders at the nursery were ‘more interested in drinking tea.

Never mind reread

Hopefully members of the public only skim read the report as many of us seem to have done and missed the sentence quoted above where it does refer to the nursery staff as childminders.

charlottenash
22-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Yep I never noticed :)

ajc
22-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Old news ???

primula
22-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Old news...I question how the nurseries gave permission to publish the child's 'confidential' accident records?
She had already been named ...that should have been enough in my view.

Exactly! Daily Mail say no more!!