PDA

View Full Version : Cost of childcare

littlemiss60561
15-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Having recently submitted my tax return ( finally) and all the hoo har about the cost of childcare being extortionate, I think I'm going to add to my business cards that I'm a " not for profit" organisation! I like many, work 45 - 50+ hours And I didn't even put everything we can claim through! Just the main bits to stop the tax man taking anything more from my family. Had I of done I think I'd have dug a big hole and cried...
But, luckily I love my job so I'll keep on lol

Simona
16-01-2014, 08:13 AM
I think that all the politicians waffling on about the cost of childcare should actually be made to look at our accounts to realise what it means to deliver 'high quality' childcare and really look at the expenses.

In The Observer last Sunday there was a wonderful discussion on universal childcare and, for the first time, one of the people said very clearly@ it is costly to deliver high quality'

We have put up with it so long...getting pitiful funding and soldering on for the love of it...we should now do something about it or these headlines about costs will pop up over and over again

It would be good to be able to say we do the job for 'no profit' but I feel that as long as we are subsidising childcare for the well off it is wrong and immoral!

dawn100
16-01-2014, 09:30 AM
I don't think most cm's charge or make vast amounts of money. I know I certainly don't.
If a parents was to use a local day nursery for 8 hours a day it would cost them over £15 more a day than using me, yes I know nurseries will say they are open all year round and don't close for holidays like cm's, but if parents have got family back up for those times they can save huge amounts of money one parent of mine worked out I was £300 a month cheaper than the local day nursery, i charge the local rate for cms, because I charge per the hour and not a daily charge, my fee is all inclusive, this parent queried if I was sure I was charging enough and did I want her to pay more because she couldn't understand why there was such a difference in prices.
I can't help but wonder if the nurseries charge so much to subside the children who are receiving their free funding.

Simona
16-01-2014, 09:47 AM
I don't think most cm's charge or make vast amounts of money. I know I certainly don't.
If a parents was to use a local day nursery for 8 hours a day it would cost them over £15 more a day than using me, yes I know nurseries will say they are open all year round and don't close for holidays like cm's, but if parents have got family back up for those times they can save huge amounts of money one parent of mine worked out I was £300 a month cheaper than the local day nursery, i charge the local rate for cms, because I charge per the hour and not a daily charge, my fee is all inclusive, this parent queried if I was sure I was charging enough and did I want her to pay more because she couldn't understand why there was such a difference in prices.
I can't help but wonder if the nurseries charge so much to subside the children who are receiving their free funding.

I believe they do...they need to cover wages which by law have to be the minimum wage so yes the fees are adapted to cover costs and they have been rising steadily since we were forbidden to top up
If those who keep publishing statistics looked at evidence they would realise why costs are going up

CMs need to earn a good living too...we must now fight for that not continue to say we make no profit or earn so little...until then the funding will never increase
I get sick of hearing about 'hard working families'...are cms not hard working too and have families?