PDA

View Full Version : Should she sign a contract now?

JCrakers
17-01-2014, 12:18 PM
I've been doing this for 6.5yrs so you would think I would be able to answer my own question by now...lol

I used to look after 2 siblings for 18months (2.5yrs and 5yrs) but they stopped coming in July as Mum was due to have a baby in Sept. She's a teacher so only works Sept-July. She always said that they wanted to come back so I looked at it as a break and they would return a year later.
From past experience I said I couldn't keep places open for a year so Mum said she would have to hope that I had space. :D

Baby was born in Sept and Mum asked me what days I had available in Nov, I gave her the days as I have two children leaving in August so timing was fantastic, she was so pleased that I had the space and I was under the impression that she would be going back to work.
Then I spoke to her yesterday and it sounded like she wasn't 100% sure she was going back. She said she would love to stay at home but money may be a problem so she may have to go back. Then she added that she needed to speak to work about what days they would need her.

So...I was a bit taken aback.....do I get a contract together now? I've already turned down one family for her..... I swear I wouldn't do it again.

I know I should just take families that ring and forget that she's not made her mind up yet. What do you all do in a situation like this? I feel a contract is too early (8 months ahead) but I'm getting enquiries that I could be turning down.

lilac_dragon
17-01-2014, 12:44 PM
I saved spaces for 2 children before and after schoolx5 days a week for a friend I'd childminded for in the past. Total of 5 hours per day per child = 25 hours each pw.
I turned away work for the 6 months before they started because Mum and I had discussions on a weekly basis about them coming so all seemed secure.
1 week before they started she came to sign the contracts and decided she only needed after school and for only 4 days not five, so only 8 hours each pw.
Drastic cut in the wages I was expecting!!!
I didn't charge a retainer as we knew each other so well - I thought.
Would it work for you to charge a retainer? Half fee or something?

JCrakers
17-01-2014, 12:44 PM
How spooky....had an enquiry just 5mins after I wrote this

Ive texted Mum to get her to let me know what shes doing.

I knew I would answer my own question :laughing:

ziggy
17-01-2014, 02:08 PM
I found out the hard way recently not to rely on parents. Teacher who had baby in March was going back to work September then decided to leave it till January. Found girl to come to house to have all 3 children, so I have lost over £1000 a month. Wont ever do it again. If someone comes along and wants place now then I would offer it.