PDA

View Full Version : Child making herself vomit

CookieCutter
16-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Anyone have any experience with this? Lo is 15 months old- I had to send her home on Monday because she had vomited in her cot at nap time. I didn't see it happen, but she vomited again when I was cleaning her up (could have been from something stuck in her throat from first vomit). She's back today and has been fine all day. She was getting very sleepy so I set up the travel cot and she kept going over to it and reaching up to be put in. So I put her in, tucked her up and she started crying (side note, lo was going down for naps quite happily before she was off for 2 weeks at Christmas. Since she's been back after the break, she cries for a minute or 2 when I put her down for a nap, even though she's tired. I don't want to get in the habit of having to rock her to sleep when she was happy to go down on her own before. Is this mean?). I watched her through a crack in the door, she was sticking her fingers down her throat trying to make herself sick! Any advice on how to handle this?

miffy
16-01-2014, 12:37 PM
What do her parents have to say about this? Does she do the same at home if put to bed and how do they react? Maybe lo has learned this is a good way of getting out of bed quickly?

Miffy xx

CookieCutter
16-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Her parents told me that she sometimes vomits at bath time because she hates baths. Her sleep schedule at home is very relaxed, she might sleep in the car or pushchair for short periods of time during the day and doesn't have a set bedtime, just whenever she looks tired. She also still wakes up in the night and mum or dad will get up with her and play for a bit.

I can't be as relaxed because I have other children to think about and they have all adapted to nap time really well because we are so busy in the mornings that they are pretty tired after lunch. This lo was fine with nap time before the holidays. I figured it might take her a little while to get back into routine, but this new trick of making herself sick is making things complicated.

Luckily she failed to make herself sick this time (despite a good effort), and was asleep within 5 minutes. I'm torn between wanting to stop her trying to make herself sick ( but this would draw more attention to it and could maybe make it worse?), and just letting her get on with it and be stuck cleaning up sick quite often.

smurfette
16-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Would just watch her before she goes to sleep, if it's only five minutes might be doable, and say no sternly if you see her stick her fingers in her throat. If she manages to be sick, take her out beside cot (don't let her wander off and play, keep spare sheets near bed) and put her back in without comment

I had one who did this at mealtimes as she is a fussy eater, think mum and dad got upset and panicked when she did it, I just ignore the gagging (as long as I am happy she isn't choking!) and say no sternly. It's worked she has stopped here and at home

Yucky but it will pass!

sarah707
16-01-2014, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't let her sleep in a different room to you - I'd have her in a buggy next to me - if she chokes on her vomit she could die :(

Hugs xx

smurfette
16-01-2014, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't let her sleep in a different room to you - I'd have her in a buggy next to me - if she chokes on her vomit she could die :( Hugs xx

Yes absolutely good advice

VeggieSausage
16-01-2014, 09:48 PM
I have a child who has always made themselves vomit when they didn't want to do something or were told no, or trying to get attention or anything really. He is growing out of it now and he is just over 2, I would be constantly pulling his hand away from his mouth and saying no. Mums view was that he had a medical problem and would make a fuss of him if he gagged, I ignored it and he began to give up doing it......but I agree with the vomiting while in bed, maybe sleep in the buggy propped upright a little if possible....

CookieCutter
16-01-2014, 10:08 PM
Luckily she seems to only do it when sitting up in the cot, it's as if she's using this technique to avoid having to take a nap.

When I was taking the LA course to become a childminder, the ladies running the course made a big point of telling us we are not meant to let little ones sleep in push chairs unless they fall asleep when we're out and about. I was told Ofsted would mark me down for this. What would I need to do to get around this?

FloraDora
16-01-2014, 11:23 PM
I put my Lo's down for a sleep with door open and sit on the landing for 10 mins and complete diaries. They know I am not far away, I know that I can keep my eye on them.....they usually go off within a couple of mins, but if one isn't happy I am far enough away for them to settle on their own but near enough to know how they are reacting. I also have a Den upstairs to play in so if one has gone down for a nap I will read/ listen to quiet music/ do puzzles until I feel the other is ready for a sleep ..not usually very long after each other...but again, I can keep my eye/ hear them all as they go off.
I wouldn't have done that with my own - into cot, sleep tight, leave, go downstairs....but when you are responsible for other parents' children I am a little more .....I don't want to say caring.....or paranoid....but it is different when you have responsibility for children that are not your own....though if mine vomited I would be inches away...as Sarah 707 said ...you are in potential danger zone...who cares about routine or children doing things for attention!

jackie 7
16-01-2014, 11:35 PM
I have read this 2 times and still wonder where this child has learned how to do this. I like Sarah would have the child sleep near me and get parents to sign for it. Saying the child puts fingers down throat. I know a boy who does this to copy his mother. Is it a sign of neglect?