PDA

View Full Version : Advice badly needed!

Jayse74
17-01-2014, 05:37 PM
We really need some advice about something that is going to affect us in a big way!

Regarding before and after school children.

A: Terminate every single contract with immediate effect for personal reasons!

B: Carry on knowing that all school parents will eventually run to the new breakfast and after school club which is coming to the school. Also possibly them not paying the 4weeks notice by ignoring the terms of contract.

We envisage loosing 95% of them soon or at least in September.

We will retain our young EY's. This will sustain only my partner for work unless I possibly move from just an assistant up to regged status.

Mouse
17-01-2014, 05:41 PM
I'm not quite sure what you're asking?

Are you saying you need to give notice for personal reasons? Or are you saying you want to give notice in anticipation of parents leaving to go to the before-afterschool club?

Tealady
17-01-2014, 05:55 PM
If you are terminating, pre-empting a mass exedous as it frees you up to look for other work then do so.

If you are doing it to get in first then hold fire. Not all parents like the idea of their child being in school from early morning to evening. Some children will not suit a big setting, especially if they are quite young and their are lots of big kids. Also you may offer longer hours that parents need and maybe a better tea.

tulip0803
17-01-2014, 06:01 PM
I don't try to compete with the breakfast club at my school - it's free it opens at 8am - I send my DD2 as DD1 has to be taken to village to get high school bus at 8 - it means I don't have to do 2 school runs in the morning:).

This school does not have after school club but there was one where I used to live - I was full of afterschool children:) the parents preferred my setting to the bustle of the afterschool club:thumbsup: (and I cost a bit more!)

k1rstie
17-01-2014, 06:03 PM
Our local after school club runs until 6.00. Large fines if the parents are a few minutes late.
If a parent needed an early start time or a regular pick up at 6.15, the school club would not be practical.
Are you able to offer slightly longer opening times, this might be a huge selling point for your setting.

Think positively, look at their literature if possible, think about your opening times! 15 minutes either way could be your clincher!

loocyloo
17-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Our local after school club runs until 6.00. Large fines if the parents are a few minutes late.
If a parent needed an early start time or a regular pick up at 6.15, the school club would not be practical.
Are you able to offer slightly longer opening times, this might be a huge selling point for your setting.

Think positively, look at their literature if possible, think about your opening times! 15 minutes either way could be your clincher!

Good idea. Plus my schoolies parents like the fact that the children get a proper meal, not spaghetti on toast.

Mine also like it being calmer and quieter after school

Jayse74
17-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Thank you for the advice :)

I am going to sit with the wife now and have a lazy evening lol

I forgot to mention, not only are we going to loose out but there are a few nurseries who pickup as well so I guess they will take a hit. What I am unhappy about is the miss-informing of people that there is no or very little childcare in the area, when there is clearly quite a good selection of choice for parents!

Something I cannot work out and it concerns me! It appears they want people to volunteer to run it and it is ok to be unqualified!

Sure I read something along these lines that they can? bit unfair imho!

tigwig
17-01-2014, 10:47 PM
I would chill out lol and try not to worry. You dont know for sure that your parents will take their kids out. I currently care for 3 siblings. I initially took on the youngest 2 and realised the 5yr old was supposed to be going to after school club as I wasnt picking up at his school. I ended up asking my cm friend to get my own dd so I could go to the different school but in order to make this work for me I had to charge nearly 3x the amount the after school club were (not hard to do as it was SO cheap) Mum and dad were so grateful I offered money was not an issue, they just wanted all 3 to be happy together in a homely environment and have the convenience of collections in one place! So dont give up hope.