PDA

View Full Version : development advice please.

julie w
19-01-2014, 12:34 PM
I mind 3 little girls all of whom have just turned 3. One of the girls 'B', has trouble retaining information and I was hoping that someone may have some ideas they could share for activities I can do with her as I've run out of ideas. An example. We went to a farm a few weeks ago. We fed a cow. I asked the children what animal it was. First 2 girls immediately answered 'a cow' B thought then copied 'cow' . We went to the pigs and I asked what animal it was, B said 'cow'. I said it was a pig. Then goats, B said 'pig'. She recognised a cat running past. She is the same at home and just plucks an answer out of thin airif I ask a question. I asked her how old she was and she replied 'J*** L***' (gave me her brothers name). She gives any answer to a question because it is 'an answer' no matter how basic the question. If anyone can give me some activity and next steps ideas I could do with her I would be most grateful. Thank you.

The Juggler
19-01-2014, 12:52 PM
i had a little girl like this. she was turning 4 when I took her on. She'd ask me same questions over and over, like where are we going? and would struggle to find words for things like finger and vest and point to things.

Sometimes she knew the answers so if she asked me a second time 'where are we going' if I said 'where did N say we were going?' often she could remember and tell me.

I did have concerns and later at school (age 6) she was diagnosed with sensory processing disorder. Me and the family got a referral to paediatrician who spent an hour with her and said she was fine! :panic: So too many things going on and she'd zone out and not be able to concentrate - hence the lack of memory recall. She would fall over and bump into things with very little reactions at all. Once she was crossing a climbing frame but her attention was taken by something across the park, she forgot what she was doing, let go and fell 4 feet to the ground and didn't even cry! If she hugged another child it would be so hard, they'd both fall to the ground.

I'd keep and eye and raise concerns with mum. Is your LO clumsy or have lack of reactions when hurt?

sarah707
19-01-2014, 06:58 PM
Repetition is important for her - focussing on one thing and doing things in different ways - so she learns what a cow is for example, then what a pig is. It sounds like she does not retain new information - has this been flagged up with the health visitor for further advice? xx