PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a childminder

amn1983
18-01-2014, 08:43 PM
Hello everyone.

I currently work as a nanny, however my job will come to an end next year as both children will be at secondary school and the hours they will need me for will not pay enough, so I'm looking in to childminding.

I have a 3 year old and I'm planning another baby so nannying probably isn't an option any more.

I just wondered if anyone could tell me how to get started and what it all involves - eg changes I'll have to make to my house, how much space I'll need, planning and paper work, ofsted etc

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Ali

Rick
18-01-2014, 08:48 PM
Hi and welcome :waving:

Have a look at this thread which will tell you more

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder.html

tulip0803
18-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Hi Ali

MTK has pointed you in the right direction.

Your house is probably child safe as you have a 3 year old. You may need to add some minor safety stuff and buy some extra stuff (like a double buggy) but that is not needed until you have a child to mind. The LA will point you in the direction of the courses you need.

Depending on the space you have a childminder can care for 6 children under 8 years, this includes your own children so at the moment you can have 5 children under 8 and when you have a baby this will reduce to 4 children under 8 years. Only 3 of the children can be under 5 years.

Depending on your area it can take anything from 3 months to a year to register so it would be best to look into it sooner rather than later.

amn1983
18-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Ok fab, thanks for responding, does anyone have any advise on further qualifications? I have the CACHE diploma in childcare and education, but that was 12 years so was thinking of refreshing things a little!