PDA

View Full Version : Turning Down Business

Tealady
20-01-2014, 11:14 AM
I have one space to fill, Mon-Wed. I've just had an enquiry for an 8mth old which would fill the gap perfectly.

However, I already have a needy 12mth old non-walker on those days. I therefore don't feel I could meet both childs need very well plus I wouldn't be able to do DS's pre-school drop off and pick up with two non-walkers.

I don't want to sound like a rubbish Childminder that can't cope but I can't say I'm full as I would like to fill the space so need to keep advertising it.

How would you explain it to Mum? It's for a start early March. If it was for May onwards I would have persued it further.

jfradgley1
20-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Can you not use a double buggy for the two non walkers? X

unalindura77
20-01-2014, 11:19 AM
If you definitely don't feel up to it you could say you've thought about it and would be looking for an older child for the moment.

However if I were you, and I have done the same recently, try it out with a double buggy, sometimes it's not as bad as you think. Another thing you could do is a trial and explain to the parent you would like to trial it before committing>

unalindura77
20-01-2014, 11:20 AM
The needy child will have to share you at some point!

JCrakers
20-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Only take on what you think you can manage :D Like the others say, do you have a double buggy for the preschool run? My double nipper is an amazing pushchair which can also fit a buggy board for any other walkers that get tired although I haven't used it in a while as everyone gets used to walking.

If you feel its a safety issue then just tell her you don't want two so close of age. If you feel its a issue of the other child having to share you then you could give it a go and see how it goes.

Do you have any other children or just the 1?

Tealady
20-01-2014, 02:45 PM
I have a double buggy, but it is a side-by-side and the doorway is quite narrow. Buggies then need leaving at the end of a narrow corridor in the changing room as it is to narrow for two way traffic even with a single buggy.

I could carry both the short distance but DS either barges ahead or clings and cries depending on what side of bed he has got out off. He also wouldn't be happy being taken in at the door by a member of staff as he is quite sensitive at the moment about having to do things differently due to the babies I care for.

I think I will just say I am looking for an older child as I have one 12mth boy who has separation anxiety Mon-Wed and two sisters 9mth and 2year 4 months on a Thursday who both have it as well. I could really do with having an older more confident child just for a break!!!!

I think I will just be honest about it all, but I'll phone her rather than mail back. Will probably come across better if we chat about it.

rickysmiths
20-01-2014, 02:51 PM
I have one space to fill, Mon-Wed. I've just had an enquiry for an 8mth old which would fill the gap perfectly.

However, I already have a needy 12mth old non-walker on those days. I therefore don't feel I could meet both childs need very well plus I wouldn't be able to do DS's pre-school drop off and pick up with two non-walkers.

I don't want to sound like a rubbish Childminder that can't cope but I can't say I'm full as I would like to fill the space so need to keep advertising it.

How would you explain it to Mum? It's for a start early March. If it was for May onwards I would have persued it further.

If you think about it you have the Easter break in April and an early BH Mon. Would you not be able to cope for 3 or 4 weeks using a double buggy?

sing-low
20-01-2014, 03:30 PM
I have a similar situation and I don't use a double buggy, I use a single buggy and a backpack. Then I only have to carry one in my arms so I have a hand free to help my DD go into & come out of pre-school. But I do think having two so close to one year old is difficult, not to mention physically tiring.

Mrs Scrubbit
20-01-2014, 03:47 PM
When I had two non walkers ' in the mix' I asked if I could be met at the outer door for a hand over, they were please to help me, perhaps that may be an option for you to consider too xx

Mrs Scrubbit
20-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Sorry .....talking about your pre school problem! xx