PDA

View Full Version : DM is out dated and should not be used!

EmmaReed84
20-01-2014, 07:01 AM
MIL had DO round on Friday to look through all her paperwork as she has an inspection coming up in the next couple of months.

DO looked through MIL's things and took out the DM and threw it away, saying it was out dated and she should not use this any more.

I know there is the EYO, but I was under the impression, that you could still us DM as well as EYO?

Can someone please advise on this please.

sarah707
20-01-2014, 07:21 AM
DM is still very useful - it gives lots of information about the learning characteristics and the positive relationships and enabling environments sections are great for reference.

Yes EYO is what Ofsted are using during inspections to check we understand development, but DM is good for the rest :D

hectors house
20-01-2014, 07:32 AM
I paid for a printed copy of my Development Matters I would not take kindly to anyone throwing it away! Development Officers should realise they are there for guidance and support rather than act as Ofsted hencemen.

Kiddleywinks
20-01-2014, 07:57 AM
I informed my inspector that although I was using EYO for the children, I was also using DM for guidance for me, she didn't have a problem with that :thumbsup:

FloraDora
20-01-2014, 08:03 AM
At my pre reg visit my inspector sang the praises of its use, like Hector says, for guidance, but said she expected to see EYO being used.
We can use whatever we like to support our decisions in assessment and next step planning, DM is just another resource that is useful alongside all those great Sarah 707 resources, books, the internet etc....

rickysmiths
20-01-2014, 09:52 AM
I'm afraid I would have picked her up and thrown her out if she had done that to my copy.

I am so glad we don't have DOs here and I have never been visited by anyone, they so often have funny ideas.

Simona
20-01-2014, 10:41 AM
What an awful thing to do and another example of how DOs have a mind of their own and each LA continues to do as they please as if the EYFS was not a universal framework to be used similarly in all areas.

I think we have discussed this enough times to know inspectors use EYO to make judgement of outcomes but DM can be used to help plan including the Enabling Environments and Positive Relationships.

I would like to know how a newly registered cm can possibly plan for each child if she has little knowledge of child development and does not use any supporting documents such as DM?
if DM was outdated it would not be still available on the Foundation Years website and we would have been formally informed by the DfE...I question how a development document can be outdated in the first place? should we throw away all the wonderful books by Tina Bruce et al and concentrate on a tick list such as EYO?

I am off to do a training on this this afternoon...will be happy to feedback what they suggest.

unalindura77
20-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Sorry to not know this but what is EYO?

DM is out of date? The development matters of the EYFS book?

Sorry :blush::blush:

hectors house
20-01-2014, 11:37 AM

EYO is Early Years Outcomes - it is available on Foundation stage website - it is basically just the first column of DM which is A Unique Child, it was introduced in about November last year.

Simona
20-01-2014, 11:39 AM

EYO = Early Years Outcome by the DfE
DM = Development Matters

These will be found on the Foundation years website...they compliment the EYFS
Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) | Foundation Years (http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/early-years-foundation-stage-2012/)

Minstrel
20-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the EYO by age please? Or know where I can find one? I'd be very grateful!

Simona
20-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the EYO by age please? Or know where I can find one? I'd be very grateful!

If you click on the Foundation Years website below you will find EYO there...this document is in age phases as is DM

Minstrel
20-01-2014, 12:53 PM
No it's in each area with birth to 60 months under each one. I have my current Dm sorted by age with each area listed underneath, I was looking for something like that. Thanks anyway.

unalindura77
20-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Thank you kindly and forgive me for hijacking!

Simona
20-01-2014, 05:01 PM
I have just done a training today on tracking progress and assessment.
Full room with a mixture of providers...the whole training was based on looking at DM...we even had copies on the table to check and do group work.
EYO were mentioned but not used.
I did ask the consultant what the LA recommendation is and she said use DM for planning and refer to EE and PR but be aware the inspector judge outcomes via the EYO

They will reinforce this in a newsletter to all providers next week

primula
20-01-2014, 05:19 PM

Glad you asked, I didn't know what it meant either!:blush:

sarah707
20-01-2014, 06:10 PM
No it's in each area with birth to 60 months under each one. I have my current Dm sorted by age with each area listed underneath, I was looking for something like that. Thanks anyway.

There are a few different layouts here :D

Early Years Outcomes - Knutsford Childminding (http://www.freewebs.com/sarahnev707/earlyyearsoutcomes.htm)

Minstrel
20-01-2014, 08:10 PM
There are a few different layouts here :D Early Years Outcomes - Knutsford Childminding (http://www.freewebs.com/sarahnev707/earlyyearsoutcomes.htm)

Oh you little star!!!

Thanks very much Sarah :)

lorettacritchet
21-01-2014, 09:59 AM
As always so full of information! thanks Sarah....I am a bit confused though as I got something similar from my local council when the EYFS was revised. I attach a copy of what I have? Isn't this similar? 8111

There are a few different layouts here :D

Early Years Outcomes - Knutsford Childminding (http://www.freewebs.com/sarahnev707/earlyyearsoutcomes.htm)