PDA

View Full Version : parents that molly cuddle.

starschildmind
16-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Ok just need a massive rant. Seem to get all the children that parents pandar to.

I have cooked a dinner all week for a new child. He has no table manners. Cant feed himself and says he doesnt like anything.

Yesterday he didnt eat really. Mum picked him up and said. Ahhh dont worry we have toast and grapes at home if you dont want that. Really annoys me. I have 6 children that I cook for. Its hard enough while minding let alone if the parents are not supporting their eating. Tonight he spat his dinner out. I dont like it. Its pie and mash..
Hes so skinny as he doesnt eat.

Ok sorry rant over. Hes also 4.said that he still has a dummy and mum carries him everywhere. Think im fightubg a loosing battle. ... rahhhh!!

ziggy
16-01-2014, 05:39 PM
Ok just need a massive rant. Seem to get all the children that parents pandar to.

I have cooked a dinner all week for a new child. He has no table manners. Cant feed himself and says he doesnt like anything.

Yesterday he didnt eat really. Mum picked him up and said. Ahhh dont worry we have toast and grapes at home if you dont want that. Really annoys me. I have 6 children that I cook for. Its hard enough while minding let alone if the parents are not supporting their eating. Tonight he spat his dinner out. I dont like it. Its pie and mash..
Hes so skinny as he doesnt eat.

Ok sorry rant over. Hes also 4.said that he still has a dummy and mum carries him everywhere. Think im fightubg a loosing battle. ... rahhhh!!

Know just how you feel. Family left last month and her boys could do no wrong. Eldest child (aged 5) was on home/school diary because of bad behaviour during his first term at school. Whenever teacher wrote about a problem with his behaviour the mummy replied with things like 'i'm so proud of my son' . Made me laugh as she is senior school teacher herself.

I wonder do they feel guilty about working. I also had a parent years ago say to me that she was worried children would like me better than her!!!!!

I gave up doing meals a long time ago, when one child was allowed 7 biscuits for breakfast, mad

jackie 7
16-01-2014, 06:05 PM
I k ow what you mean. So hard to throw expensive food away. Try to reduce snacks and increase exercise. I do meals but when I have a bad eater I give a small portion. Also I often find I am so busy I forget to give snacks.

funemnx
16-01-2014, 06:15 PM
I think some parent are scared of their children.... :rolleyes:

Daisy1956
16-01-2014, 06:25 PM
I stopped doing evening meals years ago except for babies. I offer a snack and fruit after school so much better fussy eaters were driving me mad, some nights I made three diffetent meals.

yummyripples
16-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Have you ever spoken to a parent about unacceptable behaviour and the parent turn to the child and say
What have you been up to you little monkey? Come and give me a hug

FloraDora
16-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Healthy Under 5's (http://www.healthyunder5s.nhs.uk)

I have just discussed this initiative with parents..
Gives an opportunity to discuss whether to go for it, and the impact that will have on them and their child.

Some good advice here for parents who are not thinking ahead regarding health and eating..

Crazy as it sounds, parents are often more willing to go along with initiatives than just plain old common sense around eating....and advice from childminders..!!!

Simona
17-01-2014, 09:19 AM
This is a very clear instance of 'mixed messages' that will confuse the child and allow him to behave in such manner in the future....this parent, in my view, is reinforcing the child unwanted behaviour not help him

When parent and cm do things differently the only one to be at a disadvantage is the child and the cm will be left to deal with the unwanted behaviour

We do try to communicate with parents and it can be hard but this is the one area I really get tough and push towards some sort of 'shared strategy'
I learned my lesson at Uni when I researched this subject...the results were amazing but it has not deterred me

This govt pretends to spend a lot of money on 'hard working' families...perhaps asking parents to attend behaviour management courses would help in the long run and teachers will not be blamed for their 'inability' to control classroom behaviour which is the stick Ofsted is currently beating them with!

bunyip
17-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Bit of an aside, but on the same subject, I was so chuffed with one set of parents yesterday.

Little chap came in kicking and screaming "I don't want to go to bunyip's - I want to go to Gran & Granpops."

Mum: "Don't be silly: you do some lovely things at bunyip's."

Dad: "This is because bunyip doesn't let you walk all over him like Gran & Granpops do, isn't it?.

:D

shortstuff
17-01-2014, 09:42 AM
Bit of an aside, but on the same subject, I was so chuffed with one set of parents yesterday.

Little chap came in kicking and screaming "I don't want to go to bunyip's - I want to go to Gran & Granpops."

Mum: "Don't be silly: you do some lovely things at bunyip's."

Dad: "This is because bunyip doesn't let you walk all over him like Gran & Granpops do, isn't it?.

A realistic parent congrats bunyip x

dawn100
17-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Molly coddling children will comeback to bite parents in the future and parents don't seem to realise it. I have done youth work for over 10 years and have reguarly gone on youth camps, we reguarly have extremely fussy eaters and parents can't understand why their child is so fussy and are fed up of having to cook their child a different meal to themselves, when I say fussy one year we had a parent say their 14 year old would only eat cheese pizza and chicken dippers and chips, another their child would only eat McDonald's or fish fingers and chips, we also get from lots of parents that the only potatoes their child will eat is chips and that their child won't eat any veg or fruit. We often serve a roast dinner on one day and its shocking the number of 13-17yr olds who point to the sliced roast chicken and say what's that? And they aren't asking what type of meat it is but they are shocked when you tell them its chicken as the only type of chicken they are use to is covered in batter!!! I doubt when parents pander to their child that they think they will still be doing it when their child is a teenager.
Don't even get me started on the subject of parents not being able to say no to their kids!!!!

shortstuff
17-01-2014, 12:59 PM
I have one whos darling comes here. He has slapped me in the face and pulled my hair. OK no big surprises there but his reaction when I told him no in a firm voice was gobsmacking. oh and he expects a cuddle every time he has a tantrum too as thats how mum responds.

vals
17-01-2014, 05:17 PM
I have a family like that at the moment.I have been telling them since he was 6 months old that giving in to him all the time is only going to make things harder when he is older.the dad used to reply that there was plenty of time for 'all that' and he just wants his son to be happy. Only a little thing but an example of how its developed - they always let him press the button when they cross the road, to the extent that if they didn't need to cross the road they would cross and cross again just so he can press the button. it developed into him screaming if they walked past any lights without crossing, and now its worse because i can hear him coming as he cries so loud if someone else presses the button before him.