PDA

View Full Version : Am I Mad!!!

MAWI
17-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Hello All

I have not really been on here for quite some time, although I have lurked:)

I gave up CM in August 2012, but never surrendered my registration. I have had time off for family reasons and then also went to work in a Nursery. I sold all my resources... Absolutely everything!

Well now....I'm Back. Ive decided I miss CM and I am going to start all over again in a few weeks.

My house is so much smaller than my last one. I used to have dedicated extension playroom, huge garden and dining room. I now only have the living room so need to be very creative with space!!

So apologies in advance for all the questions.

Mouse
17-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Hello and welcome back!

I started off childminding in a very small house, but managed. Like you say, you get to be very creative with the space you have.

Knowing what I know now, if I was to go back to the beginning and start all over again, I certainly wouldn't by half of the resources I have bought over the years. In fact, I probably wouldn't buy 80% of it! What I like to do now is scour the carboot sales for resources (not just toys, but all sorts of things like wooden bowls etc), then when the children have finished with them I either sell them on or give them to the charity shop. I have so many fewer resources, but the children certainly don't miss out :thumbsup:

bunyip
17-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Hi Mawi :waving:

Welcome back.

In answer to the question, yes - you are mad. It's not actually a regulatory requirement, it just goes with the job. :D

MAWI
17-01-2014, 05:23 PM
I like your thinking Mouse. I think that's how I will have to play it. I'm not filling walls with posters or pictures either! Will mAke picture books for children to select different toys too I think as I can't have them all out at once.

I want to use Wicker baskets instead of Plastic ones this time around. How does that go down with Ofsted because they are not clear? Anyone know.

MAWI
17-01-2014, 05:24 PM
OHHH you have a like Button now just like FB. Mucho excited by that (it doesn't take much)

Your are right Bunyip...it helps to be Mad.

Mouse
17-01-2014, 05:34 PM
I like your thinking Mouse. I think that's how I will have to play it. I'm not filling walls with posters or pictures either! Will mAke picture books for children to select different toys too I think as I can't have them all out at once.

I want to use Wicker baskets instead of Plastic ones this time around. How does that go down with Ofsted because they are not clear? Anyone know.

I don't have any plastic boxes. Mine are all wicker or fabric. They don't have lids on and are on low level shelves so the children can see what's in them. Apart from that, they soon get to know what's in each box. I don't think Ofsted give children enough credit for being able to remember what's in which box :rolleyes:

bunyip
17-01-2014, 06:49 PM
I don't have any plastic boxes. Mine are all wicker or fabric. They don't have lids on and are on low level shelves so the children can see what's in them. Apart from that, they soon get to know what's in each box. I don't think Ofsted give children enough credit for being able to remember what's in which box :rolleyes:

One night I'm planning to break into Ofsted HQ just to see if all the office drawers and cabinets are labelled with little pictures of pencils, paper clips, scissors (blunt-ended ones, of course), etc. :rolleyes:

Wanna join..........? :D

Mouse
17-01-2014, 06:53 PM
One night I'm planning to break into Ofsted HQ just to see if all the office drawers and cabinets are labelled with little pictures of pencils, paper clips, scissors (blunt-ended ones, of course), etc. :rolleyes:

Wanna join..........? :D

:laughing::laughing:

And check if they all have individual handtowels in the bathroom :p

Count me in :D

bunyip
17-01-2014, 08:41 PM

And check if they all have individual handtowels in the bathroom :p

Count me in :D

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

We could fill the staff car park with windmills...............:D

(Btw, I loved your post on that subject this week. You were spot on and I too am sick of CMs taking such suggestions out of context.)

Mouse
17-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Now I will admit that I do have windmills in my garden.

But I had them long before they became Ofsted's latest 'must have'. I'm tempted to get rid of them now out of sheer pig-headedness and a desire not to conform :laughing:

MAWI
17-01-2014, 09:47 PM

But I had them long before they became Ofsted's latest 'must have'. I'm tempted to get rid of them now out of sheer pig-headedness and a desire not to conform :laughing:

Windmills??? I've been out the loop too long. What have I missed. I take it this is something new OFSTED suggest is a must have, lol.

tigwig
17-01-2014, 10:39 PM
Lol this thread is hilarious! ! Im in with the breaking into ofsted :)

tigwig
17-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Sorry forgot to say welcome to MAWI!

Maza
18-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Welcome Mawi.
Now, back to windmills. I actually refuse to have them because I want my garden to be natural in terms of colours and materials - I have enough bold coloured plastic stuff everywhere else.

Whicker baskets sound lovely Mawi and in my opinion are a lot calmer on the eye than see through plastic boxes. As long as your toys are age appropriate and organised in a way that allows the children to self select then Ofsted will give you credit for it.

I don't have a playroom either. My certificates are kept in my file and I just have my files open on a table next to the register - so yes, they are on display for all parents to see but they are not on he wall. Ofsted were fine with this. x

bunyip
20-01-2014, 08:33 AM

I had windmills in my garden a few weeks ago. Then came the storms and I suspect they're now somewhere in the next street. :(

Oh well, if Ofsted turn up asking about windmills, I'll just have to explain. Anyway, I can tell them we generate all our electricity by giving the lo's a run on the treadmill for a few hours. :D

jackie 7
20-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Now I have just had a cunning plan. We should all sent e t a windmill. Just to prepare her in case ofsted visit her as she works in early years.

bunyip
20-01-2014, 09:41 AM
Now, if Ofsted saw this Children's favourite Windy Miller is drunk on Camberwick Green (no spoof) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d27hPy38EyI) maybe they'd just put the whole windmill thing to bed. :D

FloraDora
20-01-2014, 12:11 PM
In the process of re thinking my 'print in the environment' situation:
not sure whether to use the Scottish or Irish spelling of Whisky on the drinks cupboard as I have ancestors in both.

Mouse
20-01-2014, 12:36 PM
not sure whether to use the Scottish or Irish spelling of Whisky on the drinks cupboard as I have ancestors in both.

mama2three
20-01-2014, 05:04 PM

If you insist on having ancestors in your cupboards , Im not sure , but they probably need a dbs check !

loocyloo
20-01-2014, 05:24 PM
WELCOME HOME MAWI!

xxx

MAWI
20-01-2014, 05:32 PM
WELCOME HOME MAWI!

xxx

Thank you. I am currently working in a Nursery, so Ive got to see the other side so to speak. I cannot wait to leave, tell them where to stick this week and start CM again(even though I have only one child signed up and no resources yet, lol)

Grass was definitely not greener in my case and I was shocked at some of the working practices I have witnessed. However I have loved having the Nursery experience as I can understand their constraints and good/bad points now. :)

Rubybubbles
20-01-2014, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE="MAWI;1335284"] Thank you. I am currently working in a Nursery, so Ive got to see the other side so to speak. I cannot wait to leave, tell them where to stick this week and start CM again(even though I have only one child signed up and no resources yet, lol) Grass was definitely not greener in my case and I was shocked at some of the working practices I have witnessed. However I have loved having the Nursery experience as I can understand their constraints and good/bad points now. :)[/QUOTE

Welcome :-)

I left did 6months as room leader/third in charge and missed childminding so much!! But I held on to everything! I think if I was re-starting I would buy lots of natural holistic resources, I am slowly replacing but cost is an issue and they do like some things. Happy land, being the most favourite.

X

MAWI
20-01-2014, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE="MAWI;1335284"]
Welcome :-)

I left did 6months as room leader/third in charge and missed childminding so much!! But I held on to everything! I think if I was re-starting I would buy lots of natural holistic resources, I am slowly replacing but cost is an issue and they do like some things. Happy land, being the most favourite.

X

Your story sounds similar to mine Rubybubbles, apart from I literally have nothing and starting all over!! Nursery obviously didnt agree with you either. I think I will get Happyland as a must. I dont have a playroom this time round and dont want to look like a nursery when the children go home, so looking into options such as wicker storage etc.. Thanks for the tip of Natural holistic resources. Do you know a good and cheap website by any chance?? Im not going down the route of having everything this time as I simply do not have the space

Rubybubbles
22-01-2014, 10:55 PM
To be honest I go onto Pinterest a lot and look on there under Montessori, no time for flash cards ect. Lots of homemade ideas do cheaper! I would love to afford community playthings though (they have web page)