PDA

View Full Version : Preparing children for school

Starfish007
16-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Hi Guys, I mind a 3 1/2 year old boy who will be starting school in Sept. Im worried that he wont have some of the basis skills that LO's will need, such as dressing, undressing toilet visits etc. He always wears lace up fashion trainers which he cant even get on his feet nevermind tie the laces, he also cannot get his coat on by himself. Toilet visit aren't too bad although I do need to remind him to point his little friend into the toilet, theres been many spillages on the floor. I have also asked Mummy to please not send him in skinny jeans, explaining why elasticated waists are much easier for him to develop his independence.

I am worried that neither me or his parents are able to prepare him fully for school. I feel that I need to bring this up with Mummy but how can I word it without offending her, she seems quite fashion conscious and I don't think she will want him in Velcro trainers!! Advice would be much appreciated x

FloraDora
16-01-2014, 08:12 PM
You could always ask her to come for a chat about school preparation, be casual, as if this is what you always do when children reach this stage. Then perhaps prepare a 'school readiness' chart and follow this, talking about what you and she can do to support and prepare him. Start with things you know he is ready for so it is positive then move towards the things you are concerned about - does the nursery class wear a uniform? ....you could use this way in to talk about his clothes, then slip in how difficult it is for him to be independent and what a pickle he will be in if you both don't help him become a little more independent now. Set up a plan of things you both need to do , but keep it all chatty and she won't take offence ..we hope?

Good luck.

Starfish007
16-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Great advice thank you xx

moggy
16-01-2014, 08:22 PM
The school might have a list of things they expect the children to be able to do (ours gave us a list) so that could be a starting point.

Shoes- if he'll be in regular black 'school uniform' shoes they are generally all Velcro anyway. In the summer you could suggest he comes in his new school shoes to 'wear them in' and then he can practice getting them on and off.

Also, nearly 8mths is a looong time for a 3 yr old, there is a lot of learning and development time between then and now so I wouldn't worry too much yet- but good to be starting the process.

And as for wet toilet floors... well my sons are nearly 7 and 9 and they still manage to miss sometimes! :panic:

charlottenash
16-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Do u have any old jackets and shoes roughly his size? It could become a special game. They do this at my sons school (reception, aged 5 and he doesn't do everything perfect especially wiping his bum so don't worry too much!). Xx

Simona
16-01-2014, 10:52 PM
Mmmm...preparing children for school ...or should it be schools ready for children?

Early entry into formal schooling means children are being pushed into milestones they are not developmentally ready to achieve...in turn this sets them up to failure and being labelled

We should pause and wonder if our 2 year olds...or even the 3 and 4 year olds... will be ready for school and whether the school will cater to their emerging skills and needs in a formal environment with the same care we would afford them
I have witnessed appalling examples of children going to school confident only to regress because their individual needs were not met

I wonder if we will stand up against the madness that Truss et al are so busy selling that school from 8-6pm is best for such young and vulnerable children? so very sad if we let it happen

MessybutHappy
17-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Remember too that the physical development aspects of school readiness are only one area, your little man maybe the one who already knows how to sit quietly for register, or is happy to attend in a line and take his turn, or dive in and start playing when he enters the class room, and many children are totally unable to do this!

bunyip
17-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Simona's right. They aren't ever ready for school and school is never ready for them. The expectations are way beyond their abilities.

The much-vaunted aim of "school readiness" is really about making them look ready: ie. they can sit passively in inappropriate 'circle times' and soak up as much social control as society deems fit to bind them with.

As Rodgers & Hammerstein said, "You've got to be carefully taught."

...... or perhaps just another brick in the wall. :(