PDA

View Full Version : safeguarding online course

claire85
15-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Hi just wondered if any of u guys have done a safeguarding children course approved by ofsted online...if so which one

Thanks x

line6
15-01-2014, 12:29 PM
I did the Pacey one which the Ofsted inspector was happy wih when he saw my cerificate

moggy
15-01-2014, 12:30 PM
Hi just wondered if any of u guys have done a safeguarding children course approved by ofsted online...if so which one

Thanks x

It is the local authority, not Ofsted, who specify safe guarding courses. So can be different from area to area. If you want to do one online then ask your LA if they have one they approve.

sarah707
15-01-2014, 06:00 PM
As long as your LA is happy with the course then it's fine - but it has to be LA approved :D

Simona
16-01-2014, 09:23 AM
A safeguarding course has to cover the way your LA LSCB expects you to deal with concerns, who you approach and giving you the number to contact in case of concerns or allegations against you...so it is what is on offer in your LA you need to look into.
Anything online is like a refresher...unless this has changed but I have not seen anything to the contrary

My LA has different LSCB and points of contact...no online training will cover us for what is requested locally and this has to be reflected in our policies too

primula
18-01-2014, 11:48 PM
This was a question I was going to ask! So thank you. I was going to an online one which wouldn't have been acceptable, it is really difficult to get on a LA's course they fill up so fast and they are during the working week, use to have courses available for childminders only but that's a thing of the past, sadly.

line6
19-01-2014, 07:21 AM
I did check with my LA before doing the Pacey one and they were ok with it. The only thing was I had to pay - it wasn't included in my annual training with the LA

Simona
19-01-2014, 09:03 AM
Has anyone asked pacey whether their online course is suitable or is it just a general refresher?

Pacey would be able to answer because they would want CMs to be properly covered...I am sure they do a good course for those who like online training as do other associations (they are all more or less from the same trainer) but pacey would not know your specific LA and LSCB procedures in case you need to report a concern

This worry never arose before Safeguarding was introduced online but if you look at EYFS that has to be pertinent...also have you called your LA?...no one here could possibly advise unless they are in the same area and know your procedures