PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

cupcakencookie
19-01-2014, 09:21 AM
I've had an enquiry from a parent for a 3 year old to take and collect from nursery and have on certain afternoons when the nursery is closed. The nursery is open 9-3 3 days a week and 9-12 the other 2 days and the parents work shifts so won't need me everyday but the days will vary from week to week. The problem is I have no idea what to charge! I currently only have one mindee during the day (age 2) and my own ds (age 4) so this child would fit in well agewise with my current children and I would like to take them on if possible as I don't like letting people down and also the nursery recommended me (which I was really touched about) and the child would have to go to another private nursery if I can't help as there are no other childminders available in the area. I already take my ds to the nursery 3 days so would be going there anyway those days (until he leaves in July) but the other days it is a good 20mins walk each way. Would you charge for the the travelling time and / or the time the child is in nursery and / or the days they don't need me? I don't think parents would be happy paying me and a nursery especially if I've not even got the child with me and I would feel really awkward / greedy asking them to but I am also aware that this is my only early years vacancy and the child would be taking a potential full time place as I wouldn't be able to fill the other hours (although this is the first early years enquiry I've had in nearly a year)... Argghh!!! Dont' know what to do!!!:( Thank you in advance for any advice..

Koala
19-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Firstly don't feel guilty about letting folk down, you'r not, their situation is not your responsibility.

In effect, from what I understand, the parents need a full time space to be able to access because of their shift patterns and the nursery they use has restricted hours (both issues are not your problem, their choice, their issue). So they will have to suck up and pay up, imo. As you are eager to do it and it will fit in at the moment I would consider doing it but it has to be worth while and not p you off.

I would charge a full time space at 100% and then deduct 50% on the FULL days I wasn't needed. If they need you on all five days you can't get work elsewhere - it really is simple and you are giving them 50% discount on days they don't need you but from what I envisage they want you all 5 day's. Another private nursery would not save a place without full payment.

You can of course rip yourself off and just charge when you have the child over the week, the parents would love this but it would be a recipe for disaster imo, but if your happy to do it that's your business but when its raining, snowing, blowing a gail and your having to treck out for 40 mins round trip twice a day with another lo in tow just remember it's worth £3? :D

Think about whether it is worth it to you and whether it will fit in, very carefully. Good luck. :thumbsup:

loocyloo
19-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Could you think about the minimum you were prepared to earn for this space and either offer it as a set fee for X hours a week and then charge for additional hours or charge a set fee for the week regardless of what hours are used.
Good luck x

cupcakencookie
19-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Thank you so much for your replies and good advice - I feel alot more confident about meeting the parents on Friday and will explain that they will have to pay 50% retainer for me to keep the space... Will let you know how it goes...what would I do without this forum and its wonderful members!