PDA

View Full Version : nits

mookie
20-01-2014, 12:31 PM
advice please! I will try to not go into too many details but.....nits!
I have a full practice and a group of truly wonderful children. I recently began looking after sisters agexld 18 mts and 8 years.
basically I found nits in the youngest ones hair last month. I had a conversation with her parents who claimed they thought they had got rid of the nits the previous night. I didn't say anything, but I found that hard to believe as honestly, there were 100s in her poor head. The parents also commented that they were sick and tired of being called by their older child's school requesting they collect their child to denit her before returning her to school...
I agreed, with their consent, to help them. I got some special shampoo etc. and did her hair. I told parents that they should now all do their own hair etc.....
soon after another parent approached me and was very upset that she had found nits in her own 2year old daughters hair. she was really upset. basically she said that it was obvious where she had gotten them from as this other child hadnt been here long and was always scratching etc.
I dealt with it and told the other mum wgat to do about nits....but she said that if her child caught tgem again, she would have to think twice before sending her daughter back to me. this upset me as her daughter is gorgeous and here full time.
This morning I found over 15 live lice and loads of eggs in the young sisters head again....I don't know what I should do.....
I have text parents to say again that I have found eggs and live nits but advised her again to do tge whole family asap. Their reply was along the lines of 'well all children get them so there is little we can do'.....
what would you do and advise?

Tazmin68
20-01-2014, 01:39 PM
Under the HPA guidelines you cannot exclude for nits unless infestation. I have had same problem in the past and with them being passed on. I introduced that I would exclude for infestation and untreated headlice. The child who gets lice only attends fir 15 funded hours a week and the little one who caught them is like yours my only full timer so when the older one arrives I now check and comb and parent knows that as we go straight to a group on the two days she attends should I find anything after checking I will take straight back home after group and not take her to my house. So far this threat has worked. You have a duty to protect the other children in your care. You can print off a voucher on the nitty gritty website and take to gp for free prescription for the comb which is brill. I am now in the position that from now until Easter I have the sibling of the lice child attending for 2 year funding so I have both to be strict with because of my other 2 mindees.

Koala
20-01-2014, 01:54 PM
It's funny but I was talking about head lice this morning with my other half and I too raised HPA guidelines about not excluding, however, we both came to the same conclusion that we have every right to exclude anyone for whatever reason if they have an adverse effect on us, our setting or the children attending.

Funded children may be different if you have signed up to other guidelines - authorities differ - but otherwise this is your practice and your guidelines.

I think I would have to consider that the scenario at present is having an adverse effect on the children attending your setting. Good luck :thumbsup: And I'm afraid I have to say I don't blame a parent who would choose to stay away if the problem is not rectified, I think I would too, wouldn't you?

k1rstie
20-01-2014, 02:37 PM
As I had loads of girls, all with different lengths of long hair, I have the rule that hair must always be tried up, not normally a issue during school time, but I will try it up in the holidays if they arrive with it down. I have a big box of new hair bands, and they just choose one.
Due to the amount of long hair, I never play hairdressers and try to discourage role play with hats.

Good luck

little chickee
20-01-2014, 03:10 PM
As this parent is clearly not making any effort to deal with the headlice i would exclude.

Yes headlice are part and parcel of having kids and if treated correctly should not be a problem. All my own 3 boys have had headlice at least a couple of times but if treated corrected they can be erradicated.

If i had your full time parent threatning to leave i would have no choice but to exclude the kids with lice.

15 live lice and lots of eggs is a massive infestation, most cases you find 2 or 3 live lice, 15 or more is a big problem and it does not sound like you will get any support from parent. If they are happy to be full of lice constantly you are fighting a loosing battle.

mookie
20-01-2014, 03:11 PM
Thank you for your honest and helpful replies. my husband and I work together and is our only source of income and you're right, I have to protect all. all the girls do have short hair as they are still babies really so tying hair up can't be done yet.thank the again x

Tazmin68
20-01-2014, 06:30 PM
It's funny but I was talking about head lice this morning with my other half and I too raised HPA guidelines about not excluding, however, we both came to the same conclusion that we have every right to exclude anyone for whatever reason if they have an adverse effect on us, our setting or the children attending. Funded children may be different if you have signed up to other guidelines - authorities differ - but otherwise this is your practice and your guidelines. I think I would have to consider that the scenario at present is having an adverse effect on the children attending your setting. Good luck :thumbsup: And I'm afraid I have to say I don't blame a parent who would choose to stay away if the problem is not rectified, I think I would too, wouldn't you?

As long as all children are treated the same then there can be no argument with regards to funded children ie exclude if necessary.

ivy
20-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Headlice is always a problem , you will always fine that most families will treat as soon as you mention the word but there is always that one family who does nothing .
When children start in my setting i get the parents permission to check their children's hair regularly for headlice . Parents are more than happy for me to do this and inform them of the outcome . We don't get that many cases as i regularly check . I also inform the local playschool and primary school without naming names.

Emra81
20-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Nits are determined little blighters! The parents clearly aren't taking the situation seriously so exclusion seems to be the only way to get the message across that they need to deal with it. Remind them that 1 treatment isn't enough.....just a couple of eggs missed and a week later you've got live guests again then less than a week after that they're laying more eggs at an alarming rate! Regular combing and a second treatment a week after the first is the minimum needed. Here speaks the voice of experience!

mookie
31-01-2014, 03:24 PM
I took everything on board, spoke to parents concerned etc. mum agreed to treat children that night....a couple of days later she had a few again so advised parents to ensure that they retreated the entire household.....she has been off until today....guess what? im so angry but upset for the little girl. so frustrated!!!!!

Koala
31-01-2014, 04:40 PM
That's so unfair - on everyone - What are you going to do now?

supermumy
31-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Sounds like mum isn't combing hair after wards
Or the bits have become used to the not lotion
Mum needs to know that once treatment is done she need to nit comb the eggs out everynight for a good week not just that night of washing hair!

I feel for you :(

serin
01-02-2014, 12:12 AM
Uh now I feel all itchy! :mad:

My son is asleep and I am going straight into his room to check him over. He got nits at 6 months and it was a nightmare. He was infested with nits flying and crawling everywhere and eggs all over. :blush:

Hope its sorted for you soon

k-tots
01-02-2014, 07:15 AM
The parents also need to wash all bedding etc...as well as treat every one....nits can become immune to the same treatment over and over again. ...once gone regular checking a combing through should keep at bay....if the treatment dont work try olive oil and comb through x