PDA

View Full Version : How do you describe in ad you have pets?

smurfette
14-01-2014, 05:00 PM
Had a thing this afternoon where a parent is due to come tomorrow and I wanted to make sure they knew we had pets.. It's on my website but I don't always put it in ads, now thinking I should as it does put people off..

Anyone advice on how they word it on ads without sounding like a mad house?! (We have a dog, three rabbits and three guinea pigs and a lizard though I don't usually mention him as he is upstairs where mindees never go! ) the pets are only with mindees under supervision, and don't live in house, we walk the dog sometimes or they feed or stroke the small animals when I am with them

Thanks for help!

littletreasures
14-01-2014, 05:24 PM
I don't put that I have animals in ads.

When parents contact me about childcare and want to come and see my setting, I will then tell them that I have got animals and explain what type of dogs they are and how I keep the children safe etc.

Some people are put off straight away when they see you have animals. I like parents to meet my dogs and see how they are with the children. I have had 2 sets of parents that have wanted to come and see me, but have been put off when I mention the dogs. They have both visited the setting and on seeing how the dogs interact with the children already here and how I manage them have both sent their children to me and are really happy.

AliceK
14-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Up until quite recently I had 2 x Dogs, 2 x Cats, 4 x Rabbits and a GALS. I just write it all up in my ads, I figure it's best to let people know before they waste both their time and mine. I do also mention the dog(s) to them on the phone just to make sure they are aware and I tell them she will bark at the doorbell but not to be put off lol. Obviously I don't know how many people have NOT called me due to reading my ad but I do know that all the children I have their parents are glad we have pets and the children get a chance to interact with them especially the dog as they don't have dogs. One LO I have was terrified of dogs when she came for her visit, her mum explained to me that their friends dog jumps up at her. My dogs don't as they are not allowed to jump up and this LO now loves my dog will now happily kiss my dog (and no I don't encourage her to lol)

xxxxx

Ripeberry
14-01-2014, 05:40 PM
I mention all my animals and have pictures of them on my adverts (FB). They can be a selling point. Why waste people's time if they arrive and had no idea that you had pets?

tulip0803
14-01-2014, 07:01 PM
I mention it on line and childcare page but not on paper adverts. However I always tell parents on first contact (phone call/email/approach in toddlers etc) that I have cats even if it is through childcare/website in case they did not read that bit.

Bluebell
14-01-2014, 07:49 PM
most childminders I know advertise it as a bonus that they have pets - for example someone with several pets described 'a friendly dog and pet corner'
I used to advertise as 'pet free' because equally someone nervous with dogs or allergic to animals or suffering asthma or something may see it as a bonus.

jackie 7
14-01-2014, 10:50 PM
you could say I have a wonderful dog who is very soft.

charlottenash
15-01-2014, 08:06 AM
I wouldn't send my child to a house with dogs or cats so would appreciate honesty from the start. Just pop it in your advert 'were animal lovers' or something that brings up the question for parents.

smurfette
15-01-2014, 10:04 AM
you could say I have a wonderful dog who is very soft.

Thanks Jackie!

Thanks all I wouldn't like to put her pic up cos she is a German shepherd and although very soft and gentle with the kids might put people off! I also don't always introduce her cos she can be giddy with new adults though always gentle with the little people.. She also likes to give the paw to adults which might make people worried she will scratch! She is outside in minding hours and little ones only have supervised access to her and we walk her sometimes in the day time

That woman has cancelled apparently her dh not on for it

Never mind will get someone who is a dog lover! Put in my ad we are animal lovers so hope that stands out enough

tinka77
15-01-2014, 11:16 AM
I too have a dog (lab) and a cat. The dog has grown up with young children since she was a pup. She is getting on now and we basically have to walk over her as where she lies is where she wants to be lol. In my ad I say that we have animals and that the dog is fully trained and is never left on its own with the mindee's. I agree with you not to place a pic of your shephard online though as unfortunately this could frighten people off (due to its breed). I love shephards had two before cm and want another but will wait until no longer cming.