PDA

View Full Version : 2yo sleeping issues

Mrsh3103
17-01-2014, 09:12 AM
Mum of 2yo just asked me to try and stop lo from having a daytime nap because he isn't sleeping properly at night.
I said I wouldn't put him down for a nap unless he was obviously tired.

I know it's important for young children to have their naps and not having them can actually make night time sleeping worse. Does anyone have anything or know of any websites that I could print off and give to mum?

tulip0803
17-01-2014, 09:18 AM
I had this request last week by a mum of a 2 year old after one disturbed eve/night - I only have her til 3 so kept her going and handed her back. Yesterday Mum said she had been so terrible in the afternoons/evenings/nights could I give her a nap again :rolleyes: lasted a week. I knew it would change again for the reasons you said.

Sorry don't have any info would be interested for next time

AliceK
17-01-2014, 09:26 AM
In my experience a 2yr old which the parent is having problems getting to go to bed at night needs to look closer to home and how the childs bedtime routine is. I can virtually guarantee that every 2 yr old I have had has a parent asking me the exact same thing, to try and not let them nap during the day. Sometimes when speaking to the parent more I can see the reason as to what the problem is. One time a LO had just moved into a bed from a cot and the parents wondered why she was in and out of bed running around upstairs and not going to sleep!!!! They just assumed she didn;t need a nap in the day anymore. I have 2 x 2yr olds with me currently and both parents have asked me not to let them sleep. I have told them I am not allowed to withhold sleep but I will try and limit it. So now I have 2 x 2yr olds who I have to wake up when they are not ready and then put up with the bad moods and fall out for the rest of the afternoon because they are still tired :angry:. Sometimes one of them doesn't come here until after lunch, she has not been allowed a sleep at home and so she falls asleep in the buggy on the school run at 3pm. I know as a parent I would prefer my child to have a sleep earlier rather than that late in the day but what can I do, she's so tired and I can't stop a child from sleeping if they really want to.
Rant over lol

xxxx

Simona
17-01-2014, 09:51 AM
This may help

Midday naps may boost toddlers (http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/09September/Pages/Midday-naps-may-boost-toddlers-memory-skills.aspx)

In my experience parents stop children from sleeping because it is more convenient for them at night so the child goes off to sleep quickly...unfortunately there is no evidence that a nap in the afternoon stops children going to sleep at night...none

it is impossible to keep children awake and I have always refused to literally stop them doing so...it is not healthy in my view and hard to do ...also tired children get very upset and can result in tantrums

tulip0803
17-01-2014, 10:03 AM
This may help

Midday naps may boost toddlers (http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/09September/Pages/Midday-naps-may-boost-toddlers-memory-skills.aspx)

In my experience parents stop children from sleeping because it is more convenient for them at night so the child goes off to sleep quickly...unfortunately there is no evidence that a nap in the afternoon stops children going to sleep at night...none

it is impossible to keep children awake and I have always refused to literally stop them doing so...it is not healthy in my view and hard to do ...also tired children get very upset and can result in tantrums

I agree totally - LO always with me slept 1330-1430 ish so with a 3pm pick-up Mum needed to see that the nap is not the problem, also I knew that she would drop off on way home so Mum would know she needed it. One day on pick-up she was asleep as she could not stay awake and I had told mum I would not stop her if she needed it. Mum now understands LO needs sleep as being here doing all that we do is different to being at home pottering and watching TV. Took Mum 4 days to realise

I would have refused completely with my other 2 x 2 year olds that come all day for breakfast til dinner time.

KatieFS
17-01-2014, 11:41 AM
All the 2 year olds I've looked after be it childminder kids or family need a sleep until at least 3 yo, some still nap until reception year..
If the lo don't sleep in the afternoon or don't sleep enough, usually affects them in the later part of the day, they get ratty emotional and short tempered.
I don't mind trying something for a few days but if negatively affects their behaviour and affects others then I wouldn't continue. Id make it clear in diary what happened etc so it's clear to parents. Also I wouldn't stop a child sleeping - some when they are tired just fall asleep on the floor or sofa or in buggy so would let them nap I'm that situation

Mrsh3103
17-01-2014, 02:09 PM
After lunch instead of laying him down fpr a nap I got some happyland out for him to play with quietly while I cleared up and put 1yo to bed.
20mins after he noramlly goes for a nap he was face 1st snoring into a heap of happyland people.
I moved him onto one of the sleep mats and after 30 mins I tried to wake him. He was having none of it and just cried so I decided to leave him to wake on his own...... 1.5hrs later he's awake and full of beans!
Now my dilema... should I be honest and say how long he had or should I say he fell asleep in the middle of playing so I let him have a little nap and hope she doesn't ask how long exactly

Christi
17-01-2014, 02:20 PM
After lunch instead of laying him down fpr a nap I got some happyland out for him to play with quietly while I cleared up and put 1yo to bed.
20mins after he noramlly goes for a nap he was face 1st snoring into a heap of happyland people.
I moved him onto one of the sleep mats and after 30 mins I tried to wake him. He was having none of it and just cried so I decided to leave him to wake on his own...... 1.5hrs later he's awake and full of beans!
Now my dilema... should I be honest and say how long he had or should I say he fell asleep in the middle of playing so I let him have a little nap and hope she doesn't ask how long exactly

I'd go for the latter, lays more emphasis on how much he needed it! Did you get a face plant photo to show her?

KatieFS
17-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Yes hope you got a picture.

Be honest, a big sleep too!

tori4
17-01-2014, 04:44 PM
I had one parent day same thing - again can work out from conversations it's a disorganised bedtime routine mummy's bed one night sofa the next and then wonders why he won't sleep in own bed on the 3rd night.

The other day she was out all weekend - work and night out ( not a problem) he had spent one night and full day a daddy's then grandma had him hadn't seen mum all weekend.

Mum wonder why he spent all Monday night calling for her and wouldn't sleep without her in the room.....

Anyway on a positive - the sleeplady.com is fab a bit American in parts but gd info inc numbers of hours to sleep and interesting the changes at 2ys and mid teens too very interesting .

I will not with hold sleep - I for one would love a day time nap ;-))

tori4
17-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Here is a link

http://www.sleeplady.com/toddler-sleep-problems/2-year-old-sleep-tips/

2yrs need 12 hours aday with 10-11.5 at night and between 1-2.5 in the day

But she explains all the physic be hide it too child beginning to challenge etc

very interesting I think she covers all ages too xT

watford wizz
17-01-2014, 05:36 PM
It's against the European rights of the Child to stop a child sleeping, if they need to sleep they need to sleep. I try a compromise that I will try and wake them after an agreed time but they don't always want to and I don't force them.