PDA

View Full Version : main income family have given notice

Rickers83
20-01-2014, 10:17 AM
This morning my main income family gave notice :0(

thing is I am now in a real predicament as due to ages/days of other lo's I cant take on another full timer
the lo that is leaving is 8, but due to the hours they do here I earn more from them than my all dayer who is 3 days a week plus a few schoolies.

I can only take on an over 8 from my daughters school, likely? No

so now I will be working nearly 50 hours a week for peanuts.

do I cut my losses & go back to working in school for a regular income, so worried about fluctuating monthly income & a £700 a month loss!

charlottenash
20-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Crikey what hours does the 8yo come to you to spend that much?!

Rickers83
20-01-2014, 11:31 AM
6.5 hours a day, before & after school

JCrakers
20-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Its an up and down job isn't it, never stable. :(

That's a lot of money to lose although if you don't have room for another under 3 surely you are earning from being full in the daytime or do you have small children of your own?

:D

Rickers83
20-01-2014, 11:47 AM
I have an 18mnth old myself, I look after another 18mnth old a 4 year old, i have a 5 year old of my own & look after another 5 & 7 year old

so with the days they do my only option is another over 8

hectors house
20-01-2014, 11:50 AM
I would ask the school if you can advertise on their notice board or include an advert in their newsletter. If you are up to your limit of under 8's (including your own children) then I wonder if your income would be more working in a school if you then needed childcare of your own.

Rickers83
20-01-2014, 11:55 AM
School wont let me advertise, I asked when I first started. They said its because if anything happened they would be accountable for recommending me?!
I think they were just worried about competition to their breakfast club! Lol

my mum doesn't work so childcare had never been an issue fir me, luckily :0)

Im just so torn ad I worked so hard & we went without for a year to get me set up, but we cant live on fresh air :0(

Mouse
20-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Why don't you think you'll get any over 8s to look after? I'm sure not all parents want to use a breakfast club.

If school won't let you advertise, what about handing out fliers in the playground?

Rickers83
20-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Just had phonecall from mum, she is leaving her job as of now do lo wont be coming back at all, so no chance for anyone to say goodbye or anything

Im getting my 4 weeks paid notice but just really feel for lo as didn't know whether coming or going half the time & now doesn't even get to say bye to me or my daughter:0(

smurfette
20-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Just had phonecall from mum, she is leaving her job as of now do lo wont be coming back at all, so no chance for anyone to say goodbye or anything Im getting my 4 weeks paid notice but just really feel for lo as didn't know whether coming or going half the time & now doesn't even get to say bye to me or my daughter:0(

That's a bit odd what a shame for all of you including Lo xx

Rickers83
20-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Given the track record of turning up as & wen with no notice for no shows, its no less than i expected, just sad for lo as always seemed to look forward to days when they knew they were coming to me or wen saw it was me picking up in the playground:0(

smurfette
20-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Given the track record of turning up as & wen with no notice for no shows, its no less than i expected, just sad for lo as always seemed to look forward to days when they knew they were coming to me or wen saw it was me picking up in the playground:0(

Odd family altogether! Think the leaflet
Drop outside school is a good idea

Best of luck hope u get sorted soon xx

Mouse
20-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Just had phonecall from mum, she is leaving her job as of now do lo wont be coming back at all, so no chance for anyone to say goodbye or anything

Im getting my 4 weeks paid notice but just really feel for lo as didn't know whether coming or going half the time & now doesn't even get to say bye to me or my daughter:0(

Oh, that is a shame :(

mrs owl
20-01-2014, 05:01 PM

Oh poor you! I've just been through a similar experience and it's horrible. Over the years I've felt pretty desperate when I've lost my main earners I lost 3 kids sept 2012 to school

KatieFS
20-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Well I'm losing a key contract in April so in a similar scary situation come August my term timers might not need me so will be earning nothing in August!!! Eek!!

Going in invest in gold membership and check my on line profiles make sure everything is up to date.

Keep trying with over 8's. I might consider done nursery work??

Tazmin68
20-01-2014, 10:06 PM
I'm lucky we still have family information services in Birmingham so I made sure my details were up to date. I was a member of a network so had link work through children's centres for 12 weeks at 15 hours a week. I am also registered for 2/3 and 4 year old funded places. So that the school is not promoting individual minders we have a poster which lists all 4 of us which school is fine about. I have polo shirts, fleece and jacket which all have my logo on which means I can put it though my books. I have magnetic adverts which go on my car doors as I do use the car for minding. I had a very lean spell from September to November 2012 I only had one child after school and another who only comes during school holidays. I then had a child come to me under 2 year old funding for 15 hours a week, a before and after school child start in the October then another started December for 3 days a week, then in the March a full timer for all 5 days and another for 2 full days. When I have spells of being busy I make a point of putting £50 a week away into premium bonds and use that to dip into when I'm running really low on income. Like at the moment I am putting money away during term time as I have 3 children having the funded 15 hours a week term time only, 1 full timer, 1 child 4 full days, 1 child 1 day a week term time only, 1 x child before and after school term time only, 1 child after school only, I have another child who attends school holidays only.

My full timer, 4 day child and the 1 day child all got my details through childcare.co.uk

mrs owl
21-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Well I'm losing a key contract in April so in a similar scary situation come August my term timers might not need me so will be earning nothing in August!!! Eek!!

Going in invest in gold membership and check my on line profiles make sure everything is up to date.

Keep trying with over 8's. I might consider done nursery work??

Just a thought! I applied for a sustainability grant from the council through the FIS it is a little known pot of money that is used to help childcare settings sustain themselves in hard times this isn't done out of the kindness of the councils heart either! They have to maintain so many childcare places within the borough so lots of cms leaving would effect their funding and status too! I got £500 it's not a fortune but it paid the mortgage one lean month! It wouldn't hurt to enquire