PDA

View Full Version : Advice please regarding child with high temp

Keeley77
20-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Hi,

I had a 3 year old who has been ill over the wknd with a high temp so mum took her to the doctor this morning and the doctor said she seems fine but will do urine test. So the child came to me around 11am after visiting the doctor. By about 12.15 the child's temp was 37.9 I rang mum and gave calpol. She then started to shiver said she was cold, her hands and feet were freezng and she looked terrible took temp about 30 mins after calpol and it had gone up to 38.8 so said that mum should collect as she was very unwell.

Mum agreed and I waited

Mum then called about half an hour later and said she wanted to know how she is and that she couldnt come yet, also that the doctor said she was ok. She asked me to to keep her until dad finished work as it would be nearly her collection time by the time she walked to get her anyway - so i offered to drive her but she declined.

I know that it is ok to take children when they have a cold but if they have a temp shouldn't they stay at home?

I can't beleive that no one would come and collect her!

Also when dad collected at 4pm he said she had a temp of 39.8 in the night?!!

What do you all think? if child has temp tomoz should I refuse to take?

many thanks

line6
20-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Yes refuse. Poor child. I bet they lie to you though and dose her up before she arrives. Stick to your guns and demand someone collects her. Mind you the parents sound really caring so the poor little thing is probably better off with you!

sarah707
20-01-2014, 06:06 PM
My rule is that if a child isn't well enough to join in with the normal hustle and bustle of the day then they need to be at home.

i hope the little one picks up xx

Koala
20-01-2014, 06:10 PM
In my policies I ask that children stay at home if they have a high temperature and return 24hrs after having a regular temperature. If I send them home ill one day - I definitely would not expect to see them the next day but some people need this reiterating.

There is no mistake that she had a high temperature today and as father said last night she had a high temp and obviously they were concerned because they took her to the doctors, even if doctor says she is ok - she obviously isn't - and I would contact parents now to confirm that she will not be in tomorrow otherwise she will be on your doorstep in the morning, possibly spreading whatever it is she is incubating or being ill and you could be faced with a similar situation as today only it could get worse.

dawn100
20-01-2014, 09:24 PM
I am really strict with high temps, if they have a fever parents need to collect ASAP.
As little ones can go downhill so quickly my ds once went from just having a bit of a high temp to on the verge of being admitted to hospital within 5hrs, the only real symptom he had was high temp but made doctors extremely concerned as oxygen levels became very low with respiratory tract infection yet my sil who is a gp had seen him in the morning and wasn't concerned. Doctors can only say how the child is when they see them not how ill they will be later that day.