PDA

View Full Version : Quick advice please!

CookieCutter
14-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Yesterday at around 1pm a mindee vomited during her nap, then again a few minutes later when I was cleaning her up. Her mum collected her a little while later and I said that mindee could come back from 1 on Wednesday, providing she wasn't I'll again from the last time when I had her. I text mum earlier and she said lo hadn't been I'll again and her auntie was coming to look after her tomorrow so lo would be back on Thursday. Then a few minutes ago, mum rang me and said auntie can't make it and asked if I could have lo either first thing tomorrow or from 10:30.

What do I do? I don't think mum would try to send lo if she thought she was really ill, but I've made plans to take my own lo to softplay in the morning with another cm and her kids. So I would either have to cancel these plans or mindee would be around all the kids within the 48 hours. It's just a few hours shy...is it a big deal? Or should I hold my ground as this may set me up for more requests like this in future.

MessybutHappy
14-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Hold your ground, rules are rules, and this one isn't made to be broken.

Be firm, I've had one of my own throw up an hour before their exclusion was due to finish. Not sure my boss at the time believed me, but that's a whole different story!!

CookieCutter
14-01-2014, 08:33 PM
Thanks for your reply. Luckily it was sorted between family members so I won't have lo at all tomorrow.

I'm new to childminding, and before I officially started, I had quite firm ideas of how I would run my business. Now I'm working, I'm finding it hard to keep a good balance between doing everything by the book and providing a flexible service. On one hand, I was worried if I said no, parents would think me unhelpful and look for another cm. On the other hand, I don't want to get ill...and I slightly resent having been asked to bend the rules.

As it was only a few hours, I probably would have done it in this case but was slightly worried it would mean more would be asked of me next time. I also wanted to make sure this wouldn't invalidate my insurance or reflect negatively on my business as I already have another cm (who doesn't know me) bad mouthing me to parents and trying to steal business from me.

tigwig
14-01-2014, 09:08 PM
I have allowed this before for the sake of a few hours as the child was eating and drinking normally. I think if you do genuinely trust that the parents are telling the truth then 45 hrs instead of 48 cannot make any difference! The only time I wouldnt is if the child wasnt fully back to normal ie not eating as well as usual as thats a clear sign they are still feeling unwell.

MessybutHappy
14-01-2014, 10:23 PM
I think parents appreciate clearly defined boundaries as much as children do!

I also understand how hard it is to be flexible without being a doormat! I've not been in this business for long either, and have already experienced the parent who, once given an inch tried to take a mile, so now I'm clear, I'll be flexible, but I need notice and time to consider (don't make demands as you hand over your child!) and sometimes I'll give something a go on a trial basis only, even when I have every intention of ageing to the request / change, simply because it keeps the ball in my court, not theirs!

I will never accept a child back before 48 though, and I'm pretty clear that they only come back at the start of the next day, or possibly at a lunchtime! If they're sick at 10am I'll see them at lunchtime in two days time, not at nine o'clock!

littlemiss60561
14-01-2014, 10:56 PM
My ds was sick and then again ( quite violently) at 47 hours after. Had already advised parents that Im bound to be open as he was running about as normal.then had to let them down at the 11th hour. They understood as non of them wanted it!

KatieFS
15-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Just be careful with tummy problems - there is the norovirus around in our local area