PDA

View Full Version : printers....!!grrr

Bluebell
21-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Our very old and ancient printer gave up the ghost and we bought a new one - cost about £40 - 50 - although I can't remember exactly cos my hubby ordered it. But basically for the money it seemed really good value. It has scanner, photocopy, printer and fax. It also has air print so I can print straight from my i-phone. It also had really good reviews and said it was cost effective for printing.

It has been nothing but a disaster!! It is slow to print, prints multiple copies (like 10 copies of a 30 page document once when left to print) the colours for photos are dark and not true to the actual photo, it ran out of ink quickly which I thought was due to the multiple print error above but I have actually replaced the ink 3 times in the time I have had it (September) I phoned the helpline re the poor standard of printing and that we were going through ink so quickly and they said it was because I had to use their own brand ink cartridges. I bought a black one £25!!! and this was just before Christmas and it has run out already!! I haven't been printing that much over Christmas or since in fact. No learning journeys, no essays, no policies, no parent letters - I am so annoyed!!

Now I've got a list of things to buy (like my pushchair broke) and can't afford to get more ink, or anything else, until the end of the month because of being off over Christmas and having less money, and because Christmas this year seemed really expensive. I've got parents letters, children's ILP's, my register sheet and so on to print off.

I'm wondering if I should pay £25 each for a black and a colour cartridge or look to getting a new printer that is more cost effective!!!? This year I am studying so will have lots to print off, print a lot of paperwork for childminding - parents letters, children's documents and am on the committee of a pre-school so will need forms and so on for that.
I've complained to the company but they just said its not broken and I should have used proper ink.

What do you all use? - mine is a canon MX455. There are so many different types of printers out there! I'd quite like a scanner / photocopier don't need a fax. I always used to print a lot of photos but since using online journals don't need to and for family photos I'm thinking maybe it would be more cost effective to do it through an online company as the cost per print may be more cost effective.

hectors house
21-01-2014, 08:34 AM
I have a brother DCP150C - it's probably been superceded by new models now (it's about 5 years old), it is a combined printer/scanner/copier - I buy cheap ink for it - (Pro jet) get them from the IT Lecturer I used to work with at FE college - only costs £10 for a set of black/blue/yellow/blue and they last me for a couple of months.

We also have a Canon printer in the attic that we gave up using as ink was soooooo expensive!

loocyloo
21-01-2014, 09:12 AM
We have a kodak printer ... scans copies prints and wireless ... It's great ...BUT now, 2 yrs on, even with a brand new black ink, the black is pale and liney. I have to print everything in blue in order to read it!

Dh is, typically, convinced it's something I'm doing or have done! Grrr ...

hectors house
21-01-2014, 09:24 AM
We have a kodak printer ... scans copies prints and wireless ... It's great ...BUT now, 2 yrs on, even with a brand new black ink, the black is pale and liney. I have to print everything in blue in order to read it!

Dh is, typically, convinced it's something I'm doing or have done! Grrr ...

Sounds like your black ink jet on printer is blocked - have you tried doing test pages?

jackie 7
21-01-2014, 10:47 AM
I will need a new printer at some stage as mine I'd 3 years d and starting g to play up. My counter man advised getting one with several different ink cartridges so that you change colour ones less often. I now check the price of ink before buying and will get a more expensive model that takes less expensive ink.

loocyloo
21-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Sounds like your black ink jet on printer is blocked - have you tried doing test pages?

Yep :0 ( several times, it's ok ... But the same thing happens within a couple of pages. I've heard of other people with same problem with kodak. But thank you. Any suggestion is always welcome.

SJ35
21-01-2014, 11:26 AM
I've just bought a brother printer , wireless and it's fab!! I print everything on fast print and the quality is amazing!

The compatible inks for it are £12.99 per pack of 4
X

smurfette
21-01-2014, 11:36 AM
[QUOTE="jackie 7;1335480"]I will need a new printer at some stage as mine I'd 3 years d and starting g to play up. My counter man advised getting one with several different ink cartridges so that you change colour ones less often. I now check the price of ink before buying and will get a more expensive model that takes less expensive ink.[/QUOTE
Problem I had with one of these was I was
Replacing something every week, would replace say the blue one then the yellow one would go! Definitely worth pricing the ink before buying

smurfette
21-01-2014, 11:37 AM
I've just bought a brother printer , wireless and it's fab!! I print everything on fast print and the quality is amazing! The compatible inks for it are £12.99 per pack of 4 X

This sounds good
Would it air print from iPhone?

SJ35
21-01-2014, 11:49 AM
Yes it does :) x

SJ35
21-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Brother DCP-J4110DW All-in-One A3 Inkjet Printer. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9126741.htm?cmpid=APPSOCIAL01
Not sure if it will work? X

SJ35
21-01-2014, 11:52 AM
If link won't work its £79.99 in argos at moment x

smurfette
21-01-2014, 12:07 PM
If link won't work its £79.99 in argos at moment x

Ace thanks!

critch
21-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Brother DCP-J4110DW All-in-One A3 Inkjet Printer. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9126741.htm?cmpid=APPSOCIAL01
Not sure if it will work? X

I have this too, amazing best £100 ish quid ever spent!

Tazmin68
21-01-2014, 01:01 PM
I have one which is a cannon and is currently £39.99 at argos. I am more than happy with it. It's wireless , prints,scans and copies. It has AirPrint so compatible with iPods and iPads

clareelizabeth1
21-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Often you are better off looking at the print cartridge price then look for a printer that will go with that cartridge.

I do some work for a charity and have their very big printer in my house. Had to replace the cartridges at Christmas and it came to £230 per cartridge. So glad it wasn't my bill.

Bluebell
21-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Often you are better off looking at the print cartridge price then look for a printer that will go with that cartridge.

I do some work for a charity and have their very big printer in my house. Had to replace the cartridges at Christmas and it came to £230 per cartridge. So glad it wasn't my bill.

wow thats a huge amount - i would hope you go a long time between having to replace it!!

i agree its a good plan to look at the prices of print cartridges - but its hard to tell how quickly the print cartridge will be used up! we chose ours because it said it was economical printing and for that kind of price we expected a larger print quantity. We also knew we could get cheaper versions - not the named brand - but they didn't work very well and ran out quickly - hence being told by canon we had to use their named brand ones - which worked well but still ran out within 2-3 weeks - and not heavy printing at all!!

Thanks for all the advice - I really like the look of the brother printer that was recomended.