PDA

View Full Version : Pretend Interest

happyfeet2013
15-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Just wondering want to let y know of a recent experience

I recently had someone enquiring snot two child care places for her twins .... She had just moved on the area from England

We arranged a meeting after a in depth phone call about my services by which I never send out my fees verbally

She came over and with husband stayed an hour was so legitimate or so I thought

Anyway u though she was genuine as her story was believable

She seemed reassuring to me that she would be in touch with her decision

I never heard from her again

She left with all my info pack Etc

Last week there she is childminding herself !!!

Turns out she had no intention of needing childcare and was a mole .... Anyone else had this happen to ? We love in a very small village

Just feel cheated and wondered what I can do to protect myself in future

bunnyjess
15-01-2014, 03:50 PM
That's awful. I've never had it done to me but I've heard of others who have. I'd feel a bit violated. Saying that though there is a childminder near me that everyone's hearing bad stories about and I'd love to have a visit lol I never would dream of it though. Especially since a lot of people know who I am

Mouse
15-01-2014, 04:02 PM
I never understand why they do it. They must know they'll be found out sooner or later.

happyfeet2013
15-01-2014, 04:10 PM
I really think I more upset now as see her everyday morning school run with no twins and no explanation she blanks me

hectors house
15-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Fancy involving her husband in the deception, that's terrible! Why couldn't she just register and come to a childminding drop in group or find a toddler group where childminders go and ask for help with policies, fees etc instead of getting your pack by deception? I would have to tell her (to her face) that I am unable to pass any enquiries her way as she is clearly a liar and not to be trusted!:angry:

bunnyjess
15-01-2014, 04:24 PM
That's really bad if she just totally made up her children! I'd confront her but that's just me lol I've learnt that having friends who are childminders is a massive asset so more fool her!

loocyloo
15-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Years ago our village had a mum come and visit lots of us. She took notes "so I remember" and even copied bits of a friends policies .... a few months later she turned up as a childminder and we heard she was saying to prospective parents ... ' I know all the local minders and I'm better cos they do xyz and I do abc ' !!!
We all said if we were asked for help we would but if people were sneaky about it then there is no help or support offered.

Koala
15-01-2014, 05:11 PM
I have suspected that this has happened to me, can't prove it but even my assistant said "she's a childminder getting info" about the woman visiting.

bunyip
15-01-2014, 06:14 PM
I've had a few, but they never get past the phone call stage. I can usually tell by the questions they ask.

They ask if I have a FT place and the fee. Then they start asking all sorts of hypothetical questions about fees for PT, babies, TTO, holiday only, and can they get hold of my policies, permissions, etc. etc. I sometimes end up asking exactly how many children they have and what their work pattern is like. Once or twice, they've been so obvious that I just come straight out with it: "I'd rather you were just honest and said if you're a new childcarer looking for information to start up!"

I don't mind helping out honest newbies: I've had a number of pre-reg CMs over for a chat and look round. But I hate it when people have to be sneaky and deceitful - they're not even particularly bright either. I resent sharing the planet with people who think they're being clever when they're only proving they have lime jelly for brains. ;)

bunyip
15-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Tip:

Take their number when they call and make a note on the calendar.

Ring them back about 6 months later. "Hi, is that the new CM? I need childcare. ....blah blah........ Can I make an appointment to come and see you at your place? Yes, 8pm next Friday evening will be perfect, thanks so much, I'm really keen - see you then."

Don't keep the appointment.

I'm going to spent a long time in purgatory, but it's sure gonna be worth it. :D

Daisy1956
15-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Why do these people do it. My policies are unique to my personsal circumstances and the way I childmind. I am happy to help anyone but this is so sneaky.

Jayse74
15-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Yes! more than once!

I do tend to see people for what they are now and I am usually right! I will warn my Partner (she is the regged one) I let it run and review if I was correct! I cannot proove for certain, but I am sure we have had three possible Moles came to our home.

Anybody had weird emails? phone calls etc. Had some of that aswell!

Jayse74
15-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Why do these people do it. My policies are unique to my personsal circumstances and the way *****mind. I am happy to help anyone but this is so sneaky.

Thats the same as us! When my partner first decided "I am childminding im going to reg up" we did not sit there and decide "Aww lets go into other childcare settings and rip off everything"

My partner started out in a playgroup setting, then basically worked her way up and made a good bunch of friends (all childminders) and then gained their respect, because we asked for help!

We have even helped people when they needed it!

tigwig
15-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Wow that's so cheeky. Now im wondering if people have done that to me. I will rack my brains trying to think of odd calls/ visits ive had over the years!!

Ripeberry
15-01-2014, 09:31 PM
I've had a parent pack not get returned. Now I make sure I get their address before letting a pack out of my sight. I will go looking for it, if it is not returned!

happyfeet2013
15-01-2014, 09:39 PM
It's great to hear I'm not alone !!!

The thing is she didn't ask any questions out of the norm ?? So I say she has done it before no doubt

My husband was there for the meeting too and he fell for it too !!
I'm in the job two years now so probably have a lot to learn I just didn't think people would stoop so low

Like everyone else has said I wouldn't hesitate to help anyone out

line6
15-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Tip: Take their number when they call and make a note on the calendar. Ring them back about 6 months later. "Hi, is that the new CM? I need childcare. ....blah blah........ Can I make an appointment to come and see you at your place? Yes, 8pm next Friday evening will be perfect, thanks so much, I'm really keen - see you then." Don't keep the appointment. I'm going to spent a long time in purgatory, but it's sure gonna be worth it. :D

Brilliant! Must remember this just in case!

dawn100
16-01-2014, 12:05 AM
I've never had this happen to me but because I've heard of it happening to others I don't give out my parent pack on first visit, I have my copy in a document wallet which they can view whilst here and say to them something along the lines of if you think I'm the right person to care for your child contact me and we can arrange another meeting to discuss the paperwork side of things.
I know as a new cm starting out it can be very daunting and some cm's aren't very welcoming to newbies but to lie and deceive a cm - where do they think that's going to get them?