PDA

View Full Version : over 8's whilst training?

shelli1987
20-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Hi, im new to all of this but I’ve recently decided to start training to become a registered chidminder. I rent a lovely big 3 bed house with a large garden & my lanlord has agreed to let me run a childminding business from home.

I have sent off booking forms for first set of training with my local council in just over a months’ time. I am fully aware it can take 8-10 month sometimes longer before i will become fully registered ( i am hoping to start 1st January 2015 as it also gives me time to sort my house out i want to turn my conservatory/second living room into a play room & finish redecorating the house.

I have looking on Ofsteds website and apparently you don’t need to be registered to mind over 8 year olds & any under 8's as long as its no longer than 2 hours a day.
i was thinking of offering a before & after school care whilst I’m training as i have a 8 year old & do a school run daily. i could also possibly mind an under 8 f its no more than 2 hours per day too.

Does anyone know if there’s any restrictions on doing this? ie can i only look after 1 child under 8 for upto 2 hours per day or could i have 2 or 3 as long as its no longer than 2 hours per day?

Has anyone else done this?

I am fully crb checked & have a forms to prove to parents i have done a first aid course for my last job just over a year ago but they kept the forms but i will do one for my registration soon anyway.

Thank you in advance for all your help. :)

sarah707
20-01-2014, 06:13 PM
This factsheet will give you all the information you need :D

Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - Registration not required (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-registration-not-required)

shelli1987
20-01-2014, 06:36 PM
thank you ive read all of this but what im wondering is on thi sstatement:

2 If you provide care where a child does not stay with you for more than two hours a day, even if your childcare service is open for longer than two hours.

does that mean i can only look after one child under 8 for upto 2 hours as if i am wondering if a more than 1 mum asks if i can pick up there child under 8 and look after them for 1-2 hour after school would that be ok?? all the other statements say child or children this just says child. its not very clear.

Mouse
20-01-2014, 06:57 PM
thank you ive read all of this but what im wondering is on thi sstatement:

2 If you provide care where a child does not stay with you for more than two hours a day, even if your childcare service is open for longer than two hours.

does that mean i can only look after one child under 8 for upto 2 hours as if i am wondering if a more than 1 mum asks if i can pick up there child under 8 and look after them for 1-2 hour after school would that be ok?? all the other statements say child or children this just says child. its not very clear.

As far as I understand it you could have more than one child, as long as each one doesn't stop for more than 2 hours. Of course you would have to let parents know that you're not yet registered, not insured and that parents couldn't claim tax credits to help with childcare costs.

sing-low
20-01-2014, 07:23 PM
I'd also say that if you decide to do this, then make sure that you document the children you care for and especially their hours very carefully. Then you can show that you are sticking to the guidelines and not minding illegally. Otherwise, you risk your future registration.