PDA

View Full Version : When to charge...

KatieFS
19-01-2014, 09:01 PM
In a pickle and not sure what to do!

I've got a lovely relationship with all my parents, one of the mums I help - her lo is in same class as my boy (age 10). She is a pleasure, no trouble and actually quite helpful with the babies.
But, one day school closed early - this was a day I was due to collect at 3.15. I txt and says would she need me to pick up early, she said yes please. So I did. This week she was an hour late due to traffic. So I offered to make tea (as we were all having ours). She was very apologetic etc. as I said the child is no problem, but it is work and not my choice per say to have her!
I would usually charge for this time, the odd 5/10 mins I wouldn't bother unless continued to happen... but once over 15/30 then I think I should charge and usually would.
So Friday she presents me with a bunch of flowers and says thank you for having lo that time when school closed and when I was late. Now not being ungrateful as it is very lovely to get flowers but puts me in position where I think is she assuming I won't be charging as you've given me flowers??
I don't know what to do! Don't want to upset her but she owes me nearly 3 hours now.
What would you do?
My policy is late servals charged at my rate...

funemnx
19-01-2014, 09:06 PM
It's hard isn't it when we find after some time that the line between work and friendly relationships are blurred? In a similar situation, where Mum has given me flowers for being extra flexible I have taken a deep breath and charged anyway. It might seem harsh but we are businesses and parents (on the whole, expect to be charged for hours worked) :thumbsup:

Rick
19-01-2014, 09:06 PM
If a parent is late I charge them for the extra time. If they are going to be very late, so long as they tell me I just charge for the extra. Just put it on the invoice, she can't really argue if you've had the child.

KatieFS
19-01-2014, 09:24 PM
How to do it?!!! Just put it on the invoice..

I feel so bad - why? I keep telling myself I run a business! We are saving for our holidays... You must charge. But get on well with parent and child and she really is no trouble!

The Juggler
19-01-2014, 09:27 PM
i think in the circumstances I'd let it go this once. But next time, add it to the invoice xx

KatieFS
21-01-2014, 09:12 PM
I'm also concerned it's turning into a habit. Ten mins late again today. Each week she is late at least once out of three sessions. I'm going to talk to mum about it tomorrow, I feel I should charge. I charge other families so doesn't feel fair.

Koala
21-01-2014, 09:39 PM
It's a no brainer - charge!

If she was working overtime even though her boss may give her a bottle of wine for getting them out of a pickle or take her out for a drink she would still expect to get paid for it, anybody would.

I would graciously accept the flowers as a thank you for getting her out of a pickle and pop the overtime on the bill, keep things clear and professional otherwise you are making a proverbial rod for your own back and you will be beating yourself with it later, I expect payment for my services in MONEY, not flowers, chocolates, bottle tops or old boots - non of these pay my bills.. :thumbsup: Man up :thumbsup: it will make life easier in the long run. And don't feel guilty about charging because child is a delight, we get plenty of children who wee really deserve double, tripple or even quadrouple fees :laughing: :laughing: but we don't charge according to how nice they are, otherwise we'd be rolling in it :D

unalindura77
22-01-2014, 08:09 AM
You could do as someone else on here suggested to me, put in the late fee on invoice. Then minus it and say, as it was a one off I didn't charge.

Then she'll know next time she has to!

KatieFS
24-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Koala yes i wish sometimes i could double/triple the fee!
I decided to charge, as have other families who I do and have charged late collections for. I did not want a situation where one mum finds out I have charged her and not others, it just didn't feel fair either and I don't feel comfortable with the situation.
As much as I love the family - I do feel it is starting to be a habit of them being a few minutes late regularly. An hour is a long time and until the child goes I am still working. So I talked to mum and explained I would be charging - that time over I would usually charge and hope she understands. She was fine about it, although I do think she was hoping the flowers might have been enough!
I like to be honest with people and I am running a business too.
Thank you all great as usual xx